Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marj
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:

Quote:
Marj, you hittin' the hooch today?

I wish! Nope. Occasionally I see posts with a word underlined in green. I saw it in the preview of the last one on this page, but now it's gone.

Oh, well. As Mel said ... Carry on.
djmnyc
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Marj;

The way I learned it was that the man walked closer to the building in the not infrequent event that a bedpan was dumped from above.
Marj
Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:34 pm Reply with quote
DJ - That's hysterical!!!

Laughing
jeremy
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Oops, Sorry Marilyn, my comment about the avatar not being as grizzled and world weary as I imagined was meant to be directed at Marantz.

I have no idea who your avatar is, but I've always imagined you as a striking Jewess with strong, intelligent features softened by your thick, luxurious black locks. A glistening thoroughbred mare with a flowing mane or lashings of chocolate sauce on ice cream sundae. A bit like Nigella Lawson or Councillor Troy.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:38 am Reply with quote
We can make this the coolest movie website on earth, but first we have to dispense with the psychodrama. There has been some tension in recent days among some of us posting here. I see it as part of a purging process...hopefully we will get beyond the neurotic bullshit and make this a wonderful oasis for film freaks.

I have tried to be a voice of reason since this site got up and running. As most of you know, being a voice of moderation has never been my strong point. In fact, I hate being reasonable. I prefer being unpredictable, provocative and downright scary. But, because I believe we can collectively create a marvelous place for cinephiles to gather, I am willing to temper some of my more abrasive qualities. Of course, once this place has found its footing, I will revert to my old bad habits. I want to ask all of you to bury past feuds, forget old grudges, lets move forward and set a new tone.
This place could become much bigger than all of us. Lets not let some petty squabbles keep us from creating something very cool together. The most amazing thing about this community is that despite the bullshit we're all still here. Now lets drop the crap and talk about the movies.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'd heard that is was a bucket of filth that was thrown out, and that might have meant garbage or human refuse or both. It makes sense, as there were neither toilets nor disposals at the time.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:09 am Reply with quote
Marc,

Though I agree with your vision of this place, if there's one thing I've learned it's that old wounds don't heal. Look at me and Mr. B. Even though we get along, and can even enjoy each other's posts, one word on the subject of the old debates and we're going at it again, until someone points out how ridiculous we were acting (I think it was Marilyn), and we both let it drop, both of us assuredly still convinced that each of us was right and the other was wrong.

Since things have quieted down in the past few days, the best thing is to forget about the issue.

As far as I can tell, unlike Real Life, debates on the Internet are never resolved, only abandoned.
Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:19 am Reply with quote
and....

we've had some new folks join our society. Some of whom have not been part of the NY Times experience. I think we should make them feel welcome and comfortable. I don't want people showing up here only to be greeted by a bunch of old turds squabbling over ancient feuds.
As a community of folks who've known each for awhile maybe its time to do something bold: pull our heads out of our own assholes and greet the world with a fresh approach. Let's focus on the things we came here to discuss: MOVIES, GOOD TELEVISION, MUSIC, BOOKS...in discussing the things we love, we'll discover the best part of ourselves. I am not interested in the petty differences between us. I am interested in the energy that drew us together and the energy that created this new website. What tears us apart is common, ordinary, the status quo, its the way of the world. Thats why the planet is going to hell in a hand basket. But, what brings us together is revolutionary and creative: our desire to recognize the common ground we all share. We came together because we love cinema, art. Lets dump the bullshit and get on with the good stuff. Lets agree to enjoy each others company. And if that doesn't work for some of us, lets be gracious enough to fake it. I am not suggesting being dishonest. If someone is an asshole, call him/her on it. But, don't feed it more energy than its worth. Don't feed the bullshit.

I am so hesitant to post this. All it takes is the click of a button. Is this too corny? Am I a pathetic hippie? A hypocrite? Or worse, some kind cosmic comedian who doesn't realize that the joke is on me? OH, WHAT THE FUCK...CLICK
Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:25 am Reply with quote
"I've learned it's that old wounds don't heal."

Joe, try vitamin E.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:47 am Reply with quote
Are the newcomers feeling uncomfortable? I don't notice it. Again, the argument has passed but you're bringing it up again. If you think that's going to lead to a resolution, you're wrong. It will lead to the discussion being brought up again, and all the arguments trotted out. Let it go.
lshap
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:08 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Joe -- I wouldn't characterize the debate between you and Tim as some old wound. It's a sticking point and, for you especially, a really frustrating one. But you've managed to acquit yourselves well, without hysterics or threats.

Marc's talking about all the personal issues that've been so freely dumped onto this site. Some people have found it too easy to spill their half-chewed food on the rest of us and not bother to clean up after themselves.

This enviroment can only be made so safe and clean. Shit's gonna' happen. We can either let it sit there stinking up the joint or flush it away.
pedersencr
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:27 am Reply with quote
Marc,
I definitely like your forward-looking and hopeful approach, even if others might regard it as sounding too utopian. So here's a second for it.
Charles
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Marc, for that excellent double post. Everyone should heed it (including yourself, dude).
Shane
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
As this place has triple or more the pages of posts then all others, I would have to say those observers who've pointed out the falicy of "forgetting" or "withdrawl" are probably on the Marc. I for one tried to end conflict with both of you who chose to attack me and neither has offered to bury the hatchet, except in my cyber-head, instead chosing to play grammerian or at best correct the spelling in my posts. It's apparent there is much more to be worked out here and until it is this will be the likly place we'll find the confrontations, that said I suggest rather we leave it at that and continue to post in the other venues with a modicum of decorum and respect leaving the bloodletting to be found only where it seems to be considered appropiate...here.
Trish
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
you can't take a few days off in this place - 20 million pages to get through

Marc or Ishap,

I sent $ to contribute to this website - but I never got an email back from Alex confirming he got the $ (sent thru paypal - whose site said it went through - i just wanted a sort of courtesy email back - I sent him a follow up email asking him to send me a message back - but no response). Any suggestions?