Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
"...or, as I believe is more likely, that he really is one of the lizard people. "

Ha! I wasn't sure until the Matt Lauer interview (where he coldly rebuked Matt and the entire psychiatric profession, and generally radiated the kind of frosty alien disdain usually only seen in the top galactic Overlords).

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Jeremy's analysis rings true to me. I've always found Tom Cruise to be likeable and even charismatic, but it's true that his movie characters seem more believable than he is as himself. It might just be that glossy movie-star grin, though.

Incidentally, the manager of one of my favorite Upper West Side restaurants is from Argentina, and he was featured in the newspaper a year or so ago when the restaurant had an "Evita" promotion. Seems his family was very poor when he was a kid, and he wrote a letter to Evita, and a few days later some trucks showed up at their house and unloaded food and clothing. You can't say anything bad about her charity to him!
knox
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
High flying and adored!

Cruise strikes me as bizarrely arrogant, which gets less attractive as he moves into his forties. It was perfect for his role in Top Gun, I'll give him that. His "Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt...." moment was scary. He and Travolta could both be aliens, I'm completely prepared to believe that.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I am convinced that people who end up joining nuthouse organizations like Scientology, for one, get it from their genes. Almost everyone I know who hooked up to some cult or another after looking for one until they find one that they believe will make them whole, has at least one parent who also has that same genetic desire. They want to believe in something and they want to be a part of something.
bartist
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's in their genes or in everyone's genes. Some people are brought up to ask questions and question authority and received wisdom. Skepticism is a contagious meme, too.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I think very few people are brought up to ask questions--parents like to be obeyed. Of course i was brought up to be a polite Southern Baptist female, but thank goodness I moved to New York. It's hard for some people to leave the family traditions, although there are a few who are itching to break out. Still, nobody's burning heretics anymore, so some progress has been made.
Trish
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
High flying and adored!

Cruise strikes me as bizarrely arrogant, which gets less attractive as he moves into his forties. It was perfect for his role in Top Gun, I'll give him that. His "Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt...." moment was scary. He and Travolta could both be aliens, I'm completely prepared to believe that.

His 40s already came and went, he's 51 now
bartist
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I think very few people are brought up to ask questions--parents like to be obeyed. Of course i was brought up to be a polite Southern Baptist female, but thank goodness I moved to New York. It's hard for some people to leave the family traditions, although there are a few who are itching to break out. Still, nobody's burning heretics anymore, so some progress has been made.

Overstated earlier....I meant there were liberal families where one meme is that it is okay to question things. But, yes, parents want to be obeyed, so it does somewhat depend on the child's personality as to how that is sorted out. And two parents (if both are around) can have differing levels of tolerance for the child who takes the "ask questions" meme too much to heart. Wink

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
knox wrote:
High flying and adored!

His 40s already came and went, he's 51 now

Wow. Factchecking much appreciated. I checked his wiki article and they do post a recent photo in which he is clearly starting to show his age. Until he turned 50, he generally managed to always appear 25-30 years old.
bartist
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Jason Segel and Paul Rudd meet Rush....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3yjfoorsU

"We grew out our show beards just for tonight!"

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Jason Segel and Paul Rudd meet Rush....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3yjfoorsU

"We grew out our show beards just for tonight!"

Very funny stuff.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
PAUL KRUGMAN

Rebels Without a Clue

The Republicans are flirting with financial disaster.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/opinion/krugman-rebels-without-a-clue.html?ref=opinion

carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Krugman was on George Stephanopolis' show yesterday morning, at the roundtable with two other reasonable people and Bill Kristol. When Kristol babbled the usual Republican rationales, Krugman took him down beautifully. (Of course it didn't make a dent in Kristol, who hears only what he wants to hear.)
marantzo
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The Republicans keep saying that the majority of Americans don't want medicare. Even though the medicare that they will get is certainly not what it should be, but it is still a lot better than what they have now, nothing except very expensive and full of holes, medical insurance. Are the majority of Americans that stupid?
carrobin
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
The Republicans keep saying that the majority of Americans don't want medicare. Even though the medicare that they will get is certainly not what it should be, but it is still a lot better than what they have now, nothing except very expensive and full of holes, medical insurance. Are the majority of Americans that stupid?

It's Obamacare that the Republicans say "most Americans" don't like, not Medicare--they're well aware that Medicare, which covers everyone over 65 (to a large extent), is extremely popular. They keep beating the drum without ever mentioning that nearly half of the polled people who say they don't like Obamacare give an inconvenient (to the Republicans) reason: it doesn't go far enough, doesn't cover everyone, gives too much to the insurance companies. Those people (like me) want to expand Medicare to cover everyone. But most of us know we'll never get that from this Congress.