Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
"Red Widow," at least the pilot, seems rather watchable. Goran Visnjic is an elegant villain, and Radha Mitchell is the widow who doesn't want to get sucked into her family's Russian mob dealings. Possible Rule o' Two with the quickly defunct "Mob Doctor," but possibly better.

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
So did anyone else watch "Mad Men" last night? Great show, wonderful to see everyone again. But the last fifteen minutes confused me. No surprise that Don is fooling around, but the timing seemed bizarre, unless it was supposed to be a flashback. (Wasn't she still in the apartment with Megan?)
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
So did anyone else watch "Mad Men" last night? Great show, wonderful to see everyone again. But the last fifteen minutes confused me. No surprise that Don is fooling around, but the timing seemed bizarre, unless it was supposed to be a flashback. (Wasn't she still in the apartment with Megan?)

There were quite a few confusing things about the episode, all of them fully deliberate, I'm sure. The entire experience was disorienting, disturbing, and brilliant.

And Peggy's phone conversation with the pastor was one of the funniest scenes in Mad Men history. Elisabeth Moss pretty much stole the episode for me, with that scene and the later one in which she tore some underlings a few new assholes. Hilarious and scary.
Marj
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know it was on! In my defense, as you can see by my varsity letter avatar, we are celebrating a milestone reunion at my high school.

Love it you could stop by: New Rochelle High School's page and give us a shout out by "Liking" us.

We are at: https://www.facebook.com/NewRochelleHighSchool

Thanks. Will be back soon.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, folks, if I seem like a broken record on this one, but The Americans is every bit the equal of Homeland, or Mad Men, or any other show on television except Breaking Bad. It is a masterful, chilling, and merciless drama that would never have been produced were it not for the success of Homeland, but manages to be different from yet just as good as the earlier show. The acting by Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, Richard Thomas, and particularly the ineffable Noah Emmerich is superb.
bartist
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Grace posted this at another website. Thought Big Bang Theory fans might appreciate it....it's from a teeshirt -

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice T-shirt. (Somehow I've always been relieved that Schrodinger didn't use a dog for his example.)

Last night I watched "Archer" for only the second time (having read that Jon Hamm was doing a voice), but I should check it out more often. It's witty and silly, and I like Jessica Walters' cigarette-waving crone as well as Chris Parnell (I haven't quite figured out which hapless character he voices, but I'm glad he has another job now that "30 Rock" has closed down).
Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
The Americans is terrific. Sadly, it may be doomed to bad ratings.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
The Americans is terrific. Sadly, it may be doomed to bad ratings.

Doesn't look that way.

http://tinyurl.com/abytkh3
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
You are going to be hearing a lot of high-minded nonsense calling Jane Campion's Sundance series Top of the Lake a masterpiece. Bullshit. It's arty to the max. A police procedural that tries desperately to rise above the genre, it traps Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter in its pretentious net. Only Peter Mullan escapes with a neat performance. Skip this one no matter what you hear. It sucks your time. Oh, and it just plain sucks, too.

Boy, was I ever wrong about Top of the Lake. My wife's love for this series forced me to watch some more episodes to reevaluate. I was really off base. The show, while (in my defense) it does take some getting used to, delivers an emotional and dramatic punch if you stick with it. I'm up to date now, and ready for tonight's finale. Salivating, in fact. Scratch everything I said in the above-quoted post. I was...just...wrong.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Last night I looked in on "Revenge," though I've been losing interest this season, and there was a dramatic fight scene on a boat--with pop-up notes at the bottom of the screen giving little bits of information about how the scene was shot and the music background. Fortunately I wasn't emotionally involved in the plot anyway, but really--what's going on here? Have the Revenge folks totally given up on holding the audience? That effort to combine the characters with a commercial last season was bad enough (and of course just about every show now has dancing promos on a corner of the screen to distract the viewer), but MTV-type elements that totally destroy the drama? I just don't understand that kind of thinking. (Or have they hired someone's teenage nephew as a consultant?)
marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as this is the TV forum, has anyone watched the Masters Golf match? Or even the last day of the tournament? Unless you are not any kind of a golf fan and you didn't watch at least, the last day, you missed an edge-of-the-seat match. The two golfers who who had to go extra holes were both guys I like so it didn't bother me who won. The cherry on top was that the obnoxious Tiger Woods didn't win and even if he didn't get a 2 stoke penalty two days earlier he still wouldn't have won. He lost by 4 strokes.

When the Masters was won on the second extra hole both the golfers walked off the green arm in arm. Not something that Woods ever did or ever would do.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
You are going to be hearing a lot of high-minded nonsense calling Jane Campion's Sundance series Top of the Lake a masterpiece. Bullshit. It's arty to the max. A police procedural that tries desperately to rise above the genre, it traps Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter in its pretentious net. Only Peter Mullan escapes with a neat performance. Skip this one no matter what you hear. It sucks your time. Oh, and it just plain sucks, too.

Boy, was I ever wrong about Top of the Lake. My wife's love for this series forced me to watch some more episodes to reevaluate. I was really off base. The show, while (in my defense) it does take some getting used to, delivers an emotional and dramatic punch if you stick with it. I'm up to date now, and ready for tonight's finale. Salivating, in fact. Scratch everything I said in the above-quoted post. I was...just...wrong.

Top of the Lake's finale makes it one of the most infuriating television shows ever. The ending was a mystery wrapped in an enigma--and not in a really good way. On balance, it's a series very much worth watching, but critically I have whiplash.
knox
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Gromit, enjoy your postings on the Twilight Zone. Have recently watched some of the 5th season - The Masks (with the dying rich guy and the Mardi Gras theme) blew me away. Black Leather Jackets is amusing (the undesirable new neighbors, aliens posing as a biker gang). Also Ring-a-Ding Girl. Seems like by the last season they were heavily revisiting earlier ideas, but still managed to put a fresh twist on them. Possibly the weirdest is "Spur of the Moment," where a young woman is somehow haunted by a spectre of her future messed-up self...all about how you can't change the past...or recognize your future.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
So I guess no one watched the Masters tournament. Razz