Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
I watched long enough to enjoy Chris Rock's VO jokes and the Chris Guest focus group.

Quote:
The Academy need to do something to make the Oscars more than an end of season coronation.

2nd that.

As Fred Willard suggested, "more monkeys!"

Alexander Payne and co-writers had a nice moment, if you caught it, parodying Jolie's thigh display.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Billy is right. Viola Davis was the heavy favorite in the weeks leading up to the Oscars. I had thought the true upset would be Michelle Williams, but my gut was with Streep.

The show was much better than last year, and as a nod to billy's (weeds, not Crystal) love of Bridesmaids, I thought Melissa McCarthy's presenting gig with the vodka mini bottle was great, along with the Crystal dressing room remake from the air marshall scene from the afore mentioned movie.

Was pleased The Artist didn't sweep the awards and that Hugo was shown some consideration.

Must see "A Separation" as well as many others, including the completely shut out "War Horse"

The Descendants is first on the list I didn't see before last night. Now to plan for the Blanches.

shannon
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
I hadn't watched The Oscars in probably five years until last night. It was excruciating. Emma Stone and Chris Rock provided the only entertainment.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Man, I must be either not old enough or not young enough to where I'm still enjoying the Oscars. I understand about last year with James Franco's regular cannabis high affecting MC gig, and certainly Billy Crystal's performance last night can't top his previous 8, but I must be missing something here.

I enjoyed Will Ferrell and Zack Galifianakis silly cymbal gag. I really liked Melissa McCarthy's humor. The opening reel was pretty funny. Chris Rock was funny with his voice over joke. Robert Downey Jr. faux documentary presenter was clever. The Muppets intro made me laugh. The speeches were all very good and never strayed off topic too much.

What am I missing here that was so horrible? What is it that you are wanting to make it so there is not a single "that was bad"?

shannon
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Not horrible. Just tremendously boring.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show too, but maybe it's just because I've watched them every year (more or less) and the others were so bad. The Christopher Guest interlude was weird and funny (and made me wonder again why Catherine O'Hara doesn't get more work), and Circus de Soleil was impressive (though the camera angles were annoying at times), and some of the banter and speeches were actually amusing. In comparison with last year, it was a triumph.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Last year's Oscars were tailored for the younger audience and they were rated by most as the worst Oscars ever. The young generation is not only clueless about history before the 80's but even clueless about history before 1995.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
Not horrible. Just tremendously boring.

So more humor and more action?

shannon
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
At least some humor would be nice. I mean, the audience couldn't even be bothered to laugh at Billy Crystal's jokes out of politeness.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
At least some humor would be nice. I mean, the audience couldn't even be bothered to laugh at Billy Crystal's jokes out of politeness.

Yeah, i did catch some moments where the jokes were missed on the audience.

knox
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Christopher Guest interlude was weird and funny (and made me wonder again why Catherine O'Hara doesn't get more work),

Carrobin, she has been pretty active as a comedic actress, but I think the new century she's been doing it more in tv than in film. For example, her amusing stint as the incredibly annoying boss in Six Feet Under. Nobody does crazy quite like O'Hara.

I'm sort of in the middle on this year's Oscars...some good moments, Chris Rock, Guest, Alex Payne's writing team poking fun at Angelina....but there definitely were patches where it seemed to be on life support. My real problem is that I'm just out of step with what the Academy thinks constitutes "best" in filmmaking and acting. But that's old news, and if I really cared about awards, I guess I could seek out the Indie Spirit rites or whatev.
grace
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
But that's old news, and if I really cared about awards, I guess I could seek out the Indie Spirit rites or whatev.

Even the Independent Spirit awards seemed very mainstream this year. Lots of nominees/winners in common with the Academy's choices; the crowd took the level of dress up a notch or two compared to past years; and no loopy, silly or Fuck You! acceptance speeches. Everyone behaved. I was quite disappointed.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I think it's rather silly to expect awards shows to be as entertaining as variety shows. They have a job to do, and their main problem is how to do it without boring an audience that isn't in the business--regardless of how glamorous that business may be. I watch the Oscars and the Tonys, and sometimes I doze off, but last night's didn't put me to sleep, which makes it better than most.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Gary I'm not sure it's cluelessness (though they may well be clueless, too) as it is realization how utterly meaningless an Academy Award is, in terms of evaluating quality. I think award shows are going the way of beauty pageants, and I'm not remotely sorry about this.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
...how utterly meaningless an Academy Award is, in terms of evaluating quality.

Truer words were never spoken. You can count the number of great films which have won the Best Picture Oscar on the fingers of two hands and have several digits left. There's It Happened One Night, The Best Years of Our Lives, Casablanca, The Apartment, Schindler's List, Gone With the Wind, Rebecca, and...help me out here.

And some (coughJoeVituscough) would take Rebecca and Schindler's List off the docket.