Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
An internet search seems to indicate he did say it (Monroe even responded to it without naming him). But when I saw him on t.v., he denied it and was very defensive of Monroe herself.

I don't know about you, but he always seems weird (not in a good way) when I see him in interviews. Don't know if something happened to him between his heyday as a heartthrob and the years thereafter, but I don't particular trust what he says about it either way.

I saw Curtis in a live interview at the Film Forum here in NYC about ten years ago, between a double feature of Some Like It Hot and Sweet Smell of Success (Now that's a double feature!), and he was entertaining but clearly almost certifiably insane, sporting a platinum-blond shoulder-length wig, an even blonder girlfriend (wife?). and a super-weird demeanor. It was fun but rather sad.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
OMG!

And I agree with you about that double bill.

-Topher
lshap
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
An internet search seems to indicate he did say it (Monroe even responded to it without naming him). But when I saw him on t.v., he denied it and was very defensive of Monroe herself.

I don't know about you, but he always seems weird (not in a good way) when I see him in interviews. Don't know if something happened to him between his heyday as a heartthrob and the years thereafter, but I don't particular trust what he says about it either way.

I saw Curtis in a live interview at the Film Forum here in NYC about ten years ago, between a double feature of Some Like It Hot and Sweet Smell of Success (Now that's a double feature!), and he was entertaining but clearly almost certifiably insane, sporting a platinum-blond shoulder-length wig, an even blonder girlfriend (wife?). and a super-weird demeanor. It was fun but rather sad.

Further proof that every generation strives to become what their parents were not. Jamie Lee appears to be the epitome of well-adjusted normalcy.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
It's the yogurt-induced regularity of her bowels.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:

Further proof that every generation strives to become what their parents were not. Jamie Lee appears to be the epitome of well-adjusted normalcy.

Yeah, but according to everything I have ever heard, her mother Janet Leigh was one of the most likeable and well-adjusted of movie stars. Leigh was clearly acting smart to dump Curtis, even though I think they remained friendly through the years. From what I've heard it was practically impossible to dislike Janet Leigh.
Syd
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Beware the Ides of March!

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
How long do the ides last? It's already the 16th here and although I had to weather the remnants of a hurricane that had wrought havoc across the south Pacific, so far I have survived the weekend unknifed or otherwise unharmed.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Syd
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
How long do the ides last? It's already the 16th here and although I had to weather the remnants of a hurricane that had wrought havoc across the south Pacific, so far I have survived the weekend unknifed or otherwise unharmed.

It's too late for you.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I ate a Caesar salad, but otherwise did not observe the Ides.

I, too, have wondered about the plural usage.

Friday was International Pi Day, and also Einstein's birthday. I took an interesting ride in an elevator.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
I ate a Caesar salad, but otherwise did not observe the Ides.

I, too, have wondered about the plural usage.

Friday was International Pi Day, and also Einstein's birthday. I took an interesting ride in an elevator.
Next year pi day will be 3/14/15. Which means that at 9:26:54 things will about as irrational as things get.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Smile

This news just broke, at noon EDT....

http://www.thewire.com/technology/2014/03/harvard-smithsonian-scientists-major-discovery-noon/359234/

This confirms gravitational waves, which had been predicted by General Relativity, in 1915. And supports the inflationary universe theory. This is big.

Here's the live press conference (if you can get it to load)....

http://media.fas.harvard.edu/core/cfa/cfa_live.html

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Very cool stuff. Now, just tell me what dark energy is.
bartist
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
One theory that a physicist friend of mine likes is that dark energy is composed of mass-varying neutrinos. If you google that phrase, you may find some hints (of varying intelligibility) on just what those MVNs are.

Also, this blogger at Caltech manages to write fairly lucidly on the subject....

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2013/11/16/why-does-dark-energy-make-the-universe-accelerate/

You can skip the parts where he starts spouting math, and still get a good sense of the theory that dark energy is essentially an aspect of space itself (Einstein had an early take on this, which was called "the cosmological constant").

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
It's the dark side of the force times distance.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
Very cool stuff. Now, just tell me what dark energy is.
The Koch nrothers.