Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Befade
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Netflix streaming is where I discovered an amazing French tv show.....I know this is movies......but I'd skip any movie to see one more episode of Spiral.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
PACIFIC RIM has its moments but overall is overlong and the action repetitive.
Excellent use of 3D.

Now I have to see it just to see if there is such a thing as excellent use of 3D!

Marc, got my Doug Sham cd of his singles today....good stuff.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quote
Kate wrote:
I saw Van Helsing with my 8 year old son tonight. I know no one cares about the movie, and frankly, I did not want to see it myself, but I enjoyed it because I watched it through his eyes. I want to write more on why, but need to gather my thoughts. I know that most of you don't care, but it is interesting how seeing a film with a kid can alter your perception of it.

I thought it was a hoot! Thank gawd I'm not married to the idea of watching only boring adult fare....there is so little made to laugh and have fun with I seek it out with both paws!

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yet another Netflix streaming gem. It's called Starlet and I saw it in a theater, but it's genuinely an unknown film. Just terrific, with two wonderful performances by two women decades apart in age. The title role is played by Mariel Hemingway's daughter Dree.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
42 was just okay. Rather perfunctory in its set-up and character introductions. I did like some of the music, the cars and the old-timey announcing of the games. Those were really the highlights for me. The film did take on an edge when Jackie Robinson makes it to the Majors and gets blasted with racist taunts. But mostly it felt like a fairly high-end TV movie. I liked The Court Martial of Jackie Robinson better, which had better more developed characters.

Last edited by gromit on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Have never had any desire to see 42 because of the reasons gromit cites. It sounded just plain dull.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The movie about Jackie Robinson played by Jackie Robinson was good. I saw it way back when.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
A friend said 42 was a snoozer. Ditto Pacific Rim, so I skipped it. Can hope for sci-fi aimed at older audience, but not holding breath. And local multiplex monopoly hiked ticket price again, so you may not see me in Current too much. Film copain and I have been dropping our drachmas in restaurants and then supplying our own stories for entertainment. So it goes.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I am confused by Pacific Rim, as in I just don't understand why it exists it. Is it because I'm not an American or a teenager that I find it antithetical to the zeitgeist. Is this obsession with the apocalypse a religious thing or a product of realtive American decline? Life versus machines: no contest - witness the denuding of the ravaging of the word's oceans and forests. Glorification of the military? Oh look at all those shit blockbusters - obviously they just weren't big enough or loud enough.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Ghulam
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Two movies I really enjoyed last week.

Jeff Nichols' Mud, with Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon. Fourteen year old Tye Sheridan is excellent. I had liked Jeff Nichols' Take Shelter a lot too.

Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha with Greta Gerwig. Similar crowd as the one in HBO's Girls, but more mobile.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I've cancelled my Netflix streaming membership. The movie choices are shit and not worth the price.

Totally untrue. Some of the best movies I have seen in recent months have been under-the-radar selections from Netflix. You probably didn't know where to look. There's a website called www.instantwatcher.com that provides some of the best choices, and if you go on Netflix's website they will make suggestions based on what kind of films you like.

Just noticed today that Quartet and Encore, two Somerset Maughm collections, are available. So is A Late Quartet, the pretty new movie with Walken and others as a string quartet. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Not worth the price? Wrong.

Uh, I know where to look. I stand by my statement. Every time I want to see a movie and look it up in Netflix it ain't available streaming. Not worth my money for that service.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I've cancelled my Netflix streaming membership. The movie choices are shit and not worth the price.

Totally untrue. Some of the best movies I have seen in recent months have been under-the-radar selections from Netflix. You probably didn't know where to look. There's a website called www.instantwatcher.com that provides some of the best choices, and if you go on Netflix's website they will make suggestions based on what kind of films you like.

Just noticed today that Quartet and Encore, two Somerset Maughm collections, are available. So is A Late Quartet, the pretty new movie with Walken and others as a string quartet. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Not worth the price? Wrong.

Uh, I know where to look. I stand by my statement. Every time I want to see a movie and look it up in Netflix it ain't available streaming. Not worth my money for that service.

The only advice I have for you is: open your mind to movies you didn't "want" to see and see some.

Case in point: tonight I will be seeing The Lone Ranger, a movie I had no intention of seeing, but because people here have raved I am going. Still keeping my expectations low, but going.
gromit
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I am confused by Pacific Rim, as in I just don't understand why it exists it.

The trailer looked awful
But not my cuppa.

I assume it's just a mish-mash combining sort of Transformers with other Apocalyptic films, with a War of the Worlds concept reduced to just fighting and action.
Looked like just lazy silly junk to me.
But it exists to make money ....

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
I am pretty stoked about Sharknado. DVD release is Sept. 3rd. The tagline, which I consider to be perfection, is "Enough said!"

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Billy,

Get over the condescension. The whole point of Netflix streaming was that they wanted people to stop renting DVDs so they upped the price considerably for those who wanted both streaming and mail delivery service. But almost nothing one has heard about and is curious to see is available on streaming. So one is forced to maintain both services at double the rate. Not worth it. Anything that is steaming is pretty much available on DVD, not vice versa. Thus going with the mail-order only makes better sense financially. It's not particularly hard to figure out.

-Topher