Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marj
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
https://www.facebook.com/NewRochelleHighSchool

Gary, thanks. I hope this works.
knox
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Democracy just got mugged by a group of gutless Senators who are clearly more afraid of the gun lobby than of any potential tyranny that needs to be fended off with assault rifles. What a sad week this is.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Corrupt, cowardly, and ignorant. They make me wish I were Canadian.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Our current PM would fit in very well with your GOP creeps, as would most of his parties MP's.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/NewRochelleHighSchool

Gary, thanks. I hope this works.

Thanks, but I tried all the tricks I could on NewRochelleHigh site but couldn't get your essay, or was it the site that you produced for the 50th birthday of your school? That I saw. I'll go back and click 'Like' if I am allowed.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Nope. I clicked 'like' and I had to sign up. I won't sign up.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Obama at the memorial service in Boston outdid himself. One of the great American speeches--right up there with Gettysburg. You heard it here first. You will hear it again.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
The first comment yes. The second comment no.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Well, there were 54 votes in favor of mild gun control.
So that's a start.

In Boston, they've identified the marathon bombing suspects.
Two Chechen brothers, 26 & 19, both apparently with green cards and have been in the US for perhaps a decade. Older brother is dead, younger one still on the run.
They robbed a 7-11, shot a policeman, hijacked a car and threw bombs at police.
Chaos in Watertown.
Boston locked down.
Some pretty serious police presence including armored vehicles.

Amazing that these guys didn't have any kind of getaway plan. Not surprising that they were captured on surveillance video. The older brother wore a baseball cap and sunglasses somewhat disguising himself. The younger brother wore a white baseball cap turned around backwards leaving his face/appearance exposed.

Not that the bombing itself was terribly sophisticated, but the post-planning seems extremely piss poor. Hard to be any more conspicuous than robbing a convenience store, hijacking a car, and throwing bombs/grenades at police.
Reportedly they told the carjacked driver that they were the marathon bombers -- though throwing explosives at police is a pretty good tip off as well.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
Clearly these guys not the sharpest tools in the shed. Sounds like they shut down most of E. Mass. A couple months ago, maybe it was here, there was a brief discussion of how movie fugitives often don't take obvious options, e.g. putting on comfortable walking shoes and simply leaving a metro on foot. Foolishly holing up somewhere nearby where it's easy to be trapped. Etc. Well, sometimes the movies get it right, I guess.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that it wasn't American nut-jobs that did it. Chechens following their religion of peace seems about right. I hope the living brother is captured alive and gives up any partners in terrorism if the two brothers weren't alone in these cowardly, disgusting murders.

Does Mass. have capital punishment?
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
You'd think you'd try to disguise yourself when depositing the bombs at the marathon. Maybe have a beard you can shave off. I know you don't want to look suspicious while leaving the bombs, but it's not surprising they were caught on surveillance camera.

Walking out of town seems way too exposed to me, but why not simply drive out of town before they knew who they were looking for. Hell they could have had a late night flight that evening out of say JFK to Pakistan or Russia. Probably easier to hide out in Chechnya. Or drive or fly to a big city where they could blend in. Just have some friends/relatives/accomplices in another city.

These guys weren't too hard to find.
Hell now they are saying that they used the bank cards form the carjacked driver and took out $800. I mean, c'mon, they couldn't scrounge together a few thousand dollars prior to acting so that they didn't have to rob 7-11's and carjack a guy and hit up his bank account? Bizarre.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
I understand your take (uh, minus the Muslim smear), but really all this will do is increase prejudices and xenophobia. I remember after 9/11 some "real Americans" went around and beat up some Sikhs, mistakenly believing they were Muslims due to their turbans.
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the blowback against rightwing nuts, if they had been the perps. Neither option would have been surprising, but the pressure cooker bombs seemed to lean towards Central Asia.

Anyway, the good thing is that it seems this was a pretty small operation from two individuals (or perhaps at most a few more), as it appeared from the bombs themselves.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Chechens?? Well, nobody called that.

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
I think they just had no inkling that they would be identified. They thought of themselves as lost in the crowd, impossible to trace. And for the first 12 hours or so, it did seem that tracking them down was going to be extremely difficult. It amazes me that they were identified so quickly.