Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

bartist
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Started The Long Earth, which so far does seem rather restrained. Some humorous concepts. Wondered about the potato, but I'm guessing that most commercial batteries contain some ferrous material?

The cat dick sounds interesting - there's a popular mystery writer, isn't there, who also has a feline sleuth? I think those stories are about 50 shades less dark than Felidae. Will check it out.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
"Felidae" does sound intriguing. I gave up on "The Ruins" a few years ago when it became not only gruesome but boring. That doesn't sound like a problem with "Felidae."
Syd
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
There are seven of the "Felidae" novels, but I don't know if any but the first two are available in English. Pirinçci's a German writer who was born in Istanbul, Turkey. Felidae was made into an animated film that apparently is only available in Region 2.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
Am currently about 3/4ths through Twelve Patients, Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Eric Manheimer, M.D., and almost halfway through The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. Both amazing reads, but a little intense, to say the least.

I think I'll need a good John D. MacDonald to clear my brain! Laughing
carrobin
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of "The Slap," but there was an interview with the author of "Twelve Patients" awhile ago, I forget which newspaper (or it could have been a magazine). Sounded fascinating. I'm a little queasy about reading hospital/doctor stuff, but I'm tempted.

I just finished "The Devil's Home on Leave," a grim murder mystery with a nameless London police sergeant solving a grisly crime, and it had its charms but I doubt that I'll read another Derek Raymond anytime soon.

Just started Charles Stross's "Singularity Sky." So far it's rather amusing.
mitty
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Twelve Patients is pretty intense, and he is quite descriptive. I like the way he brings in the whys and wherefores of both the patients and the system they are all caught up in.

Here is a review of The Slap from it's Amazon page:
Quote:
From Booklist
Although this is Australian author Tsiolkas’ fourth novel, it is the first to be published in the U.S. With its raw style, liberal use of profanity and racial epithets, and laserlike focus on the travails of suburban life, it is a down-and-dirty version of Tom Perrotta’s best-selling Little Children (2004). At a barbecue in a Melbourne suburb, a man loses his temper and slaps the child of the host’s friends. This incident unleashes a slew of divisive opinions, pitting friends and families against each other as the child’s parents take the man to court. Told from eight different viewpoints, the novel also deftly fills in disparate backstories encompassing young and old, single and married, gay and straight, as well as depicting how multiculturalism is increasingly impacting the traditional Aussie ethos. For good measure, the author also throws in male vanity, infidelity, and homophobia. Tsiolkas’ in-your-face style is sure to alienate some readers—the child’s parents, for example, are among the book’s most unlikable characters—but his novel, which won the 2009 Commonwealth Prize, fairly radiates with vitality as it depicts the messy complications of family life. --Joanne Wilkinson
Syd
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Syd wrote:
carrobin wrote:
I never really got into Terry Pratchett (though I love that novel he did with Neil Gaiman), but I read a year or so ago that he's dealing with Alzheimer's. Must be incredibly tough for such a prolific author--and a warning that even an imaginative, active mind is vulnerable.

It's an odd form of the disease called posterior cortical atrophy or Benson's Syndrome. It doesn't affect language or memory per se, but things like spelling and writing and will eventually affect his visual cortex if it hasn't already. He's dictating his novels now, but otherwise his intellect seems intact. Indeed, he has another Discworld novel coming out in a month or two and is working on a science fiction series with Stephen Baxter of which one volume's come out.

Correction, the new novel is Dodger and is not a Discworld novel; it's set in Dickens's London. It's likely the Dodger is artful, but I'll have to read it to be sure.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
mitty wrote:
Twelve Patients is pretty intense, and he is quite descriptive. I like the way he brings in the whys and wherefores of both the patients and the system they are all caught up in.

Here is a review of The Slap from it's Amazon page:
Quote:
From Booklist
Although this is Australian author Tsiolkas’ fourth novel, it is the first to be published in the U.S. With its raw style, liberal use of profanity and racial epithets, and laserlike focus on the travails of suburban life, it is a down-and-dirty version of Tom Perrotta’s best-selling Little Children (2004). At a barbecue in a Melbourne suburb, a man loses his temper and slaps the child of the host’s friends. This incident unleashes a slew of divisive opinions, pitting friends and families against each other as the child’s parents take the man to court. Told from eight different viewpoints, the novel also deftly fills in disparate backstories encompassing young and old, single and married, gay and straight, as well as depicting how multiculturalism is increasingly impacting the traditional Aussie ethos. For good measure, the author also throws in male vanity, infidelity, and homophobia. Tsiolkas’ in-your-face style is sure to alienate some readers—the child’s parents, for example, are among the book’s most unlikable characters—but his novel, which won the 2009 Commonwealth Prize, fairly radiates with vitality as it depicts the messy complications of family life. --Joanne Wilkinson

After you've read The Slap I suggest watcing the tv mini-series that was made. It's really fantastic, wonderful acting. I believe it was recently aired in the US.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi Terese,

I wish I had known about that too. In fact there was a book Marc recommended years ago called, The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber, which was recently filmed. It's such a lengthy book, so rather than squeeze it into one movie, it was made into a British mini series.

I think Anglophiles and period readers will all like this book, even with its length. I'm certain there are others here that are familiar with it.
mitty
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks Terese, I certainly will, I had no idea the book had been filmed. I'll be concentrating on The Slap now that I've finished Twelve Patients.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
"The Crimson Petal and the White" is one of the books in one of the stacks of paperbacks I haven't gotten around to reading (thin ones are so much easier to carry around). I'll move it closer to the top.
Marj
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Wonder where my copy is.
bartist
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I was massively confused when I picked up a copy of The Cloud Atlas in the library and encountered a book that seemed to bear zero relation to the upcoming film. Well, there was a reason for that....

http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Atlas-Liam-Callanan/dp/0385336950/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349026180&sr=1-1&keywords=the+cloud+atlas+by+liam+callanan

Oddly, two books of the same title were published in 2004, this one, and the one by David Mitchell upon which the film is based.

I got quite a ways into Callanan's book, striving mightily to figure out how the story of a soldier in Alaska, studying the threat of Japanese rice paper balloons, could have somehow morphed into the film described in Marc's review and other synopses. I was thinking along the lines of "well, look what they did to Stephen King's 'Lawnmower Man'...."

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Very weird. Did you notice that the two professional reviews of Callanan's book are actually for Mitchell's book? Both of them even mention Mitchell in the first sentence. I'd think Amazon would be more careful about such things.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
In a bit of synchronicity, I recently began reading Stross's "Singularity Sky," which begins with a rain of cellphones from The Festival, an interstellar civilization with a "cornucopia machine" that can produce anything in any amount. Meanwhile I've read about these 3-D printers (there's a home version now being produced), and today in Slate, I find that Stross's concept of easy weapons and revolution may be on the way. From the Slate item:

Defense Distributed, a collective led by UT-Austin law student Cody Wilson, has raised $20,000 online in a bid to design and develop the world’s first entirely 3-D printed gun, which it calls the Wiki Weapon. If it succeeds, not only will it build its own prototype, it will share the design publicly, so that anyone around the world with a 3-D printer can print his own pistol. It’s sort of the opposite of “Don’t try this at home.”
In a promotional video, Wilson waxes philosophical about the project. “The Defense Distributed goal isn’t really personal armament,” he says. “It’s more the liberation of information. It’s about living in a world where you can just download the file for the thing you want to make in this life. As the printing press revolutionized literacy, 3-D printing is in its moment.”
Turns out the company that leased Defense Distributed its 3-D printer doesn’t see it that way.

[P.S. Yes, he had to lease a printer, but as I noted above, they'll soon be available to everyone--like personal computers.]