Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

carrobin
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I have a Nook--though I've read only three books on it, because it's heavier than my old paperbacks, and I'm always trying to lighten the load of stuff I carry around. I've put "Pride and Prejudice," "Mansfield Park," and the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" books on it just to have them close at hand if I take a notion to look into them again. (My Hitchhikers paperbacks, signed by Douglas Adams, are too fragile to read now.) I'm thinking of putting "1984" on it too, or maybe something of Orwell's that I haven't read.

My subway reading at the moment is an old Angela Thirkell paperback, "The Brandons," that is rather charming--I might look up some other books of hers. Although I've never gotten around to reading it, I had to put tape on the spine to hold it together for travel. I have too many books like that.
mitty
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Hey y'all. Smile

We both have the keyboard kindles, and I finally caved and bought a Kindle Fire. I still love and have many, many "real" books, and we intend to continue buying them. But, the kindle comes in handy, and I've got, I know, over 250 on mine already.

I'm reading The Infatuations (a real hardback!) by Javier Marias right now, and loving it.
Befade
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Bart...This summer I traveled all over Portland on the light rail and buses for $2 a day! How about Powells Books?

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
4 books I read and loved this summer:

Joyland -Stephen King
This is where I leave you AND One last thing before I go - Jonathan Tropper (my new favorite author - he's so funny and brilliant at dialogue)
Me Before You - JoJo Moyes[/list][/list]
Syd
Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Trish wrote:
4 books I read and loved this summer:

Joyland -Stephen King
This is where I leave you AND One last thing before I go - Jonathan Tropper (my new favorite author - he's so funny and brilliant at dialogue)
Me Before You - JoJo Moyes[/list][/list]

What's Joyland about? It slipped beneath my radar.

My book of the summer, easily, is Neil Gaiman's "The Ocean at the End of the Lane." Possibly the best book he's ever written, and he's one of our best writers.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Joyland is set in the early 70s at a (SC or is it NC - that part I forget) seaside carnival which a young man, a college student, comes to work at (partly for money and partly to forget a broken romantic relationship) there is an unsolved murder mystery from several years back - a young woman murdered on a haunted house ride- that serves as backdrop to the young man's experience working at the carnival.

It a fun, quick satisfying read
bartist
Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Stephen King is getting soft. "Joyland" is more sentimental, sweet, and tear-jerking than it is spine-chilling. But it's still a pretty good yarn about carnies and is, for King, astoundingly brief. (under 900 pages IOW....actually, it's even under 300 pages!)

Saw the Kings of Maine piece in the NYT magazine....hadn't realized there were so many writers in the clan.

Posted this a couple pages back, Syd and Trish.

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
"Joyland" sounds good--and I'd also like to read "Doctor Sleep," but first I have to read "The Shining," since it's apparently a kind of sequel. A friend told me that "The Shining" book is better than the movie, but I still have the unread paperback from 20 years ago.

As for Neil Gaiman, I've read a bunch of his novels and a couple of the graphic books, and look forward to "The Ocean at the End of the Lane," though first I want to read "The Graveyard Book" that's been sitting on my to-read pile for months.
mitty
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Charles read Joyland, his first King novel, and liked it. I haven't read it yet.

I just bought Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Finn. It's an account of after Hurricane Katrina, the story of the hospital's lack of evacuation plans and the horrors that followed. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but seriously want to.

I discovered two new detective authors this summer. Bill James and James Sallis, and have read a couple of each so far.
I read Replay by Ken Grimwood and The Rook by Daniel O'Malley, both new authors to me as well. From what I've been told, Replay is Grimwood's best.

Read and saw World War Z. Smile
marantzo
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Mitty, don't you ever see movies? Shocked
bartist
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Carro - The Shining is revered, in horror circles, as a classic, but I've always felt it was somewhat overrated. It's like King is a good organist, but sometimes he pulls out too many stops and tries to deafen the congregation - that was my experience of The Shining, i.e. a lack of subtlety.

WWZ sounds like something I'd rather read than see.

The only apocalyptic thing I've read recently is Justin Cronin's "The Passage." Not bad, but Cronin caught a case of King's motormouth and wrote 700-plus pages when 400 would have done fine.

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Laughing We do, but a lot of great films never come to New Orleans! grrrr

Lately we've seen a few.....WWZ as I mentioned, The Grandmaster (gorgeous), Before Midnight (meh, after the first two, it was a let down), Reds2 (fun, Helen Mirren with machine guns...). I know there are a couple of others, but can't remember titles at the mo.

Y'all see such great films, I wish they'd get down here. About 75% of the films they do show here are ones we are not interested in seeing.

How ya doin'? Smile
mitty
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Bartist, Def agree on WWZ. The book is a fascinating, almost documentary style series of essays on the encounters between the living and undead all over the world.
I've never been a fan of zombie books/films etc. But. Charles picked up the book, and raved about it. I hadda read it then. Smile It is a winner.

A few of the essays tie up, but it's more of a world picture of the events.
Some are downright tear jerkers, some so chilling in aspect I'm still mulling them over. There is one to do with the North Koreans that will chill you to and beyond the bone.

The film was ok on it's own, and incorporated a few of the essays, but had a main character (Brad Pitt), and had a linear story line. It did change at least two major events, and some of the behaviors of the zombies themselves. ennh, didn't bother me that much. Take each on it's own merits.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
mitty wrote:
Laughing We do, but a lot of great films never come to New Orleans! grrrr

Lately we've seen a few.....WWZ as I mentioned, The Grandmaster (gorgeous), Before Midnight (meh, after the first two, it was a let down), Reds2 (fun, Helen Mirren with machine guns...). I know there are a couple of others, but can't remember titles at the mo.

Y'all see such great films, I wish they'd get down here. About 75% of the films they do show here are ones we are not interested in seeing.

How ya doin'? Smile

Doing OK, nothing great.

My granddaughter lives in New Orleans. I think she's waitressing now, University degree and all. Her name is Ruby Bloch, so if you see a waitress with a name tag, Ruby, ask her if she's Ruby Bloch. Laughing
bartist
Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Bart...This summer I traveled all over Portland on the light rail and buses for $2 a day! How about Powells Books?

What a wonderful vacation for you! One of those cities perfect to hang out in. Powells, I hope, continues to survive the assaults of Amazon, et al. I loved biking across the bridges when I lived there as a young man, attending Reed College.