Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

bartist
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I see Kevin Smith's attempt to distribute his own film kind of fizzled and "Red State" is going straight to video next Tuesday. Stephen Root, John Goodman, Melissa Leo, Anna Gunn....apparently, it's straight horror, no comedy (can that be right?), and has right-wing Xtians in a tizzy. I would watch that ensemble read the menu at Wendy's to each other, but have no idea what to expect from Smith.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Puss in Boots: Antonio Banderas in the role he was born to play, and Salma Hayek as his leading lady, Kitty Softpaws. Get off your butts. **** of *****.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Midnight in Paris

The City of Light properly steals Woody Allen's gorgeously shot fable of existential authenticity, his best film in at least a decade. Assuming Woody's schlub persona, Owen Wilson delightfully dovetails with Marion Cotillard's 1920s dream girl and Rachel McAdams' 21st century termagant. Allison Pill's Zelda Fitzgerald and Adrien Brody's Salvador Dali are perhaps the standouts amid a slew of Lost Generation (and La Belle Epoque) fixtures that ignite this endearing miniature.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
inla--Thanks for reminding me that Owen Wilson should be on my short list of Best Actors of 2011. He was really wonderful in a way he's never been before--and he's been wonderful several times.
inlareviewer
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Relayed Deaction Dept.:

willybeeds: Mine too. Woody took his chops to a whole other level. After the troubles Owen's seen in recent years, it made me most happy to see him amid such classy company, operating on such spot-on form, not least when required to register wonderment, excitement and disbelief at once.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
The Twilight Samurai: The story of an impoverished petty samurai in the last days of the Shogunate and his devotion to his two daughters, senile mother and childhood sweetheart which conflicts with his duty to his clan. This is an often moving and beautifully filmed movie that sometimes turns a little too sweet (it is narrated by his grown-up daughter who was five when the events take place), but that's nitpicking. Not much swordplay but what there is means something. ****1/2 of *****

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
Midnight in Paris

The City of Light properly steals Woody Allen's gorgeously shot fable of existential authenticity, his best film in at least a decade. Assuming Woody's schlub persona, Owen Wilson delightfully dovetails with Marion Cotillard's 1920s dream girl and Rachel McAdams' 21st century termagant. Allison Pill's Zelda Fitzgerald and Adrien Brody's Salvador Dali are perhaps the standouts amid a slew of Lost Generation (and La Belle Epoque) fixtures that ignite this endearing miniature.

I have no excuse not to see this movie now that it's out on video.

Trish
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
I was a bit underwhelmed by that movie
Trish
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Ditto for Ides of March
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Trish--You and me, babe, twice.
Syd
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Amadeus stands up pretty well to a second viewing but really belongs on the big screen. The extended version notably turns the film from a PG to an R. Great performances not just from Abraham and Hulce, but from Elizabeth Berridge (whose character is fleshed out in the extended version in more ways than one) and Jeffrey Jones. None of them would ever be this good again, although Jones also has a notable role in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The soundtrack's pretty good too. 9 of 10 and the best film of 1984.

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
None of them would ever be this good again, although Jones....

Jones was superb in Amadeus, but I think he was equally good as the newpaper editor in Deadwood. JMO and all that.

And yes, Amadeus you'd want to see on the largest screen and best sound system possible. AFAIK, America has only one city that features moviehouses devoted to nothing but reshowing classics. Dangit.
bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Pretty hard for Jones to beat his role in Amadeus.

They're called "revival houses" BTW. LA might have a few, too, but I'd guess most of them are in NYC.

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I knew it was something like that. What's hard to find, outside of NYC, are revival houses that show recent films, as in, a couple or more years out of first-run. Say, for example, In Bruges. If someone wanted to really appreciate the fairyland streetscapes of Bruges, on a large screen, what other city might offer the chance?
bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
It has to be asked: would a revival house in the city of Bruges ever be showing "In Bruges" ?