<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Marc
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Billy, get over it.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy, get over it.

Dargis's new and very negative review of Blue Is the Warmest Color is helping me get over it. I thought I was just about the only person (except for my wife, who agrees with me) who thinks BItWC is wildly overrated and not so hot. Manohla Dargis agrees! The Counselor is back on my list.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
On Facebook, Marc has clarified the situation. It's the studio that's burying The Counselor, not the critics, whose reaction has been wildly mixed. Marc also notes that an audience of Austin hipsters (who one might suspect would be the perfect demographic for a film as layered and complex as this one) sat there in "bewildered silence." You can understand how a studio wouldn't throw a lot of publicity money away on a film it suspected was dead in the water from an audience-friendly point of view. The old saw goes "it's show business, not show art." Old and tired and infuriating as the phrase may be, it's still true.
bartist
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I had wondered about all the "Cormac is a novelist, but he can't write screenplays right," stuff that's being flung at TC. Some of his novels have a style that, to me, screams screenplay, so I'm thinking it can't be all that bad.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Marc wrote:
Ridley Scott's THE COUNSELOR is getting hammered by critics. Ignore them. This an engrossing and wonderfully dark mindfucker written by the stellar Cormac McCarthy.
I loved every twisted minute of it.

Ditto. We saw it last night. Thinking of seeing it again. That good. That intense, to say the very least.
Marc
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Inside Llewyn Davis is a wonderful wonderful movie that you hate see end. It's full of one beautifully constructed scene after another with a superb acting and singing performance by Oscar Isaac.

If Isaac doesn't get an Oscar nom for best actor I'll eat my guitar.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Inside Llewyn Davis is a wonderful wonderful movie that you hate see end. It's full of one beautifully constructed scene after another with a superb acting and singing performance by Oscar Isaac.

If Isaac doesn't get an Oscar nom for best actor I'll eat my guitar.

Great, but did you see me in it?
Marc
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Billy,

in what scene?
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy,

in what scene?

I actually sent you a detailed message on FB about where to look. Guess you didn't get it. I'm sitting at a table behind where Oscar Isaac is talking with a guy at the front desk at the Merchant Marine union or whatever it is. I'm pretty close to the camera, Ethan gave me personal direction, and Joel told a friend of mine that he thinks I have a great look, so I'm hoping I made the final cut.
Syd
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
IMBd has you listed as Merchant Marine (uncredited), so it looks like you made the final cut.

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
IMBd has you listed as Merchant Marine (uncredited), so it looks like you made the final cut.

Syd--Thanks, but that doesn't mean anything. I put my name in there months ago. IMDB is like Wikipedia. If you're registered, you can change, add, delete, info. They have to check it out, but usually it works. Whether I end up making the cut is quite another story.
Marc
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Billy,

I don't remember the Facebook message. Sorry. I don't recall seeing you in the movie but that doesn't mean much. I'm definitely going to see it again.

You are prime Coen Brothers material. If they're smart they'll put you in a bigger role next time.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy,

I don't remember the Facebook message. Sorry. I don't recall seeing you in the movie but that doesn't mean much. I'm definitely going to see it again.

You are prime Coen Brothers material. If they're smart they'll put you in a bigger role next time.

That's what I'm hoping for. I dubbed Miller's Crossing and The Hudsucker Proxy and Joel is on record as saying he thinks I rock. So fingers are crossed and I'm tweeting the Coens these two videos.

www.tinyurl.com/k987ajr

www.tinyurl.com/lan5akb
knox
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Speaking of comedies (lame segue)....anyone seen "In a World," Lake Bell's directorial debut? Heard some good things, and the theme looks to be of interest to movie buffs.
bartist
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
Knox -

I saw "In a World" last weekend and much enjoyed it. I should have reviewed it then, because the theme is VO artists, mixed in with a funny and offbeat romcom and a girl with a giant PITA of a father. I would put this on my list of best comedies of 2013, up there with We're the Millers.

This is an auteur effort (writes, directs, stars) from the improbably named Lake Bell (i'm going to take a WAG and say that's not her birth name?), ably supported by a great ensemble. Wiki or imdb this, and then go and see it!