Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

knox
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Finally started watching The Fall....it's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Some critics were bothered by the framing story, but it worked for me; essentially it comes down to putting yourself into someone else's shoes.

This was directed by the same director who did the equally beautifully filmed The Cell, which I also really liked and others were bothered by.

The Cell was surreal fant. done right - will consider The Fall a must-see. Looks like John Lithgow's son has a speaking part in the film, getting an acting career started.
Ghulam
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Idea of March isn't a train wreck or anything. It's just the type of film you watch half of on cable ....

It just insults your intelligence. Otherwise it is okay.

Ghulam
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
The four and a half hour long Portugese movie Mysteries of Lisbon won 10 international awards. It is based on an 1852 novel and is the last movie of the prolific Chilean director Raoul Ruiz. It is more than a costume drama. It brings an age alive. The long and involved story with a large number of characters is very much like the best novels of that time e.g. the works of Stendhal or Fielding. Many of the scenes are like classic paintings. Very absorbing throughout.
Syd
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Ghulam wrote:
The four and a half hour long Portugese movie Mysteries of Lisbon won 10 international awards. It is based on an 1852 novel and is the last movie of the prolific Chilean director Raoul Ruiz. It is more than a costume drama. It brings an age alive. The long and involved story with a large number of characters is very much like the best novels of that time e.g. the works of Stendhal or Fielding. Many of the scenes are like classic paintings. Very absorbing throughout.

You make it sound like War and Peace, or maybe The Leopard. What's it about?

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote
About 4 1/2 hours.

Have it sitting here.
Need to make time.

Watched dreck like Like Crazy last night instead. Poor excuse for a film.
I thought the male half of the couple was underdeveloped, until the two both got a side romance going and those two new characters might as well have been played by store mannequins. Much better to watch Once instead of Like Crazy, or even Blue Valentine which I didn't like but at least constituted an actual crafted story.

It did get me to laugh out loud once, when they talked about spending the Summer in bed and then there is a rapid montage of them in bed in different clothes and positions. It was supposed to be sweet and charming, but hit me as real sophomoric filmmaking. Felt like a college student wrote and directed this. Total lack of insight into a relationship.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Really disagree with you, gromit. I don't think "sweet and charming" was what they were after. SPOILER IN WHITE AHEAD.

I think the girl was "like, crazy," as in mentally disturbed, and that's what the double-meaning title meant. The montage of them in bed was intended to imply the addictiveness of a relationship which could lead to such an overwhelmingly bad decision--i.e., overstaying one's visa.

And the underdeveioped "other woman and man" were developed just enough. We weren't meant to get too involved with those relationships. (Though with the riveting--albeit overqualified--Jennifer Lawrence as the other woman I got a little involved anyway.)

I bought the story totally. Thought Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin were wonderful. Loved the movie. But whatever.
gromit
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
It's a fairly minor bad decision, the kind of dumb stuff young people do without thinking of consequences. I don't think that meant she actually had problems. She just put short-term pleasure over long-term implications.
Of course it could all work fine if boring guy was willing to live in the UK. If anything she seemed to have the more stable career and had a family she was attached to, while he was rumored to have a mother and his work was fairly freelance. But that solution was dismissed in a vague way.

The only thing that got me thinking she might be daft was her constant giggling. But that passes in this film for character development and contentedness. And yes, the film plays on her minor quirkiness and semi-obsession, esp with the early note.

But then we see her as a pretty steady girlfriend, a good worker, talented writer, having good relations with her parents, and slipping into another committed longtermish relationship with the new Mr. Nobody**. So she seems pretty stable and capable all around. And yes, Felicity Jones is a cutie and very watchable. I got disinterested int he film and found myself mostly trying to decipher her somewhat odd, appealing smile.

** would anybody actually propose to a girl in front of her parents?? Especially if the relationship was 6 months old and the answer in doubt. Geez. Of course we do see the parents get uncomfortable -- but was that trying to tell us this Mr new Guy was a total dunce?

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Started watching Coco & Igor last night, but fell asleep. Will try again later in the week.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
That was the second Coco Chanel film that came out in a fairly short time, right?
I almost went for the one that came out just after, Coco Before Chanel, for my Audrey Tautou fix, but somehow didn't.
Anyone know which of those two was best, and if either was worth seeing.

(the first was a TV film with Shirley MacLaine a few months earlier).
Do any of these films deal with her Nazi collaboration? Apparently she was a Nazi spy considered potentially valuable as she was friends with Churchill.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky is a 2009 French film directed by Jan Kounen. It was chosen as the Closing Film of the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, and was shown on 24 May 2009.

Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky is based on the 2002 fictional novel Coco & Igor by Chris Greenhalgh and traces a rumoured affair between Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky in Paris in 1920, the year that Chanel No. 5 was created. Greenhalgh also wrote the screenplay for the film....

The film was released in very close proximity to Anne Fontaine's Coco avant Chanel starring Audrey Tautou.

Plot: An introductory scene takes place in Paris in 1913, where Coco Chanel attends the first, scandalous performance of Igor Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring. The rhythmic dissonance of the score and the surprising choreography of the piece result in heckling and outrage among much of the audience. But Chanel is impressed by Stravinsky and his music.

Seven years later, Chanel and Stravinsky meet again. Although her business has flourished, Chanel is mourning the death of her lover, Arthur "Boy" Capel. Stravinsky has chosen to flee to France following the Russian Revolution. An immediate sympathy and attraction occurs between the ‘couturiere’ and the composer....

(from wiki)

What I saw was pretty good, but need to finish watching.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
knox wrote:
Syd wrote:
Finally started watching The Fall....it's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Some critics were bothered by the framing story, but it worked for me; essentially it comes down to putting yourself into someone else's shoes.

This was directed by the same director who did the equally beautifully filmed The Cell, which I also really liked and others were bothered by.

The Cell was surreal fant. done right - will consider The Fall a must-see. Looks like John Lithgow's son has a speaking part in the film, getting an acting career started.

That's funny; the other day my friend just randomly gave me a DVD of The Fall because he somehow ended up with four copies. I was unenthused, but now I'm not.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Shannon, did you see The Cell?
gromit
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The Fall has some great looking images. And they tout it as being all real cinematography -- that is, no CGI. But I found the story about how they found and arranged and shot these locations more engaging then the story in the film. So the commentary track is pretty interesting, even with lots of self-pats on the back.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Ghulam wrote:

You make it sound like War and Peace, or maybe The Leopard. What's it about?

More like Tom Jones or Barry Lyndon, but not quite. A better comparison would be with some novels than with movies, e.g Scarlet and Black or The Charterhouse of Parma. It has romance, vendettas, duels, piracy, reunions and a lot more.

marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sounds a little like The Black Rose, but it is a very long time since I've seen it and I don't remember any romance.