Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
If you want to lend me the price of a ticket Marc, fine. But with a trip to the movies costing over twenty dollars these days, I think yeah I'll wait on a movie that actually looks worth seeing. And those are pretty lean on the ground. Otherwise I'll wait for Netflix to make them available cheaply.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
I try to get a sense of whether a film fits my taste or not, as I've been trying to cut down on how many duds/annoying new films I see per year.

For 2012, I think the only film that really annoyed me was Cosmopolis. Others I didn't care for: Dark Shadows, Seeking a Friend for End of the World, Lola Versus, Cloud Atlas, The Amazing Spiderman, Take This Waltz.

I don't think I finished Spiderman, and had only picked it for my niece at the request.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
If you want to lend me the price of a ticket Marc, fine. But with a trip to the movies costing over twenty dollars these days, I think yeah I'll wait on a movie that actually looks worth seeing. And those are pretty lean on the ground. Otherwise I'll wait for Netflix to make them available cheaply.

Have to come down on Joe's side of this argument. I would love to see more movies in theaters, but the price has become ridiculous, and therefore I limit myself to just the movies I "can't wait" to see. Currently they comprise At Any Price, The Iceman, and Stories We Tell (Sarah Polley's autobiographical documentary). My wife may drag me to Kon-Tiki, which I have next to no interest in seeing.

Granted, if it hadn't been shown at the SAG film society, I might not have seen Disconnect, which is (so far) my favorite of 2013, but these occasions are rare. Usually I can size up what I want to see. Sometimes it works out (The Place Beyond the Pines). Sometimes it doesn't (Mud). But with The Great Gatsby it's a no-brainer, which means a no-go.

I will certainly fast-forward it anon on my HDTV for a glimpse of the sets and costumes, however.
bartist
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My wife may drag me to Kon-Tiki, which I have next to no interest in seeing.

I've heard it has a very funny Matthew McConaughey cameo.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm on a roll as a contrarian...........I'm looking forward to seeing To The Wonder on Friday.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I tend to agree with Marc. At the same time, I think it's smart to think about what movies to see in a theater, and which can be experienced as a rental, stream or perhaps own. This was the first film I had seen in a theater in quite a while, but I knew if it any chance at all, at least for me, that's where I needed to see it.

The man I saw it with, wasn't enthusiastic going in. But he was very happy, afterward. There goes your chick flick theory, Gary.

Betsy - See Sam Waterston as Carraway in the 1974 Gatsby, and get back to me.

This was not a great movie, by any stretch. Very few adult movies that open after the award season are. But neither was the book. I went to see it for the experience. I wanted to see what Baz Luhrmann would do with it, and while I do question some of the casting, as well as a somewhat weak script, I enjoyed it, and am very glad I saw it.
marantzo
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
It's a chick-flick. Read the article in Rolling Stone about the weekend box office and see what it says about Gatsby, and that's before I wrote about it seeming to be a chick-flick.
Marc
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Billy, if people don't spend the bucks to go to the movies how's that going to effect your career? Huh?
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy, if people don't spend the bucks to go to the movies how's that going to effect your career? Huh?

I am totally into the idea of going out to the movies, and I would do it a lot more if it weren't so pricey. Those that can afford it? More power to 'em.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Billy.

My order of expenses goes: 1) food, gas and rent 2) books 3) movies/music 4) clothes (as you might guess from this list, I don't wear trendy fashions).

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
I usually go to Tuesday matinees which are $6 or $7 dollars or the Sat/Sun matinees at theatre downtown which is also not expensive. Mind you, even a small popcorn (though not very small) and a small drink, add up to about the price of a steak dinner.
gromit
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Soda and popcorn = junk
Toss a bottle of water into your pocket (refillable at the water fountain). Bring a snack if you need to munch on something.
Anything from home/the grocery store will be cheaper than the concession crap.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
How big are your pockets that a bottle of water will fit in them?

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Easy if you have a jacket, coat or backpack, or bag of any sort.

But I remember in my younger days sticking a cold beer in my coat pocket or down the front of my pants. Watching a film with a beer is nice.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I very rarely go to the concession stand. Maybe once in the last five years. The Warren Theatre has a restaurant that I eat at sometimes when I'm there.