Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

yambu
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
How to survive Cory Aquino.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Laughing but that's not the name of a movie.
yambu
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
That's right Smile

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The Place Beyond the Pines seemed promising, but is overlong, drags at times, and is two or three movies in one, with a pretty lame final act. I think I audibly groaned when 15 Years Later popped up on the screen. I guess it was bold to have SPOILER ** the main character die mid-film ** END SPOILER, but the replacement character/story was less interesting and it devolved form there when the film switches, again, to the offspring.
I almost switched it off at the 1'30" mark and the last hour didn't make that decision pay off.

Last edited by gromit on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
gromit--You need to white that SPOILER out. It's too important a spoiler.

I don't agree about The Place Beyond the Pines, which I thought held up until the end. But I understand your feelings, since the movie really is a few films in one. And once Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes cease to be the focus the movie loses a certain rhythm. IMO it gains another, however, and the new movie is almost as interesting as the first one. Bradley Cooper, Dane DeHaan, Harris Yulin, and Rose Byrne take up the slack well.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Gromit, " The Place Beyond the Pines seemed promising, but is overlong, drags at times..."

I wrote almost the same thing when I wrote about TPBtP.
bartist
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
Wadjda is one of the best films of 2013. It's story of a young girl in Riyadh who enters a Koran reading contest in order to win enough money to buy a bicycle has much to say about life in a conservative Islamic republic, and about the struggle for women's rights generally - but it's not a "message movie," just a heartfelt and subtle tale, told with humor and not one wasted frame.

(we were going to see 12 Years a Slave, at the same theater, but Wadjda was leaving that night)

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Don't think I've ever seen a Saudi film ....

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
You haven't, as a matter of fact.

First film shot in Saudi Arabia. Quite groundbreaking in a country that bans moviehouses.

And it's a great film. How cool is that?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
"Nebraska" is not being distributed to, uh, Nebraska by the Marcus Theater Co. Opens nationally today. But not in Nebraska. And, I checked, Marcus simply didn't buy any copies of the film, for anywhere. Not Chicago, or Madison, or any moviehouse in its multi-state domain. Have stern letters been written? Yes, they have.

Last edited by bartist on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Is the Marcus Theater Co. the only theatre company around? Chicago certainly must have more than one theatre company. Winnipeg has two and two local Cinemateques. One only shows movies once in a while.
bartist
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Well of course Chicago has other companies, and they may have a copy of "Nebraska" to show. But Marcus bought out everything in Lincoln except for a university funded arthouse. The prior local theater company, Douglas Theaters, took more risks and treated Lincoln like the white-collar college/government/research-hub town that it is, in terms of the features it selected. I think Madison, WI has a similar situation now. Marcus has a smarmy and annoying way of doing business that keeps cropping up, again and again.

It does look like the film's distributor goofed and only sent a single copy to the entire state, to Omaha's Filmstreams independent theater, as if Omaha were the only place in Nebraska.

So we can drive 70 miles and see it there, if we want. Looks like it will get here around Thanksgiving.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I watched The Shawshank Redemption (for the first time, believe it or not), then went to see 12 Years a Slave and am cherishing my freedom. I'm also retitling The Shawshank Redemption "19 Years a Prisoner."

Of the two, I like Shawshank better; it's certainly more pleasant to watch (though still brutal) and is thematically richer, but this is Current Film.

12 Years a Slave is certain to be a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars, and at the moment, it's only serious competition is Gravity. Chiwetel Ejiafor should be odds-on favorite to win Best Actor (and it's about time), though I actually think he was better in Serenity. It's a powerful film, with fine support from the omnipresent Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Michael Fassbinder, Lupita Nyong'o (in her first American film, apparently) and Brad Pitt.

By the way, I'd vote for Gravity, another film about survival, which strikes me as just as deep in a different direction, and is more intimate.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
As much as I'd like to see Alfonso Cuarón get the Academy Award for Best Director, I'd be curious to see the reaction if the first black director to win it was English.

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I watched The Shawshank Redemption (for the first time, believe it or not), then went to see 12 Years a Slave and am cherishing my freedom. I'm also retitling The Shawshank Redemption "19 Years a Prisoner."

Of the two, I like Shawshank better; it's certainly more pleasant to watch (though still brutal) and is thematically richer, but this is Current Film.

12 Years a Slave is certain to be a Best Picture nominee at the Oscars, and at the moment, it's only serious competition is Gravity. Chiwetel Ejiafor should be odds-on favorite to win Best Actor (and it's about time), though I actually think he was better in Serenity. It's a powerful film, with fine support from the omnipresent Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Michael Fassbinder, Lupita Nyong'o (in her first American film, apparently) and Brad Pitt.

By the way, I'd vote for Gravity, another film about survival, which strikes me as just as deep in a different direction, and is more intimate.

I much prefer Gravity to 12 Years, but it's a toss-up. And as much as I admire Ejiofor (and have for years), I don't think he deserves the Oscar.