Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

yambu
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Saw La Strada for the first time. The impish Giulieta Masina is sold to Anthony Quinn, and their journey is their way along his dumpy traveling road show. Quinn is amazing as the hard-bitten tough, totally beyond redemption. He, Quinn, was raised in Chihuahua, but his Italian was convincing, although it may have been with a Mexican accent. I would love to know.

The landscape reminded me of Waiting for Godot. Nothing in the environment held promise for his captive waif, so full of good life.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Saw My Cousin Vinny for the 7th time. Or was it the 8th? But it will not be the last.
yambu
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Allegro Non Troppo, a musical term for "not too fast", is said to be a spoof of "Fantasia", but I forgot all about the Disney work shortly after the first of six animation segments began. The music is Debussy, Dvorak, Ravel, Sibelius, Vivaldi and Stravinsky.

As Bolero begins, a timid creature from inside a discarded coke bottle takes shape, and growing in strength and numbers, ultimately encounters an apocalyptic Christ/Anti-Christ.

There are hilarious live action sequences that set up all the animated episodes. Laurel and Hardy be-alikes show up.

I hope I dream about this one.
bartist
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
I am so there, if only for the music. And the timid coke sprite.

Avoid "The Sensation of Sight," a 2006 indie w/ David Strathairn, a plotless and vague attempt on man's search for meaning, turgid with moments of pseudo-profundity. Got through 45 minutes last night, had to bail. For some reason, Strats has stopped teaching college English and decided to cope with a family loss by selling encyclopdias from a little wagon he pulls down the street. There may be a deep explanation for this, but I just don't care. And neither will you, is my prediction.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
God, Bart, I'm amazed you made it through 45 minutes, and I'm a real David Straithairn fan.

I had to come back here to find the title of Yam's film. I might as well. I've been catching up on 'British Masterpiece Theaters,' since I have about six or seven films waiting that just say, "Very Long Wait." It's never been this bad before. I think I've been waiting on The Help since before Thanksgiving.
Syd
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
yambu wrote:
Allegro Non Troppo, a musical term for "not too fast", is said to be a spoof of "Fantasia", but I forgot all about the Disney work shortly after the first of six animation segments began. The music is Debussy, Dvorak, Ravel, Sibelius, Vivaldi and Stravinsky.

As Bolero begins, a timid creature from inside a discarded coke bottle takes shape, and growing in strength and numbers, ultimately encounters an apocalyptic Christ/Anti-Christ.

There are hilarious live action sequences that set up all the animated episodes. Laurel and Hardy be-alikes show up.

I hope I dream about this one.

I've seen that several times. They used to show it regularly on campus. I identify with the poor aging faun.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Osaka Elegy. This is a 1936 Mizoguchi about a switchboard operator who becomes her boss's mistress in order to get him to pay off her father's debts, then gets another man to give her money for her brother's tuition, then wonders why, after getting herself and would-be fiance arrested, wonders why he and her family rejects her. Subtle as a mallet and the print I saw was murky and not-well preserved; it didn't connect with me at all except via annoyance. One of those movies that seems to last three hours when it's seventy minutes long, but it proves Japan could do pre-Code type movies, too.

Last edited by Syd on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Syd - I laughed out loud at your review, and I hardly ever do that!
Syd
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Fortunately I liked the other three Mizoguchis I saw, which were from later in his career.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
"My Week with Marilyn," is a well-done slice of her life, during the shooting of a film with Olivier (Branagh) and Sybil Thorndyke (Dench). The film's POV is a 3rd Director's Asst. who befriends Monroe while she finds herself at odds with the stage-trained British cast and new husband, Arthur (and based on a memoir the 3rd wrote in the 90's). The ensemble is great and Williams does a good job as Monroe, better than what is suggested in the trailer. The only distraction for this viewer is that I never found the original Monroe attractive (sorry, just not my type), whereas Williams....sigh. Not a great film by any stretch, but might be worth a rental for the amusing collision between the discipline and method of the British stage and a pure Hollywood product.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
You should follow that up with My Dinner with Marilyn, more properly known as Insignificance with Theresa Russell

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
bartist wrote:

I'd like to see a "My Dinner with Andre" treatment of Marilyn....maybe she dines with Wallace Shawn's father and they debate the Apollonian vs. the Dionysian or something like that.

It's called Insignificance, and Marilyn explains relativity to Einstein ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insignificance_(film)

edit: you have to copy and paste the link, because the end part in parenthesis gets cut off and you don't get to the film.

The posting, from a guy named "Gromit," had already set me in motion to tracking this down.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
If you're willing to do a little research, there are hidden gems to be found streaming on Netflix. Last night we saw a simply wonderful little 2011 movie called A Little Help, starring Jenna (The Office) Fischer in a masterpiece of a performance as a somewhat narcissistic but very likeable potential alcoholic housewife on Long Island who is forced through (spoiler-ridden) circumstances to grow up. Bolstered by a strong supporting cast including Brooke Smith, Ron Leibman, Rob Benedict, and Chris O'Donnell, Fischer paints an indelible portrait. This movie came in under the radar and stayed there through poor distribution and mixed reviews ranging from raves to damning-with-faint-praise. Yet it's better than three-quarters of the releases I saw last year. The director is Michael J. Weithorn, whose credits are mostly in television (he produced and directed The King of Queens) but who deserves a big-screen career.

Last edited by billyweeds on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
We also watched another excellent underseen movie, Leaves of Grass, starring Edward Norton as identical twin brothers--one an intellectual giant of national prominence, the other a pot farmer in trouble with drug thugs. It's like a Coen brothers movie but more earnest, which is either a virtue or a fault depending on your taste for Coen cynicism. I really liked Leaves of Grass and Norton's performance, but prefer Blood Simple, for instance. (LoG is directed by Tim Blake Nelson, who also costars.)

What a wealth of under-the-radar gems you can find on Netflix streaming. Next up: Lymelife starring Alec Baldwin. It's got a great reputation, all of it underground.
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Want to see Leaves of Grass - Norton seems to have a knack for duality roles.

[deleted, moved to next page]

Last edited by bartist on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total