Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Agree with yam about the best scene in Much Ado, rivaled only by the similar scene where Beatrice's friends set her up. Also agree that Dogberry can be a major drag. Those Shakespearean rustics are almost always a stage wait, except in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Michael Keaton was really good in the role, however. (Haven't seen the new one yet.)
yambu
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
....Shakespearean rustics are almost always a stage wait, except in A Midsummer Night's Dream...
Bottom is sublime. They say without him there would never have been a Falstaff.

So what if I'm changed into an ass? So what if a super-horny Diana Rigg is galloping after me? I'll just hang out with my elf pals Peaseblossom, Moth, Cobweb and Mustardseed.

Bloom likes Peter Hall's 1968 production. So do I.

Last edited by yambu on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
[DELETED]

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
WORLD WAR Zzzzzzzzzz.....is awfully boring and just plain awful.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
What do you think drives the current zombie fad in film? In a recession, do they represent the unemployed? or is it a McLuhan-esque meme...the outward expression of our fears about the electronic cocoon? an excuse to blow out a lot of brains in one movie?

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
What do you think drives the current zombie fad in film? In a recession, do they represent the unemployed? or is it a McLuhan-esque meme...the outward expression of our fears about the electronic cocoon? an excuse to blow out a lot of brains in one movie?

I think WWZ would never have happened had it not been for the wild success of The Walking Dead, which is a superbly produced show.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
When George Romero changed zombies into vampires (they aren't cursed by magic anymore, and if they bite you and your "live" you become one), it was a game changer for that particular creature. But it took a while to really come to fruition. Specifically, it took vampires turning into chick lit and people of both sexes wanting a monster with more menace. Enter zombies. And in a minor way, werewolves.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
Warren Zevon really gave werewolves a boost.

Yeah, vampires have been turned into sweethearts, so the dread of the oldtime draculas and the horrors in "Salem's Lot," has been lost. Zombies were hard to take seriously in their shambling-at-2-mph phase....intelligent 8 year olds were wont to observe, "gee, couldn't you just walk away from them?" And they had the muscular coordination of a dying jellyfish so, again, the menace was unpersuasive. Took Danny Boyle to get it right and give real menace.

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
My friends and I went to see a double bill of Cat People and I Walked With a Zombie one Saturday afternoon in 1949 0r 50. Both very good and directed by Jacques Tourneur. The Zombie one wasn't a horror movie, but the zombie was how a real zombie would be. Cat People was also well done and scarier.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Bart,

Don't know if you're only referring to the book, but I really dug the two part miniseries of 'salem's Lot. For all its faults (a way too old teen in the role of the kid; the vampire getting all Nosferatued up), I thought Tobe Hooper provided an intense and strongly atmospheric work.

-Topher
Shane
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Syd wrote:
This is the End: In his directorial debut, Seth Rogen gets his Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back taken care of in one movie.

Wow, a Kevin Smith Legacy(?)

Funny. I can get that vibe from the Tv ad.
I seriously doubt I'll see this unless one of my nieces requests it and I say What the Hey and try it.
Looks kind of semi-amusingly dumb.

Dogma was one of my favorite films of the time....but I always like good acting punching organized religions in the nose! Gives me hope in a new age of enlightenment.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
Joe, I dug the Salem's Lot movie, too. Better than most King adaptations. The book I consider King's finest.

Shane - never been quite sure why organized religion must always be the intellectual whipping boy of an "enlightenment." For every pious twit who wants to ram dogmas down your throat (with a gun, if necessary), there is someone in an organized spiritual group finding more peace in their lives, more compassion, more connection to others, etc.

I just don't like "binary" thinking, e.g religion is all one thing, and it's either good or bad. Seems like a way of thinking that leads to bigotry.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
I agree with Bart about organized religion, but I agree with Shane about Dogma. Not my favorite Kevin Smith movie--that's easily Chasing Amy--but a clever fantasy that I think you have to be raised Catholic to fully appreciate.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
I really liked Dogma a lot when I saw it the first time. I watched it again on TV and didn't like it nearly as much. The constant back and forth between Damon and Affleck got very annoying.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Funny you say that, because while I enjoyed it and can still think of a few funny lines, I've never re-watched it nor felt the need to.

But then, I'm not sure a movie has to have repeat value to be considered good entertainment.

-Topher