Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else get the feeling that NBC is under a curse? (Is Ann Curry a witch?)
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that NBC is under a curse? (Is Ann Curry a witch?)

But then there's Jimmy Fallon bringing the Tonight show back to New York, and Leno finally--finally!!!--taking a powder. This is all good.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but think of all the angst that's gone into those late-night wars (and Leno, drag though he is, apparently still rules ratingswise--just not in the desired demographic--which seems to indicate some bad mojo). Maybe Conan O'Brien is the witch.
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of NBC, recently caught the SNL from a while back with the Paula Broadwell skits and Jeremy Renner guesting. Great stuff, including a "Reservoir Dogs standoff" bit with Renner et al.

Regarding Messing's possible new gig - I hope "single-camera comedy" also means no laugh track. I believe that is usually the case. My daughter seems to believe firmly in the SCC/NLT as the only acceptable format - IIRC, her favorites have been AD, The Office:OS, and Parks & Rec.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
The Peabody awards have been announced--alert to Marj: "The Loving Story" is one winner. I'm chuffed to find that Doctor Who is on the list as well.

http://peabodyawards.com/2013/03/72nd-annual-peabody-awards-complete-list-of-winners/
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Carol. I found out yesterday. As you can imagine I'm bursting at the seams.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
So Dick Cavett would like Stephen Colbert to succeed Dave Letterman.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/tonight-tonight-its-world-is-full-of-blight/?ref=opinion

bartist
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If my friend Dave Letterman should decide next contract time that he’s sat through one too many starlet guests who come on to plug their movies, exhibit seemingly a yard of bare gam, pepper their speech with “likes” and “I’m like” and “awesome” and “oh, wow” and “amazing,” and list at least seven things they are “excited” about despite the evidence, from who knows what cause, of their half-mast eyelids, I’ll regret his going.

Heh, heh.

I'm not big on talk shows, but I do prefer Letter Man to Leno. And would probably like Colbert even more. Interesting bit about Johnny's early wobble on takeoff. The only talk tv I ever watched regularly was Cavett. The histrionic moments with guests like Mailer and Dali were classics. He and I attended the same high school, btw. (Cavett, that is)

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Cavett was in a class of his own--remember the John & Yoko show? My mother and I went to a Merv Griffin taping once--they were handing out free tickets on the street, and we had the time to spare. It was a good show but nothing special. My mother and I also went to the taping of a Letterman show when he was still on during the day--that was fun, though the main thing I remember was that Johnny Paycheck (?) sang "Take This Job and Shove It" twice to get it right for the airing.

I like Letterman, but I do love Colbert (he's a good South Carolina boy, too). I just wonder if he'd be too intense for CBS late night.
Melody
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Interesting rumblings on the talk show circuit, what with Jon Stewart taking the summer off and now rumors about Colbert's possible greener pastures. I'd hate to see them leave Comedy Central - I'd have to resort to Rachel Maddow for my news fix, who is fiercely intelligent but a bit of a wonk (yawn).

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Letterman is still my favorite talk show host. He can always make me laugh. I prefer Stewart to Colbert, who is undeniably terrific but a tad intellectual for my taste. Love Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel. Conan never quite did it for me. Leno puts me to sleep instantly.

Cavett was great but I must admit I've been swayed by the people I know and respect who have worked with him and think he's a Grade A asshole. Which is, to come full circle, the same thing I hear about Letterman, but I still love to watch.

P.S. Bill Maher is the only one of the breed who consistently makes me howl with laughter. But he's not really in the same category. And his movie Religulous was a bore.
Melody
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I watch Letterman and Craig Ferguson to decompress every night. I appreciate both sensibilities -- the former traditionalist, the latter deconstructionist -- and most of all, they make me giggle. "Geoff, is that a sex thing?" "Oh, you know it."

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Billy, I agree with your likes and dislikes except I liked Religulous.
Marj
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally with Billy and Melly. I have nothing else to add. They've said it all. I have to go to sending Flash Mobs to my cousin. This how we entertain ourselves while my sister win's Peabody Awards.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Congratulaions to your sister, Marj!!!