Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Marc
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
They’ll be plenty of people hatin’ on Spring Breakers. I say ignore them. The movie is pure trash of a very sublime sort (purity is in short supply these days). Imagine a Girls Gone Wild video directed by Gaspar Noe and Godard. Harmony Korine’s critique of reality TV, gangsta shit and pop culture’s commodification of tweenybopper celebs is as scattershot as the gunfire at the movie’s climax, but when it hits its target it draws blood. Beach Blanket Bingo for the comfortably numb.

Out of ten thumbs, I give this 8 thumbs up.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
They’ll be plenty of people hatin’ on Spring Breakers.

Not as many as you suspect. The Metacritic score is high, and Manohla Dargis of the NYTimes gives the movie an almost hysterical rave review. This alone is enough to turn me completely off (I still recall her similar encomia for Synecdoche, New York), but the presence of Harmony Korine as director does the rest of the job. Sorry, Marc, but you're not suckering me into this baby.

Last edited by billyweeds on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Marc
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
Billy, I read all the reviews all the time. I know that shit. I'm not talkin' critics, I'm talkin' audiences.

Take a hit of acid and go see it. You'll love it. James Franco's grill will provide you with hours of pleasure as you try to decode the various messages etched in all that metal.
knox
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Roeper (who seems now to be running the Ebert webpages and doing the reviews) liked "Stoker," but I sense that underneath all of Park's film brilliance is your basic psycho killer bloodfest. Not to say the label I'm applying has to be pejorative, but I am really tired of the theme in American arts. When Marc calls it an "atmopheric bore," I'm ready to believe him.

The Call appeared to be a tv show that costs you $8-10 to watch on a large screen.
Marc
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
"your basic psycho killer bloodfest" is what STOKER is missing.
Syd
Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Croods is a lot of fun, well-animated and actually pretty thoughtful, going into the problems posed by continental drift, curiosity, the discovery of fire, and predators, including sabre-tooth cats, and, of course, deadly flocks of piranha birds. The animators had a lot of fun creating unlikely prehistoric beasts and vegetation, but for me, a lot of the delight came from the animation of the Croods themselves, as in an early scene where the entire family has to cooperate in an effort to secure a huge blue egg while being pursued by predators wanting to get that egg for themselves. Or another scene where Eep is climbing a cliff to get a glimpse of the sun, Or her trying to find the elusive source of a light shining into her cave at night. (Very good voice work by Emma Stone as Eep and Nicholas Cage as her protective father.)

I saw it in 3D since I missed the 2D showing. (There's been a problem with listings lately and the times were wrong.) I had some problems in the early scenes, many of which take place in the cave, but I had no problems after that, and the 3D was often effective and sometimes more than that.

Directed by Chris Sanders, the director of Lilo and Stich, another film that surprised me by how good it was.

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, this guy really doesn't like Derek Cianfrance....

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/the-place-beyond-the-pines/6872

Opens next Friday.

Croods - not your father's Flintstones, I take it. The Nic Cage voicing would tempt me to see this. Lilo and Stich was excellent.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Relayed Deaction Dept.

Befade wrote:
Inla...........Where was Kenneth? Mr. Turan did NOT show up at the film fest. The substitution was a producers discussion featuring the producers of: 30 Rock, Michael Moore movies, Al Franken tv shows, and a doc about women in Liberia. It was interesting...........but.....One of the best events at the fest was the in person Q & A with David Strathairn after a showing of his film No God No Master about unions during the Sacho & Vansetti era. A gripping, well done film. I always like him.
Moi aussi, re: Ms. Straithairn; am highly anticipating NGNM. Have no idea where Uncle Kenneth might have been. Likely he had scheduling-conflict issues, or maybe he was indisposed.

The boyfriend oversaw the Dreamworks executive/creative factions post-launch fête for The Croods over the weekend. Reported much imbibing, gourmet nibbles and scads of self-congratulation over the finished product and projected grosses. The quiches he snagged were delish.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
[/quote] Moi aussi, re: Ms. Straithairn...[/quote]

Ms.? Are you telling us some inside dish about David, or is this just a typo?
inlareviewer
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Typo. Mr. Straithairn. lol

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Typo. Mr. Straithairn. lol

I figured that, but lol anyway.
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
STRAIT-hairn.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Again, am looking forward to this being at an art house/festival/DVD player near me.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Me too, inla. S'cuse me for not quoting.
Befade
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Love the pics, Inla. I'd be happy to be Ms. or Mrs. Straithairn..... All the women thought he was very hot.....and even in his sixties.