Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

Trish
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
When the disks arrive, I suspect you will find Emilia Clarke's "Daenarys" to be well worth rooting for. Watched ep. 3 and 4 this weekend. Dary grows in confidence, bigtime.

Season 1 she was great - season 2 - her storyline (and the writing for her) was a bit dull - although it seems that season 3 there will be more drama in her story arc
yambu
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I am surprised and dismayed there is no discussion here of Newsgroom. I can only conclude that many of you can't get HBO, because you live this half of the year in Colombia or some such place. For those who can't, here are a gift of several previews, or trailers:
http://www.hbo.com/the-newsroom?cmpid=ABC1261

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
YAM - some of us, incl. me and Joe, don't have cable at all. Several others are cabled, but lack HBO, and catch up with the DVD later. Be ye not dismayed.

Trish - I watched two more episodes, in spite of my plan not to. Tyrion's escape from the door in the floor was great, and confirmed my feeling that I don't want to follow the series into Tyrion-less territory.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
I am surprised and dismayed there is no discussion here of Newsgroom. I can only conclude that many of you can't get HBO, because you live this half of the year in Colombia or some such place. For those who can't, here are a gift of several previews, or trailers:
http://www.hbo.com/the-newsroom?cmpid=ABC1261

There has been some discussion of The Newsroom, and there will be more once I get back to the city and my HBO access.
yambu
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Good nuff, Willyweeds. Meanwhile, the story is moving along at hyperspeed. At times I wish I could pause it.
I already love the slightly ditzy, typsy, witty Margaret Jordan character. And while I rarely can stomache drunks, in or out of real life, this show already has two of them who are perfect. One is a hilarious functioning alcoholic, the other a hilarious staffer who can't hold her own. Hilarious because she drinks because she finds herself in a bar hangout for reporters, ala Mickey Spillane. And hers is a two-step descent, from slightly tipsy (ie, giggles) to slightly more tipsy (no giggles). Now that's acting.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
Good nuff, Willyweeds. Meanwhile, the story is moving along at hyperspeed. At times I wish I could pause it.
I already love the slightly ditzy, typsy, witty Margaret Jordan character. And while I rarely can stomache drunks, in or out of real life, this show already has two of them who are perfect. One is a hilarious functioning alcoholic, the other a hilarious staffer who can't hold her own. Hilarious because she drinks because she finds herself in a bar hangout for reporters, ala Mickey Spillane. And hers is a two-step descent, from slightly tipsy (ie, giggles) to slightly more tipsy (no giggles). Now that's acting.

That's Sorkin, Yam. In fact, I read a Q@A he did on the web, in which he talked about how much he loves the early comedies of the '30's and '40's. Even said, he hopes, The Newsroom is a up to date, "My Girl Friday."
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The Newsroom has been renewed already, partially due to Sorkin's rep no doubt, but also because the ratings for the debut were near-record.
Marj
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay!!

I suppose one reason I like 3rd Eye is the ability to share books, movies and TV shows with friends. Naturally I've spread the word to non 3rd Eye friends about the Newsroom for the same reason.

One friend is technically stupid. He can't find his On Demand if his life depended on it. So, he didn't see the first episode, and I think it's off Youtube by now. Still he's watched Sunday's episode twice already. I don't know why I love sharing so much, but I do.

Maybe it has something to do with being a twin. Just a wild guess.
yambu
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
As part of The Glorious Fourth, I was fortunate to surf onto the Discovery Channel and catch most of The President and the Revolution. I learned a ton; eg, I never knew exactly why Mel Gibson and others would trot to and fro in front of the troops before battle. Sure, it rouses the men, but it is his making himself the most defying target thatreally gets their blood up.

Catch it on the rebound.

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
The Newsroom kicks butt. Gets better and better. The third episode--in addition to being wittily constructed timeline-wise--features a climactic confrontation between Jane Fonda and Sam Waterston which rivets. Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer are fantastic, and the dialogue by Aaron Sorkin is endlessly quotable, even though no human being in my experience ever talked that way. If we did, we'd all be Dorothy Parker.
Marj
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Word times three!

Just saw it last night. That's when I got my cable back and was blown away. It's great watching it On Demand, because Sorkin follows the show with some insights.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
Gotta start watching The Newsroom On Demand for those Sorkin comments, but I just can't wait, so I watch it Sunday night almost live. Another wonderful episode last night which left me wiping away tears. The cast is exemplary and the dialogue continues to astonish. It's a total winner.
Marj
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Me too! And that happened both times I saw it.
Marj
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Btw, for those interested: The Newsroom is having a Q&A with Jeff Daniels this afternoon at 3PM. It's on HBO.com. Also Chris Matthews is having Jeff Daniels on Hardball, Thursday at 5PM. Matthew's son, is a member of the cast.
Marj
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Here it is:

http://connect.hbo.com/events/the-newsroom/live-q-jeff-daniels/