Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Totally agree about Steve McQueen's lack of respect for the late great movie star who went by the same name. Add a middle initial! Change your first name to Stephen! Do something!

If that's his name, that's his name.
It is a little confusing, and I'd prefer something different from the actor's name, but a man is entitled to use his own name.
Wiki lists his given name as Steven, but maybe he's never used that.
I wasn't aware that he was black until I looked him up on wiki.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't mean a man can't use his name. I was going a bit over the top earlier...but, seriously, if you go into showbiz and your name is -- to use an actual example -- Michael Douglas, then maybe you take the name "Michael Keaton." Know what I mean? Especially if the name is a screen icon of the 20th century.

Maybe it's a British thing I don't get. (crumpets confuse me, too) I'm pretty sure, if he was a Yank and had built a film career here, he would have at least modified things a bit.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Well, I don't mean a man can't use his name. I was going a bit over the top earlier...but, seriously, if you go into showbiz and your name is -- to use an actual example -- Michael Douglas, then maybe you take the name "Michael Keaton." Know what I mean? Especially if the name is a screen icon of the 20th century.

Maybe it's a British thing I don't get. (crumpets confuse me, too) I'm pretty sure, if he was a Yank and had built a film career here, he would have at least modified things a bit.

James Stewart became Stewart Granger. (Of course the first James Stewart was still alive at the time.)
carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Or he could have come up with a weird spelling, like Spike Jonze. (Though there probably aren't many of us left who remember Spike Jones.)
Syd
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:

If he were an actor (or at least an American actor) he'd have to modify his name by SAG rules, but I don't think it applies to a British director.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Renee Zellweger will have a problem with another actress having her name.
Syd
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of actors named James Smith, so there's more to it. I suspect they (except maybe one) aren't members of SAG.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I like my crumpets toasted to carcinogenic oblivion.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Marc
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Boycotting? Me? No way. My computer's hard drive got fried. So I've been using my laptop. The laptop doesn't have my passwords and I couldn't remember my password here. I knew I'd get back a clone of my hard drive with all my passwords so I wasn't worried or I would have contacted Lorne for the necessary info.

Thanks Billy for posting my 12 Years...review. I was dying to share it here.
Marc
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Stepin McQueen.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Stepin McQueen.

Butterfly McQueen in drag.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
"I don't known nothin' 'bout being in no Bullitt."

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I like my crumpets toasted to carcinogenic oblivion.

The carbon's good for you. Like activated charcoal!

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
"I don't known nothin' 'bout being in no Bullitt."

LOL.
Syd
Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Catching Fire is in many ways an improvement over The Hunger Games, which is a bit of a surprise since the book is apparently quite a bit weaker. The movie is quite a bit darker. The events of the first movie have lit the fuse of rebellion, and the government (Donald Sutherland, particularly), feeling its grasp on power beginning to slip, are relying on ever more brutal means to terrorize the population into obedience. He tries to suborn Katniss and Peeta to his side, but that doesn't work too well, especially since the first stop on their triumphal tour is District 11, which, if you remember, was Rue's district.

New gamesmaster Philip Seymour Hoffman has a clever plan to make Katniss unpopular, and, when that doesn't work, advocates a 75th anniversary Tournament of Champions, putting Katniss and Peeta into Final Jeopardy, with less than a five percent chance of winning cash and valuable prizes.

Now think of this: You have 24 previous winners, each of whom is a hero in their home district, arbitrarily summoned to compete in a new tournament, contrary to their understanding from competing in the previous tournament that they could live the rest of their lives in peace, and at least eleven districts will wind up sorely pissed. Naturally, since Sutherland's character is named Coriolanus, he jumps at the idea.

I think the reason I like this movie better than the first is character development. In the first movie, only three of the tributes were really developed. This time, the alliance system is better developed, so we get to know many more. Although the tributes are supposed to kill each other, they've all suffered the trauma of their own tournament and have much more reason to side with each other against the gamesmaster. Coriolanus Snow is even having trouble keeping his own people in line, including Effie (Elizabeth Banks, given more of an opportunity to shine here); what hope does he have with the champion/tributes?

Volume three has been split into two movies because that sort of madness hasn't stopped.