Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Marj
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
What and where is Underdog? I've never heard of it. And if you could answer my question by quoting me and moving it back to the couch, I think Billy would like it.
gromit
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
What and where is Underdog? I've never heard of it.
Do a google image search for Underdog.
Underdog was even a Macy's parade balloon for a number of years. People were upset when they retired him.
Underdog mostly spoke in rhymed couplets, saving the day while wreaking a fair amount of collateral damage.
It has a goofy naive charm.

Too bad it looks like I get lots of Go Go Gophers but no Tennessee Tuxedo. I like TT. He was part of the original show's mix. I'm having trouble remembering Klondike Kat who shows up for the S3 episodes.
Somehow this "Complete Collectors Edition" I have seems to have just 62 of the 124 episodes made. That seems to be all that was syndicated and I'm not sure if the rest survives ...

W. Watts Biggers, the creator of Underdog, just died last month. And to further disorient things, here's a trivia question ... in Couch(!): What is the connection between Caspar the Friendly Ghost, Davey and Goliath, Gumby and Underdog?

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

"Why do there be bugs?"

This manages to be both extremely cute and extremely funny at the same time. One of my favorite kid quotes ever. Thanks!
marantzo
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
You're welcome, Billy. When Ronne (my ex) told me what the kid said (I wish I could remember his name), I cracked up. I think he was only 3 or 4 at the time.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
Back to the couch. When I got up this morning I turned on TCM and Ben Hur was on. It was near the beginning and instead of hating it like I do, I broke out laughing. Mostly laughing at Heston's acting, and he got an Oscar for the role. I haven't seen all the Oscar winning movies, but I don't think any of them could be a worse Oscar winner than BH and its 10 Oscars. Among its many stupid scenes I used to say that the battle at sea looked like it was shot in a pool. Many many years later when I was reading a book about movies, they had some kind of problem with shooting it on a large body of water and actually did shoot it in pool. Laughing

It shouldn't be called a drama, it should be listed as a comedy. Not a good comedy but laughable.
gromit
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
I guess they were showing religious movies for Easter.
I was flipping the dials and ABC was showing the 10 Commandments. I watched just 1 minute.

The trivia question involves Canada ...

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ben-Hur is certainly one of the worst Best Pictures, but IMO it's better than Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, The Greatest Show on Earth, and The English Patient.

Other contenders are Around the World in 80 Days, Out of Africa, and Forrest Gump.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Ben-Hur is certainly one of the worst Best Pictures, but IMO it's better than Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, The Greatest Show on Earth, and The English Patient.

Other contenders are Around the World in 80 Days, Out of Africa, and Forrest Gump.
So I like Ben Hur better than most people here, eh? I am a bit of a sucker for cheesey epics - I prefer them to serious epics. I have it about in the middle rank of the 70 some odd I have seen. Not that the Oscar should not have gone to the unnominated Some Like it Hot, mind you.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

So I like Ben Hur better than most people here, eh? I am a bit of a sucker for cheesey epics - I prefer them to serious epics. I have it about in the middle rank of the 70 some odd I have seen. Not that the Oscar should not have gone to the unnominated Some Like it Hot, mind you.

SLIH was the best movie of that year, but Room at the Top (nominated) was a close second. That Ben-Hur not only won but won that many awards was simply ridiculous. The offense was magnified the following year when the vastly superior Spartacus (my favorite-ever "epic") was not even nominated.
yambu
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I guess they were showing religious movies for Easter.
I was flipping the dials and ABC was showing the 10 Commandments. I watched just 1 minute....
Try The Greatest Story Ever Told ('65). Here's a partial cast list:

Max Van Sydow as JC, Charlton Heston as J the B, Pat Boone, Jose Ferrer, Angela Landsbury, Sal Mineo, Telly Savalas, John Wayne, Shelley Winters, Sidney Poitier, Claude Raines, Robert Blake.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
1959 also produced Anatomy of a Murder, another movie much better than B-H.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
I am a bit of a sucker for cheesey epics - I prefer them to serious epics.

I agree in general. I guess on balance I'd rather sit through Ben-Hur again than through Lawrence of Arabia or The Last Emperor or Gandhi. (Three more of my least favorite, most overrated "Best Picture" winners.)

What I love about Spartacus is that it manages to be both entertaining and serious at the same time. Well, just serious enough. And with stunning cinematography.
gromit
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ben Hur has a fair amount of clunkiness, but I like it.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
TCM is doing saint movies one night in May: The Big Fisherman (St. Peter), Francis of Assisi, Joan of Arc (the 1948 one with Ingrid Bergman) and A Man for All Seasons. I'm surprised they're not showing The Song of Bernadette, which is one of my favorites.

Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Tomorrow is Lon Chaney day followed by baseball movies. At 5:00 a.m. Tuesday, they're showing White Shadows in the South Seas, which won the second Oscar for Cinematography. I want to compare it with Tabu: A Tale of the South Seas, which won the fourth cinematography Oscar and was also shot in the Society Islands. Robert Flaherty worked on both films.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
A dispute over this film with Hunt Stromberg led David Selznick to quit Metro Goldwyn Mayer. "David thought it an idyllic story; Hunt said he wanted lots of tits.
The National Geographic exception applies.