Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

knox
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Will look for it. Grammer sounds like a perfect addition to the party.

Alcatraz is hitting its stride. A man who forces stories out of people, like some psychotic NPR reporter. Love it.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
I don't know how many others here are watching "Downton Abbey" on PBS, which has finally started its second season, but apparently the third season has a special treat in store--the mother of the earl's wealthy American wife arrives, and she's Shirley MacLaine. Note that this will put her head-to-head with the rather ferocious Maggie Smith. A British columnist comments:

"The Downton Abbey set at Highclere Castle is secretive and it will not, like Daphne du Maurier’s Manderley, give up its secrets before it is ready to have the nation drooling in front of the idiot box. But a mini-series addict can always guess what will happen when a scene-chomping Hollywood star meets the doyenne of the English stage. It will be visceral, like Coriolanus, but with hats."

Can hardly wait.
bartist
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Grace - saw your comment on Person of Interest at the Melban board; the plot was absorbing and Papgeno Finch finding a possible Papagena, looks like a promising thread to wind in there. Reese also looking a bit captivated, to the degree that that's possible for Reese. Missed part of it, so was a little confused as to who the hacker was, but will try to catch it in its entirety.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Going to be bold and make another prediction (did so years ago with Gosling after I saw the Believer):

Young actor to look for - with fabulous potential - Evan Peters he really is something special

You all have to see (when it comes on DVD) the first series of American Horror Story. The series was fantastic (great acting all around really - Lange richly deserved her golden globe and SAG award and Vera Farmiga's little sister Taissa is wonderful)
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
So eager to see Smash I can taste it. Haven't been this excited about a network show in years.
Marj
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
So eager to see Smash I can taste it. Haven't been this excited about a network show in years.

I've seen it. But I'll keep my opinion to myself. I'll be very curious to see what you and everyone here think.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
Not looking forward to Smash, which seems like a too obvious and unimaginative attempt to cash in on Glee (which I used to like but can't watch anymore).

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Not looking forward to Smash, which seems like a too obvious and unimaginative attempt to cash in on Glee (which I used to like but can't watch anymore).

I saw the first episode on demand, and it's very little like Glee. It's a somewhat trite but very entertaining take on the 42nd Street cliche, with two young women competing for the plum role of Marilyn Monroe in a new musical. Debra Messing plays the book writer and Anjelica Huston the producer. It promises to be fun.
Trish
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
Another fabulous young actor - to look forward to - Jeremy Allen White - who plays 'Lip" in Shameless. Recently caught this series on demand - very good
marantzo
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

I've seen it. But I'll keep my opinion to myself. I'll be very curious to see what you and everyone here think.

Welcome back Marj. We missed you.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Debra Messing was on a morning show talking about how "Smash" wasn't like "Glee"--it's a show for adults, she said, and there's divorce and adoption and that kind of thing... I wanted to alert her that "Glee" is also for adults (younger ones mostly, but my 91-year-old mother loves it) and it's already dealt with divorce and adoption and that kind of thing. "Smash" had better have more than "anti-Glee" going for it.
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Joe Vitus wrote:

Glee's had a really sour streak this year, particularly with the resurrection of the story line about Quinn and the baby. It's nice to have Shelby back, but I was hoping that had been resolved forever.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
I thought the issue was kind of resolved last week, with Quinn going on to college. There was no "That's it, Shelby can keep her forever," but I took it to mean that Quinn was going forward with her life (and doing so 700 miles away).
Marj
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Gary. And Carol, for the call and post.

I think Smash is the kind of show that's going to get a lot of mixed reactions. It's very much of a "behind the scenes" Broadway show, but not so "in" that it will steer non-Broadway types away. But perhaps too "in" or trite for the true Broadway veteran. That's why I'm not surprised that Billy called it trite.

I also don't think you can compare it to Glee. I may be wrong, but I think they're too different shows. For me, Glee is far too trite, while I can suspend my disbelief with Smash. I also think it's going to come down to how much you like the cast - especially Katharine McPhee. Personally, I think she's finally found her niche.

Trish - What is Shameless?

Hi, Joe!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hi!

By the way, how did you get to see the show ahead of everyone else. It hasn't aired, right? The conversation is kinda moot, though, from my perspective since I don't have television and only make an effort to see one show: Downton Abbey. And I missed that this week!

-Topher