Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd be surprised of many Bosnians have returned. Though possibly. I guess more likely for Bosniaks.

I think they had Germany in mind, rather than going back to Bosnia. Not Muslim, not much for religion at all, AFAICT. The daughter, the one who could speak some English, said they had been through hell and so Nebraska looked pretty good for a couple years. But its charms were fading - I think, especially for her, as she was at that age (late teens) where you want to leave wherever it is you are and go where the lights are brighter. She looked like Claudia Cardinale, except prettier, so teenage boy hearts could be heard shattering all through town when she moved away.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
I caught some of the BAFTA show last night on BBC America, and was happy to see John Hurt get a lifetime achievement award (or something like that). He's been a favorite of mine for many years, and never has been properly appreciated in the USA.
shannon
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:
Mystified by the reception TA seems to be getting from award groups. Nice film, charming, but not great in any way. But this chat has happened already, and I just have to shrug and say "a chacun, son gout."

Agree with everything about this post. (Except the French quote, which is usually "chacun a son gout.") But whatever--or "chacun...."

I agree, too, in regards to the worth of the film, but I'm not that mystified by its reception. Award groups are probably really glad a movie that's actually really good came along and did the same things that the mediocre Hugo tried to do.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
I remain mystified. If The Artist were a really great film, I could understand, but all it is is pleasant. With genuinely good movies like The Descendants and War Horse in the mix, it is genuinely mystifying to me how a simply better-than-okay movie like The Artist can hop in there. It seems to be merely snob appeal.
shannon
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
You lost me at War Horse. I'd trade 347 War Horses for one Artist.

But seriously, I thought The Artist was more than okay. It's not a great film, for sure, like Drive, The Descendants, or Beginners, but it's better than most everything else I can think of this year.
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I thought the lead actress in The Artist was excellent and deserves all her nominations--except once again a lead has been put in a supporting category.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
You lost me at War Horse. I'd trade 347 War Horses for one Artist.

But seriously, I thought The Artist was more than okay. It's not a great film, for sure, like Drive, The Descendants, or Beginners, but it's better than most everything else I can think of this year.

You lost me at Beginners. Insufferably twee, with an overrated performance by Christopher Plummer, who would never have gotten an Oscar nomination if his name were Christopher Kramden.

The only really good performance in Beginners was that of Mary Page Keller (who?) as the borderine-personality mother. Keller etched a full character in just a handful of moments. She's really talented.

Not that Plummer is not talented--he's a terrific actor--but this performance was nothing special.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billy -

I expect a full report when you get home tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Today is the day billy films his part in Inside Llewyn Davis. Haven't you been paying attention?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Not as closely as some, it seems.

Smile

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I haven't seen The Artist or Beginners as yet, so I can't say too much about the choices made by BAFTA. However, from the trailers and what I have read, neither film is calling out to me. These films I will see rather than films I have to see.

I was pleased to see Rango, bizarrely ignored by The American academy, win the BAFTA for best animation. Similarly, The Skin I Live In by Pedro Almodovar won the BAFTA for best foriegn film despite not being nominated for an OSCAR .

Last edited by jeremy on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" won best British film--which delighted me, since I'm the only one I know who liked it.
Syd
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
jeremy wrote:
I haven't seen The Artist or Beginners as yet, so I can't say too much about the choice's made by BAFTA. However, from the trailers and what I have read, neither film is calling out to me. They are more films I will see rather than films I have to see.

I was pleased to see Rango, bizarrely ignored by The Academy, win the prize for best animation. Similarly, The Skin I Live In by Pedro Almodovar was ignored by The Academy, but won for best foriegn film.

? Rango wasn't ignored by the Academy, unless you're talking about a different Academy than AMPAS.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" won best British film--which delighted me, since I'm the only one I know who liked it.

Well, a friend of mine who is into movies emailed me:

Quote:
... speaking of intrigue, I did see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, which I thought was excellent. Oldman has such a restrained performance, that when he finally raises his voice, toward the end of the film, I almost fell out of my chair the impact was so jarring. I heartily recommend that one.

But we tend to have fairly different taste in film.
And LeCarre has always been a snooze to me ...