Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

yambu
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
A great book on the subject is "Born to Kvetch" by Michael Wex. He maintains Jews have been kvetching at least since their forty years in the desert. ("So, it's manna from heaven, already. You call this a meal?").

My favorite is an extra strong "bullshit":

"Nisht geshtoygn un nisht gefloygn"

It literally means, "He didn't climb up and he didn't fly". It's Jewish jive talk, to protect themselves from the goyim:

"Christ didn't climb up on any cross, and he sure as hell didn't fly up to Heaven."

Old Yiddish is loaded with such sacrilegious expressions.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of when Red Buttons was in town as an emcee for some Jewish foundation gala that I went to. There was an older Jewish radio guy who always did interviews every Sunday afternoon. Mostly in Yiddish. Buttons was a very good emcee and very funny. He told about his interview with Jewish interviewer (whose name escapes me), on Sunday. He got a kick out of the old time Yiddish guy. They spoke mostly Yiddish together. Buttons talked about a lot of the actors and actresses he was friends with. When he was telling him about James Cagney, he told him that Cagney often talked Yiddish with him. Then Buttons was asked, "Bist a Yid?" ("He's Jewish?") The audience cracked up. And Buttons burst out laughing during the interview. He had to tell him that Cagney wasn't Jewish and a lot of non-Jews in NYC know Yiddish. The interviewer said "Azoi?" ("Really?")
Shane
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
That's so cool, Mirgun's dad on the stamp.

Can't say I've had any redeeming post-divorce aftermath, but I do like the freedom, the coming and going when one pleases. Yeah, I'd be the guy in No Exit, pounding on the door...

Had to look up "plotz," which I was relieved to discover didn't describe a digestive function.

Got a bud in the building here who is publishing a book in Yiddish soon....I hope it's soon he's been at it for years and he's 89, it had better be soon!!

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
A great book on the subject is "Born to Kvetch" by Michael Wex. He maintains Jews have been kvetching at least since their forty years in the desert. ("So, it's manna from heaven, already. You call this a meal?").

My favorite is an extra strong "bullshit":

"Nisht geshtoygn un nisht gefloygn"

It literally means, "He didn't climb up and he didn't fly". It's Jewish jive talk, to protect themselves from the goyim:

"Christ didn't climb up on any cross, and he sure as hell didn't fly up to Heaven."

Old Yiddish is loaded with such sacrilegious expressions.

Thanks for this...I got Marilyn to translate orally so I can say it to my friends here...they'll understand 'cause they're all older than me!

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
http://www.realclearscience.com/printpage/?url=http://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2013/06/06/soccer_balls_could_deliver_electricity_to_the_poor_106552.html

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant. Not only would an energy-source soccer ball provide cheap electricity, but the exercise required would improve the user's health!
bartist
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
That is brilliant. I like that as much as the kites with dynamos, that catch the higher velocity winds at altitude and send current down the tether. Still wondering when stationary bikes with dynamos will be standard (I guess some health clubs have started trying them, using the customers to help power the lights). My dream can be expressed as a palindrome: "So many dynamos!"

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Hell, even having a nice soccer ball would improve the kids lives. I spent some time in rural Kenya where the kids would tie rags and plastic bags and such into a round form and use that as their football.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Hell, even having a nice soccer ball would improve the kids lives. I spent some time in rural Kenya where the kids would tie rags and plastic bags and such into a round form and use that as their football.
Same thing in Cuba, the kids made baseballs out of anything.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
All this time I've been worried about killer bees, man eating kudzu, grizzly-polar bear hybrids and whatever's coming out of Australia and only now you think to tell me about ... beaver apocalypse?

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-harmless-creatures-that-are-now-terrorizing-humans/

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
Mirgun's photos of Istanbul.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/from_the_barrel_of_a_spray_paint_can_images_from_istanbul
bartist
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Now I'm uncertain if I should be more concerned about a repressive Turkish regime or beavers that can sever your femoral artery if you try to photograph them.

Possibly a metaphorical connection....

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
If the beavers want my phone records and email, they are GOING TO NEED A GODDAMN WARRANT.
bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the logic we're getting from the POTUS escapes me. I mean, if 100% security is what "we" want, then really we should be having warrantless searches house-to-house whenever the homeland guys feel the slightest itch of suspicion. Because safety is more important than constitutional rights, right?

The way Obama has accepted (grudgingly, he says, at first) the Bush legacy on surveillance is disappointing.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
There was a political cartoon on the NY Times website yesterday that made a good point: anytime you use a phone, e-mail, text, etc., someone can keep track of your communication--but write it down and mail it, and it's private. Maybe that's why the Republicans are trying to kill the post office...?