Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
While watching The Golden Voyage of Sinbad I found myself hoping Koura would complete his quest. After all, he tried so hard and sacrificed so much, and he must have had his good side or his henchman wouldn’t have been so concerned. He was also caring to his homunculi. And when you think of it, Koura did succeed, for what good it did him. Very sympathetic villain by Tom Baker, who would go on to be the fourth Doctor Who.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
I think I only saw The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. Remember really liking it.

-Topher
Shane
Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I watched Gold Diggers of 1935 and 1937. Of these 1933>1935>>1937. 1935 has the amazing production number of "Lullaby of Broadway," and "The Words are in My Heart," which is that supposedly has 56 white grand pianos, but I think I counted 64. Maybe eight of them were props. It also has Gloria Stuart when she was an ingenue. 1937 has only one big production number, "All Is Fair in Love and War," which is also a great song, and had Dick Powell and Joan Blondell playing lovers, which was probably easy since they'd just gotten married or were about to.

1935 has a good cast that includes Adolphe Menjou, Alice Brady, Hugh Herbert and Glenda Farrell, and has a lot of fun with people caging money out of tightwad dowager Brady, who's the widow of the Flypaper King. 1937 also had Farrell (she's terrific) and a hypochondriac Broadway producer Victor Moore, whose crooked partners have squandered his money in the stock market and now suggest (at Farrell's suggestion) that they take out a $1 million insurance policy and wait for Moore to die. They hire Dick Powell, playing about the most incompetent life insurance agent imaginable, and they have pretty much to lead Moore and Powell by the nose, to both's bewilderment. Moore and Powell, and later Moore and Farrell play off each other pretty well. There's a very nice scene toward the end between Moore and Farrell where they show how good they could be. Blondell's good as usual, and Powell's in fine voice.

There was also a 1929 one called "Gold Diggers of Broadway", which is now mostly lost, but is notable as the musical that gave us "Tiptoe Through the Tulips," and is a remake of a silent film which in turn was based on a play. One of the surviving reels contains the "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" production number and is on the disc of "Gold Diggers of 1937." There's also a 1938 one, "Gold Diggers in Paris."
Which one is it which hast the cat being fed on the fire escape in the beginning scenes and it standing alone mewing at the window at the end??

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
"Lullaby of Broadway"

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is definitely not as good as The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Patrick Wayne really isn't much of an actor and Taryn Power shows why her film career was brief, though she's decorative. Jane Seymour has her moments but Patrick Troughton steals the show. Margaret Whiting is the evil sorceress who turns a prince into a baboon so her son can become caliph;. Apparently there is a rule that says baboons can't become caliph no matter how noble their birth. So Sinbad (Wayne) and the prince's sister (Seymour) and the baboon (special effect) travel first to an island where they pick up a philosopher (Troughton) and his beautiful daughter (Power), then go off to find a shrine in Hyperborea where the prince can be restored. In hot pursuit is the sorceress (Norma Desmond), her son and a bronze minotaur, the last to row their bronze boat.

Highlights are some of the special effects, the best of which is the very realistic chess-playing baboon, and also Minoton the minotaur, and a battle between a troglodyte and a saber-tooth tiger. Less successful are skeleton-like ghouls and a giant walrus, although the last has the advantage that you don't see people fighting giant walruses every day. I found Whiting's accent distracting and her performance over the top.

Last edited by Syd on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
By the way, the Arctic scenes were shot in Malta during a heat wave and everybody was wearing parkas. Pretty convincing fake ice.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Lili. Finally got to see this and it's wonderful with the best performance I've ever seen by Leslie Caron. There's lots of things going on here both light and dark, with the troubled and bitter puppeteer being both, and the naive Lili leaving childhood and discovering the existence of cruelty. ("She is realizing that there is cruelty in the world, and she is learning to protect herself from it.")

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
"Lullaby of Broadway"

Thanks, liked it but it was a sad movie.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
"Revenge of the Electric Car" (2011) - superb documentary. Profiles e-car mavens like Elon Musk (the Tesla) and Bob Lutz (the GM veep who 180'd on the worth of e cars), and the head of Nissan who got behind the Leaf (which might be my next car). Lots of interesting sidebars - a mechanic who converts old sportscars to electric and his various ordeals - Danny DeVito on his sadness when GM took back their EV-1 and then rebound when Chevy came out with the Volt - how Tesla nearly went belly-up and then was saved - and much more. The film is by Chris Payne, same guy who made "Who Killed the Electric Car?" This one has more emphasis on the people - fascinating.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Lili. Finally got to see this and it's wonderful with the best performance I've ever seen by Leslie Caron. There's lots of things going on here both light and dark, with the troubled and bitter puppeteer being both, and the naive Lili leaving childhood and discovering the existence of cruelty. ("She is realizing that there is cruelty in the world, and she is learning to protect herself from it.")

As you may or may not remember, this is one of my all-time favorite films, on my top 20 of all time--or top ten depending on the day you ask. Also that Leslie Caron's performance is one of my top three female performances of all time. It's up there with the greatest ever. The movie is a miracle; but how did you manage to see it? The DVD is available but the movie is never shown anywhere.
Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Syd wrote:

As you may or may not remember, this is one of my all-time favorite films, on my top 20 of all time--or top ten depending on the day you ask. Also that Leslie Caron's performance is one of my top three female performances of all time. It's up there with the greatest ever. The movie is a miracle; but how did you manage to see it? The DVD is available but the movie is never shown anywhere.

I recorded it off TCM.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

I recorded it off TCM.

Now I'm really pissed. I've been waiting for that to come on and I missed it!
Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Sanshiro Sugata was Kurosawa's first directoral effort, was made during World War II, had seventeen minutes cut out of it by wartime censors, and is still pretty good, and gets better as it gets along. It's about the conflict between proponents of jujitsu and judo in the 1880s. Judo was developed from jujitsu by Kanō Jigorō, and was resented by jujitsu practitioners as a heresy. Sanshiro Sugata wants to learn jujitsu, but when he sees Shogoro Yano (I believe a fictional Kanō Jigorō) defeat an entire school of jujists students, he switches allegiances. Sanshiro learns quickly, and is pig-headed and very good. In the last half he has three major matches, the best of which is the second with Hansuke Murai (Takashi Shimura in the first of his many Kurosawa films), which is complicated because Sanshiro was earlier captivated by Murai's daughter without either knowing who the other was.

There's a part II which is considered more of a propaganda film, which this one is not.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
"Revenge of the Electric Car" (2011) - superb documentary. Profiles e-car mavens like Elon Musk (the Tesla) and Bob Lutz (the GM veep who 180'd on the worth of e cars), and the head of Nissan who got behind the Leaf (which might be my next car). Lots of interesting sidebars - a mechanic who converts old sportscars to electric and his various ordeals - Danny DeVito on his sadness when GM took back their EV-1 and then rebound when Chevy came out with the Volt - how Tesla nearly went belly-up and then was saved - and much more. The film is by Chris Payne, same guy who made "Who Killed the Electric Car?" This one has more emphasis on the people - fascinating.

Hugely entertaining. I love the scene where the Musk is standing by an as-yet undelivered Tesla and discussing with staff how much longer they can stall on the final tweaks before the buyer gets fed up...and then the guy behind the camera chimes in that it's HIS Tesla, i.e. Chris Payne has bought one and been waiting oh so patiently. And, of course, Bob Lutz is always fun. 20 years from now, this docu will be viewed as a classic.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Room at the Top: for some reason I thought this was going to be a comedy but actually it's a well-done soap opera/class conflict movie in which angry young man Laurence Harvey is determined to get out of his working-class background, and to do this sets his eye on the beautiful daughter of the richest man in town. To get close to her, he joins a theater troupe to which she and Simone Signoret belong. Harvey has an eye for the ladies, and the older Signoret offers him sympathy, then tea, then herself. Harvey has already seen how her husband mistreats her, and Harvey and Signoret fall in love, while Harvey keeps an eye on the rich man's daughter. After a quarrel with Signoret, he begins an affair with the rich girl, and things get emotionally complicated.

Harvey is effective as the young man with a chip on his shoulder (actually the whole tree), but Signoret is outstanding in what is considered the best role by this great actress. I thought she was excellent in Army of Darkness, too, but this is her as a lead and dominating the movie. The supporting cast is fine, too. Heather Sears has the unfortunate role as the pretty young rich girl; she's nice, but bland compared with Signoret. Hermione Badderley, who plays a friend of Signoret's who lends her apartment to Harvey and Signoret, holds the distinction of being the actress with the shortest role ever to be nominated for an Academy Award. She's on screen for two minutes and twenty seconds, and makes them count.

The film suffers a little bit by having an ending telegraphed far in advance and an antihero who's really pretty unlikeable.

This film also holds the distinction of being the only film to defeat Ben-Hur at the Oscars. It took the award for Adapted Screenplay, because, well, its screenplay's better.

Last edited by Syd on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total