Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
She certainly doesn't deserve sympathy. Schadenfreud is what she deserves.
Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a good movie, but I think the TV version with Alec Guiness was better. The uncanny logic and deductive powers of professional spies come through with alacrity. Both Gary Oldman and Colin Firth are excellent. The Swedish director, Tomas Alfredson, does not seem to be able to convey British quirkiness and idiosyncracies of the characters that made the TV series so interesting.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Jeremy, TTSS sounds too listless to really be a spy thriller; more like a spy contemplation. Thanks for taking the bullet.

Gromit,
Quote:
With Melancholia, I stripped away everything I didn't like and was left with the light bulb in the projector and I suppose the opening prologue.

Heh. It was fun doing a bit of point/counterpoint on a film here. Hasn't been enough of that around here lately.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
And if the end of the earth means that these annoying overprivileged people will be decimated, then imo the collision happened about an hour or hour and a half too late.

But isn't this the point of the movie? Von Trier has said this is the only movie he's made with a happy ending, and it makes sense to me. Part One is Dunst rejecting everything these annoying, overprivileged people have to offer her and being really, really depressed about it; Part Two is about her saying, "The world's ending, who the fuck cares?" Isn't the central moment in the film that speech about "The earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it"? She dies with a smile on her face. The movie's hardly Deep Thought, but nothing of Von Trier's ever is, really.
bartist
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Amen. Von T. doesn't supply any deep thought, just provides something evocative and/or outrageous for the viewer to react to and, if the viewer chooses, think deeply about. My film companion and I did have a bit of a chat about Dunst's nihilistic line about not grieving for the earth. It could be seen as a sly commentary on what some of the Green rhetoric boils down to. (like, humans = planetary virus)

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Shannon.........very good! I agree Von Trier gives food for thought. I'm still thinking about Antichrist. Charlotte Gainsbourg was in that, too. I thought it was a very hard movie to take but it did have a window into how nasty it can get when a couple turns on each other.......that's been a theme in other movies (that Michael Douglas/Kathleen Turner one).......and a couple's response to the death of their child has been a theme (Don't Look Back). Probably Von Trier takes a fearless approach to human experience......the visuals are pretty, but what happens is nightmarish.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't realize John Hurt was in "Melancholia." Now I really want to see it.

If you are a fan see Brighton Rock.....it came out last year to little fanfare. Helen Mirren is in it. I really loved the book.......the movie couldn't capture it that well.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gromit, you have made up my mind.

Gary, make up your own fucking mind! WTF!
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
OK Marc, my mind is unmade again. But I don't think I'll see it anyway. Angst, depression, unlikable characters....not my kind of movie.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
OK Marc, my mind is unmade again. But I don't think I'll see it anyway. Angst, depression, unlikable characters....not my kind of movie.
Yeah, if I wanted to see angst, depression, and unlikable characters I'd go home for Thanksgiving.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
The Oscar nominations are out and lamer than ever, with the notable exception of Original Screenplay, which features three of the best: Bridesmaids, Margin Call, and the best screenplay in decades, A Separation. Unfortunately, they're all up against Woody Allen and his "comeback" flick, the sweet but rather unexciting Midnight in Paris, and the probable winner, the nicely photographed but utterly trivial, forgettable The Artist.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I'm delighted to see Gary Oldman nominated, though of course he won't win. His Smiley was both cold and sympathetic, a difficult combination but so English.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I'm delighted to see Gary Oldman nominated, though of course he won't win. His Smiley was both cold and sympathetic, a difficult combination but so English.

His nomination means I have to give TTSS one last and monumental try.

Delighted--and astounded--to see Demian Bichir among the nominees. He's wonderful.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'd hoped that Albert Brooks would be nominated, but at least he got a glance from the Golden Globes.

I checked the complete list of nominations on the Internet and it looks as if Marj's sister's documentary didn't make the cut. I hope she isn't discouraged--she sounds like a real talent.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Oscars are crazy. Brooks should definitely be there in place of Max von Sydow, who doubled down on the Christopher Plummer "it's about time" routine. Plummer was overrated but acceptable. Von Sydow's nod is borderline idiotic--no fault of the actor himself, just the ridiculous role in the pretty terrible movie.

And Ryan Gosling has room to complain loudly. No nomination last year for Blue Valentine--for which Michelle Williams was named--and nothing today despite 2011 being arguably "his year."

Drive didn't get no love. Well, sound recording, which it deserves, but come on. The Artist? Extremely Cloying and Incredibly Cutesy?