Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

knox
Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
NXNW reference - yes! The fake guy named Thornhill. And his limo (which proves to be empty) is attacked by a tiny drone that looks like the cropduster that swoops at Cary Grant.

The writers for this series obviously love Hitchcock.
bartist
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Great closer for Person of Interest, last night. I loved the scene with the enormous empty hangar at Hanford - the maguffin had just left the building. Won't say more, as everything would be spoilerish.

Was Carrobin talking about having knee surgery this Spring? Hope she is doing okay.

Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Just because I had a knee replacement last week (April 29) doesn't mean I haven't been following along--it's just hard to type on a Nook, so I haven't been commenting. And since I didn't see anything on TV last week--the TV and telephone in the hospital room were on the same bill, so I decided to do without both--there wasn't much to comment on anyway. Missing last week's "Person of Interest" is the only thing I regret about that. But from the comments here, I had some indication of what was going on when I watched last night's episode. And has the machine switched sides, and allied with Root? Final cliffhangers are annoying, but at least with P of I, I know I won't lose interest during the hiatus.

The knee replacement thing wasn't as painful as I had feared--Mount Sinai knows how to deal with that--but it's slow and frustrating, and the exercises that the physical therapist puts me through do hurt even though I've got some heavy meds to help. I don't follow up with the exercises as well as I should, but I'm trying to do better because I really want to get back to normal ASAP. I'm already off the walker and using a cane, but it's going to be a while before I can cope with the subway steps.
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Carry on, carroblin. I didn't know you were in the hospital. I hope you will have a complete recovery in a short time rather than a long time.
carrobin
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Marantz--I have the motivation, so I hope that's half the battle.
bartist
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear from you, and that your are on the mend, Carro. "Thornhill" (aka the Machine) seems to be ambivalent about Root, to say the least. If you can find last week's episode, it may help with figuring out the Machine's motivations, how Nathan and Finch felt about it, etc. I loved the wedding drive-by, "congratulations!" this week. Ditto the Special Counsel's final words, "That's fair." Every character is so sharply, often wittily, defined on this show, though I don't think the writers have quite figured out how to write for Shaw - and I'm not sure why Reese needs another sexy counterpart when there is already Zoe Morgan (sigh). I hope the show doesn't wander into the "Lost" bog, i.e. where too many characters and subplots are spinning at once.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, Reese seems to have an unending supply of beautiful warrior women to back him up when necessary. They're all starting to blend together somehow (except Carter, of course, in a class of her own).

Does anyone else watch "New Tricks," the British cop drama that runs on PBS? Its gimmick is that the team is made up of three retired police detectives and headed by an authoritative blonde, Sandra, who look into cold cases, and it's generally a mild but interesting hour on Friday nights. It's had some good guest stars occasionally--Frances de la Tour, Anthony Stewart Head, etc. (who all bear out my Guest Stars In Mysteries theory, that if you recognize the actor, that character will turn out to be the perp). Last night there were just two of the guys examining a mysterious death in Glasgow, and the scenery was beautiful--I've been to Edinburgh several times but now I want to see Glasgow in the sunshine.
bartist
Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...(who all bear out my Guest Stars In Mysteries theory, that if you recognize the actor, that character will turn out to be the perp)....

Hey, that's my theory! Seriously, I think that GSiM theory has become a "meme" among modern tv viewers. It seems pretty sound, from what I've observed - either the familiar face is the perp, or the parent of the perp who is protecting their child who is the actual perp. Or the spouse of perp, who is...etc.

After rejecting Hannibal, the new NBC series, I noticed Gillian Anderson was guesting last week, so I went ahead and watched....she was NOT the perp, but Hannibal's shrink. The show, as a whole, was crap, lots of style and fake profundity and arty dream sequences.

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Looks like Jack Bauer will finally get to use the restroom. (new 24 format, which Kiefer has signed on for, will do the 24 hours in 12 episodes, which will mean time gaps...)
Marj
Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Carol - Are you out of the hospital, or still in suffering though PT?
lshap
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
knox wrote:
Looks like Jack Bauer will finally get to use the restroom. (new 24 format, which Kiefer has signed on for, will do the 24 hours in 12 episodes, which will mean time gaps...)

What WHAT WHAT???!!!

This is NEWS with a capitol N, E, W and S. I hadn't heard anything about this!

Must check details...

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
But, please, no showering scenes.

I had heard rumors of a new 24, with the gappy 12 ep. structure.

Finally caught another "Grimm" which seemed to include Night of the Living Oregonians and a digression away from German fairy tales and towards voudon. The "woge, woge, woge" scene was played for laughs and I liked the high anxiety attack of the rabbit-man - but it was false suspense - given everything Juliette has been through, did anyone think she would be all that phased by a woge? Also, mixing Baron Samedi with a Triffid was an unusual approach.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Carol - Are you out of the hospital, or still in suffering though PT?

I'm at home now--spent only five days at Mt S, then came home with meds and a schedule of visiting nurses, therapists, and a home health aide (who i didn't really need, but she was good company). That was on May 3, and now i'm down to three days a week with the therapist. He thinks i may be able to return to work by the end of the month, if i do the exercises consistently.
Syd
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Body of Proof's cancelled. It was never a great show, wanted so much to be Bones, and I figured it was in trouble when they got rid of three regulars. I do hope Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan will resurface.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Vegas is canceled, stupid move. Golden Boy was canceled, not as stupid as the Vegas cancellation but stupid anyway. And to top it off they are still going to show that piece of crap, Criminal Minds and Blue Bloods. What kind of sick audience watches Criminal Minds?