Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
Tell No One is great - Francois Cluzet looks like a French Dustin Hoffman - at certain angles, the resemblance is uncanny.

Quote:
One of the funniest lines I remember from ST was when Kirk and Spock have just time travelled to another world (I don't think it was the TCotEoF episode) and they are confronted by some security guys who ask about Spocks ears. Kirk hesitates and then says, "He got his head caught in a rice picker."

I remember that line! They didn't time travel, but it felt like time travel because they arrived at a planet that seemed to be modeled on Nazi Germany. Turned out, some Federation guy had been marooned there and tried to be a social reformer.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
I thought it was either that one or the one where two mafia-like gangs ran the place. Because of the funny line, I thought it was the gangster one because it was a funny episode.
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
Looked it up...turns out it WAS from TCotEoF....

Quote:
Memorable quotes for
"Star Trek" The City on the Edge of Forever (1967)

[Having arrived in Earth's distant past, Captain Kirk steals clothing so he and Spock can blend in but is halted by the sudden appearance of a policeman]
Policeman: [seeing Kirk with an armload of clothing] Well?
Capt. Kirk: You're a police officer. I recognize the traditional accoutrements.
Spock: [in regards to his own appearance] You were saying you'll have no trouble explaining it.
Capt. Kirk: [on the spot to explain Spock's alien features] My friend... is obviously Chinese. I see you've noticed the ears. They're... actually easy to explain...
Spock: Perhaps the unfortunate accident I had as a child...
Capt. Kirk: ...the unfortunate accident he had as a child. He caught his head in a mechanical... rice picker... but, fortunately, there was an American missionary living close by who was actually a, uh, skilled, uh, plastic surgeon in civilian life...
Policeman: All right, all right. Drop those bundles and put your hands on that wall there. Come on!

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
So they did time-travel. Thanks Bart. Yup, a great episode. I think Nemoy directed that one.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I think Nemoy directed that one.

Was Nimoy involved as well? Smile
marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
People always get them mixed up. Nimoy is Jewish but Nemoy is Chinese. Laughing
bartist
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Ha!

Loved the Leonard Nimoy "guest appearance" on the Big Bang Theory last week, btw. Tracking Sheldon's ongoing obsession with Nimoy (SEE ALSO the "Saturnalia Miracle" episode in which Sheldon is given a napkin used by Nimoy at the diner) is endless fun.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
This is really worth clicking on. Trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQz8jWAl7s

(the famed Leonard Nimoy napkin scene)

And yes, I'm a co-conspirator in a major digression.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Now that's funny!!!!!!
carrobin
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the show--too much canned laughter and nerdy testosterone, I guess--but that's a great scene.
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
It's got a lot of nerdy estrogen these days as well.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Lawrence Kasdan has a new movie coming out starring (are you ready?) Diane Keaton, Kevin Kline, Dianne Wiest, Richard Jenkins, Mark Duplass, Elisabeth Moss, and Sam Shepard. But don't get too excited. I've seen it and it's meh. The title is Darling Companion, and I really really really wanted to love it. (I'm a charter member of the Grand Canyon fan club as well as a huge devotee of Body Heat and The Big Chill.) But with the exception of one spectacularly great scene between Keaton and Kline, Darling Companion is just okay, sometimes less than that, and at least fifteen minutes too long.

The aforementioned scene makes the movie worth seeing, as do other matchups between Diane and Kevin, who seem born to play opposite each other. Each brings out the subtly sweet yet slyly comic sides of the other, and the results are always wonderful and (in that one scene) absolutely classic.

Would that the rest of the movie rose to even a fraction of their effect. Jenkins is miscast, Wiest is underused, Shepard is wasted (and unrecognizable), and Moss and Duplass might as well be played by unknowns.

The story tells of a couple and their family and their dog and how Moss's wedding at a retreat in the Rockies brings tensions between everyone to a comic/melodramatic/emotional head. It wants to be Chekhov but does not succeed. But every time Kline and Keaton are allowed screen time together a certain magic happens, and in that one scene it explodes into greatness. For that reason and that reason alone, I'm really glad I saw this otherwise very disappointing film.

In short, the perfect rental.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
As I'm sure you remember, Billy, my opinion and yours of Grand Canyon is equivalent to Signs. Walked out on GC. I enjoyed The Big Chill. Mostly for the music, but that ending was sickeningly precious. That's pretty well how I think of Kasdan.
bartist
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story tells of a couple and their family and their dog and how Moss's wedding at a retreat in the Rockies brings tensions between everyone to a comic/melodramatic/emotional head.

I think Alex Payne already told that story and called it About Schmidt.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
It seems that I'm one of the few who really liked About Schmidt. I've seen it more than once and found it involving every time. I also thought Nicholson was excellent.