Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Wade goes back to the New York Times film forum. Quite a shock to lose him so young.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Damn. Just saw this on your page on fb Marj.
So very sorry to hear of Wade's loss.
Way too young. Sad
pedersencr
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Very sorry to hear the bad news. This has been a bad winter for far too many names I have known on forums. Sad
Rest in peace, Wade.
We'll miss ya.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
This is awful. I have no words really. I wasn't in the best place with Ehle, either, by the time he left (well, even before we left the Times, to be honest). But I am incredibly saddened and feel nothing but love for the guy. I'm so sorry.

I wish there was something we could do for Scott. All they've been through together...

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
This is awful. I have no words really. I wasn't in the best place with Ehle, either, by the time he left (well, even before we left the Times, to be honest). But I am incredibly saddened and feel nothing but love for the guy. I'm so sorry.

I wish there was something we could do for Scott. All they've been through together...

Wade had a lot of friends, all of them concerned about Scott. But I find out anything, I'll be sure to let you know.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Marj.

-Topher
Melody
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
I am devastated by this news of Wade's passing. I always wanted to meet him, have a few drinks, trade gossip.

Back in December, taking a car service from La Guardia to midtown, we passed through Astoria, and I said excitedly to my daughter, Oh, hey, a buddy of mine lives here! I told her all I knew of Wade from the NYT forum and then Third Eye. I meant to PM him and see if we could hook up in the few days I was there ...

RIP my friend. Maybe if you play your cards right, Monty will let you borrow his assless chaps.

Love,
Melly-Mel

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much Marj for letting me know on Facebook. I'll be in touch when I can compose myself.

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Wow.

Just got an email from Marty. I met Wade twice in New York. The first time was back in 2004, shortly after this site was launched (the same trip during which I met Billy, Siouxms, Timdog, Carol). I met him at a bar after he finished work, Wade and about four or five female colleagues. He was nice but elusive, hard to pin down amidst the noise and the company. I wanted to get to know this guy I'd been swapping posts with for years; he seemed... distracted.

Second time was a few years later during another New York trip. Met a few Third Eye buddies for brunch before seeing Billy's show. Wade showed up but couldn't stay long and ducked out before the show. Again, a too-quick impression that was frustratingly incomplete and left me wondering if I'd ever get to know the guy.

And now he's gone. Almost impossible to digest.

Lady W was good friends with him. This must be very hard for her.

Nice to see Melody and Charles, even if it's just a one-off condolence.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
I have a sad recollection of Wade. He came to see me in a show in Brooklyn and waited around after the show to talk to me. Outside the theater it was dark and after a show it's always a little unreal. Long story short, I didn't recognize him. (I'd only met him in person once before that.) He got quite irate later and we never patched it up.

Oh, and the first interaction we ever had was also weird. He didn't like Singin' in the Rain. You can take it from there.

But I'm very sad.
Syd
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I heard from Jynx/Pambula. She's been trying to post but can't get on for some reason.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Syd wrote:
I heard from Jynx/Pambula. She's been trying to post but can't get on for some reason.

Yeah, the same email from Marty let me know about Pam's issues with the site. I checked. She's registered and active, so I don't know why she can't get online.

Pam - If you're reading this, your account is registered under an sbcglobal email domain. If you're re-registering using a new email account, some domains are banned due to spam; let me know and I'll temporarily unblock it. If you've forgotten the password I can change it to a temporary one. If you don't have my email address, many people here do - get it from them.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

It's our exclusivity which keeps them coming back ....

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
I hope she isn't getting collateral damage from this DDoS attack thing in Europe. The guy behind it is a real piece of work, an anti-Semitic wackjob. The attack on SpamHaus in the name of "freedom" was completely nuts.

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
What was almost laughable in its bizarreness was the guy's assertion that Spamhaus was practicing "censorship." The people who subscribe to the service are their own censors, and are specifically requesting the blocking of spam-heavy servers. It's a much-needed service and allows more free use of the Net, not less. I don't know if 3rd Eye's admin. uses SpamHaus, but probably uses a similar service.

I remember Ehle from the NYT forums. Passionate about film, acerbic, never dull. I can relate to the anecdotes about difficulties translating a Net friendship into real life and the ways FTF meetings can be disappointing or misfire. (I can't decide if I want everyone to move to NYC or to Austin....but I'll probably have a definite opinion come next January...) I hear the Phallus motel in Austin is quite pleasant.