Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
When Earl and I see a movie, we take a trip to the bar first. Sometimes a vodka soda travels with me to the screening room.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
When Earl and I see a movie, we take a trip to the bar first. Sometimes a vodka soda travels with me to the screening room.

What kind of a movie theater has a bar? Sounds like Paris or something.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
The River Oaks. What used to be the upstairs concession stand (when it was a one-screen theater) is now the bar.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
Usually get a meal or snack with film companion, afterwards. I know buying concession food helps keep theaters viable, but I've never cared much for it. When I put a cold beer down the front of my pants, it's "quite frightening," as David St. Hubbins would say.

After-movie food that fits the film theme can be fun - though I can't recommend fried green tomatoes, either the film or the food. And "eating Raoul" is problematic. And "Five Easy Pieces" may encourage undue aggression to wait staff who won't deconstruct your BLT. But see D.O.A. at a revival house and then see if you can get someone to serve you "luminous" drinks.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
In Austin we have several movie theaters with bars: The Alamo, The Paramount, The iPic, The Violet Crown, The Zach and Flix Brewhouse.
gromit
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Just stuff a six pack down your pants ....

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Is that a bottle of beer or are you just happy to see me?

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Is that a bottle of beer or are you just happy to see me?

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
It's not a beer, it's a hard licker. Cool
Marc
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I remember taking a tab of mescaline and going to see 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY. I sat in the fron row and tripped my balls off.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of annoyed that the great reviews for Noah Baumbach's new feature Frances Ha make me desperate to see it despite the presence in the title role of Greta Gerwig, who was so unspeakably and unwatchably irritating in the lead role of last year's Whit Stillman debacle Damsels in Distress that I swore I'd never darken her cinematic doorstep again. But since Gerwig and Baumbach are romantically linked in "real life," I guess Baumbach fans will have to become Gerwiggians as well. Actually, she was terrific in Baumbach's Greenberg with Ben Stiller, so hope springs eternal. But it's difficult to shake the horror, the tweeness, and the torpor of Damsels.
bartist
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
I disagree with the "Gatsby" critics here so strenuously that I nearly herniated myself. The film is beautiful, opulent and gaudy and by far the best adaptation of TGG ever made. Every complaint about the film seems to me to be why it so perfectly captures the spirit of the novel - as one critic who liked it said, it's a film that Jay Gatsby could have made. And DiCaprio (who I've seen as rather overhyped in the past) is perfect in the titular role - a charming manchild starting to show middle-ages fraying at the edges, a man full of the fragile optimism of someone who hasn't learned that you can't always have what you want, and can't simply wash away the stains of dealing with the devil.
And, I have to say, when the Tobes decided to pull out of his Spider-Rut and try something more challenging, he does a pretty good job. Granted, his Nick Carroway VO's are not the high points of the film, but it does bring some of Fitzgerald's wonderful prose into the film and that's not a bad thing.

All you Cineplex Avoiders, PLEASE ignore the critics and give TGG a chance.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
I appreciate your perspective Bart but isn't "It's the kind of movie Jay Gatsby would have made" ultimately a criticism? It reminds me of the description of Gatsby's custom-made car. I don't want the movie equivalent of Gatsby's car, and the novel Fitzgerald wrote isn't one.

The Great Gatsby isn't a book that Jay Gatsby would have written or could have written. Jay Gatsby would have written something childish and unreadable and chintzy and shallow in its attempt to state something profound and moving; he would have never understood why Daisy cried while looking through all those shirts he bought to impress her: he thought he'd done a good thing, a smart thing, she thought something quite different, and Fitzgerald shows us both and asks us to decide for ourselves what our response is. Maybe if the reader was kind one could see the good intentions of Gatsby-the-author underneath, but that's as far a positive response would go. Campy found art rather than a discerning masterpiece.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Well, the comment I was quoting was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and not seriously suggesting that Gatsby would actually make a film worth watching. It was a way of saying that the film captures a state of mind, that it is true to the spirit of the novel. Gatsby wants to take his fantasies, all those things that one can't really have for any price, and make them last forever. The novel, and the film, are both addressing the notion that one can pour endless amounts of money into such an effort, and it doesn't matter where the money came from or where you came from or what stains you have on your soul. Sorry if my use of the quote was unclear in this regard. Because, of course you're right, Gatsby could NEVER tell, let alone conceive, Fitzgerald's story.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen TGG--though I must admit I'm flirting with the idea now that bartist has weighed in. But what I find offensive in the bad reviews is the notion that (as wrongly cast as he may be as Nick Carraway) Tobey Maguire is an untalented actor. Evidence to the contrary may be found as simply as revisiting Wonder Boys, in which Maguire is not just good, but stunningly good. He's also far from chopped liver in The Ice Storm and Pleasantville. Maguire is a big talent. (And he's also wonderful--just wonderful--in Spider-Man.)