Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Marj
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
Marj wrote:
Lorne,

You really don't want to know ...?

I can see you smiling from here!

Evil temptress...

Indeed.
Syd
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Since I don't have HBO, I'm only now catching up with A Game of Thrones, and I'm enjoying it a lot after two episodes. Fortunately, I've got the books so I know who everyone is, although they don't always look the way I expect. Love Peter Dinklage's Tyrion, Emilia Clarke's Daenerys (damn, she's gorgeous) and Kit Harington's Jon Snow, and it looks like Rory McCann's going to be a good Sandor Clegane. Watching Jack Gleeson's Joffrey is creepy; I almost have to fast forward when he appears. Fortunately, he won't last too long.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
Words cannot express how much I love Enlightened and Laura Dern's performance in it. She and Mike White have created a unique show, one in which the leading character is totally flawed and totally admirable at the very same time, and Dern's acting goes beyond brilliant into astonishing. She is backed up by a superb supporting cast, from Mike White himself to Diane Ladd, Luke Wilson, and such guest stars as Dermot Mulroney and Molly Shannon. The show is beyond great.

Word of warning: whatever you do, do not try to hop into this show in the middle. Watch it from the very beginning and don't skip a single episode. Enlightened will turn you into a binge-viewer.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
I'm going to risk the $30 and buy season one.

Most quality tv series, in these times, require the "start at the beginning" commitment. Writers assume people are up to speed....which is actually a good thing, as it means you don't have to waste precious minutes of your 60-minute (or 47 minute) slot establishing the backstories and such.

Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Bart--Don't expect to love the leading character. That's what's prevents some people from fully getting into the show. Their reaction is: "Wha????? I wanted to wring Amy's neck! What kind of a show is that?!?!?!"

My answer is: a unique one. Also a great one.
Marc
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Dern's character frustrates the viewer in much the same way she frustrates the other characters in the show. It's a sign of Dern's immense talent that she can get away with it. There are times when she is genuinely unbearable, a female Rupert Pupkin. Exasperating, but ultimately you end up rooting for her.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
...a female Rupert Pupkin.

Perfect, Marc.
Syd
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
I finally got to watch the last two episodes of the first season of Game of Thrones with Sibel Kekilli finally showing up as Shea, and Emilia Clarke in Daenerys' big scene. Now I have to decide whether to wait for Netflix or buy season 2.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I finally got to watch the last two episodes of the first season of Game of Thrones with Sibel Kekilli finally showing up as Shea, and Emilia Clarke in Daenerys' big scene. Now I have to decide whether to wait for Netflix or buy season 2.

And now I'm into season 2, when we finally get Stannos (the king candidate with negative charisma) and Melisandre, who seems somewhat miscast, although that may change. Melisandre is scary, and is ruthless, but isn't actually evil. It's just that people think she's going to rip people's hearts out and throw their hearts on the brazier that gives her a reputation.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Wait until you see Melisandre get into the boat with Davos. Then let's talk about evil vs. ruthless. Shocked

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Wait until you see Melisandre get into the boat with Davos. Then let's talk about evil vs. ruthless. Shocked

Well, she did elimate a false claimant and stop a battle that would have killed thousands of people, leaving them to live. At least till the battle of King's Landing.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Still, it is hard to argue that birthing a smoke monster/assassin is a tad beyond ruthless, no matter her intentions.

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
GoT has a smoke monster? As a former "Lost" fan, I may have to look into this. Watched S.1 on dvd a year or so back and hadn't planned to go farther with the series, but this has rekindled interest (and the Emilia Clarke crush may also be returning).

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
She's got a rival in Natalie Dorner, who plays Renly's queen Margaery. Yes, Renly has/had a queen.

And now we have Ygritte, whom I love, but alas... I'm expecting a nude scene momentarily. But alas.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Jerome Flynn, who pays Bronn in Game of Thrones, also plays a detective sergeant in the Whitechapel District of London in Ripper Street. He used to be part of a very popular singing duo in the 1990s.