Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
If there is one thing in this world that is NOT underrated, it is Breaking Bad. Best television series in the history of television.

That damn DVD release better come soon after the final episode at the start of October! I've got the bag of Funyuns ready.

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it will be repeated on connected sites.
Marc
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
BROADCHURCH is astonishingly good.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you are watching it Marc. It is really something that doesn't pull any punches and the town and the people are as real as can be. It's no comedy.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Broadchurch shows that David Tennant can go on to have a much bigger career than any other Doctor Who. (As if Hamlet hadn't already proved it.)
bartist
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Sacre merde! Just learned that the first half of season five of Breaking Bad is actually out on DVD. So the process of partial catching up begins here. But what a ripoff! You get half a season, essentially, for $40, the same price as the previous full seasons. Now there's some clever, i.e. diabolical, marketing.

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Today I went down to Time Warner to trade in yet another (third in three months) defective remote control that suddenly refuses to change channels (new batteries don't help), and got home to find my Time Warner bill, which is the same as last month's despite the fact that I no longer have access to David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, CBS Sunday Morning, Person of Interest, or David McCallum (the only reason I watch NCIS). It's very very annoying but I don't have an antenna connection or Amazon Prime, and all the bickering corporations care about is the guys who watch football (so they're apparently frozen until sometime next month). To make it worse, I have Time Warner stock options (which have actually done very well over the past few months)--though Time Warner is letting go of Time Inc. (the publishing side, my employer) by the end of this year. I'd send them an angry e-mail if there were an e-mail address--but they just have the website and a phone number, which requires much punching of buttons to get to a human, and what could a puny human do anyway?
Earl
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
BROADCHURCH is astonishingly good.

Agreed!

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Earl, where have you been?

What night is Broadchurch on down there? I'll be watching it tonight and tomorrow night. According to my TV list Monday just lists it as NEW, not NEW/FINAL so I guess I'll be seeing it next week too.
knox
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
carrobin
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
"Broadchurch" is on here in NYC on BBC America on Wednesday nights.

Has anyone seen "Case Histories," which ran three episodes here on PBS (next week they're starting "Silk" in that time slot, which is annoying because I think there are three other episodes of "CH")? Jason Isaacs plays Kate Atkinson's appealing hero, Jackson Brodie. The three episodes that have been shown were like a movie series, complex and connected. I want more (and they still haven't done "Started Early, Took My Dog").
marantzo
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I just checked next week's schedules and it seems like my Monday Broadchurch episode is the last. Well that's far ahead of the US episodes so enjoy.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
I saw the last episode of Broadchurch last night. WOW! It was riveting and strongly emotional. The episode was 15 minutes longer than the other episodes.

At the end titles it says that Broadchurch will continue.

Happy about that.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
My friend who is adept at pulling shows off the Internet just sent me a disk of "Broadchurch," with a label that says "season one." He had watched the whole thing and liked it a lot, so we're both happy to know that more is to come.
bartist
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
We have had a word from Earl this year. Just one. It was "agreed." I found the use of the past tense to be intriguing and suggesting perhaps an ironic shift from past to present. The choice of exclamation point was a bold and surprising touch, an explosion of the emphatic following hard on the heels of a simple verbal nod. I will ruminate for some time over that choice, and eagerly await the next word.