Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Overlooked Films

bartist
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Surprising how many good movies are coming from a country with the population of Ohio. Sweden seems to really support its film industry. There's a Svensk film at the art house here, this week, a comedy about an ex-convict called "A Somewhat Gentle Man," which is getting good buzz. I'll keep an eye out for (the) "Storm."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I saw a movie for the third time a couple of weeks ago. Once in the theatre and twice on the idiot box. It stayed as good as the first time I saw it, though it's better on the big screen of course. Lucky Number Sleven is a top notch crime-mystery movie with excellent performances from a stellar cast of Josh Hartnett, Bruce Willis, Lucy Liu, Morgan Freeman, and Ben Kingsley.

An very overlooked film in my book.
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the that title was a factor in its being overlooked. I will check it out now.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
I recall Slevin's plot being too convoluted, the bad guys being cartoonish (with rival empires out of penthouses across the street from each other), and a male fantasy hot friendly asian girl next door.
But it is in The Usual Suspects vein, with some recent asian revenge drama in the mix.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
The plot is twisted but it all straightens out before the movie ends. I thought the rival crime bosses' apartments being across from each other was a good effect and humorous. There are some funny things in the flick.

The Usual Suspects is a big favourite of mine. I've liked some of Bryan Singer's other movies but he hasn't matched TUS yet.
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Singer has good attention to detail, and I liked The Usual Suspects, but I don't think of him as a film director too much. Aside from Valkyrie (where I feel Cruise was miscast, to bad effect) and TUS, most of his directing/producing has been for television. And there he has been a creative force, as with "House MD."

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
I'm also a fan of Lucky Number Sleven and consider it a fine overlooked film. I think it's more than a crime/mystery. It has some wonderful comic scenes as well. It's a unique little gem, that really defies categorization. And I need to see it again.

Thanks for reminding me of it, Gary.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome Marj or as they say in Medellin, con gusto.
Marj
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
de nada!
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Transferred from the Best Films site:

Completely overlooked film: Everything Is Illuminated. A very good movie from 2005. Directed by Liev Screiber, main actors Elijah Wood and Eugene Hutz, both excellent as are most of the other players.

It's about a young man (Wood) travelling to the Ukraine to find the woman who saved his grandfather's life during WWII (holocaust). Hutz is his chauffeur and guide. Wood's character is proper, always wearing a suit and tie, and quietly serious. Hutz's character is the opposite and comical unintentionally and intentionally. The journey is a pleasure to watch. Very funny at times, mysterious at times and powerfully moving at times.

It seems to have come and gone without much notice. Has anyone on here seen it? I think I wrote a review of it back when it was current.

Last edited by marantzo on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
grace
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Also a fan of Everything is Illumninated - though I really loved it the first time, and came to love it a little less over multiple viewings. Visually stunning at times (ie, the sunflower fields) also. I didn't realize that Schreiber directed it.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone on here saw it.

It came to mind a couple of nights ago when I woke up and started flicking around the channels. I came across it just before they meet the woman who saved his grandfather. Too bad it was dubbed in Spanish but I'd seen it so I knew most of what they were saying. When they spoke in Ukrainian they had subtitles in Spanish.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:

Completely overlooked film: Everything Is Illuminated. A very good movie from 2005. Directed by Liev Screiber, main actors Elijah Wood and Eugene Hutz, both excellent as are most of the other players.

It's about a young man (Wood) travelling to the Ukraine to find the woman who saved his grandfather's life during WWII (holocaust). Hutz is his chauffeur and guide. Wood's character is proper, always wearing a suit and tie, and quietly serious. Hutz's character is the opposite and comical unintentionally and intentionally. The journey is a pleasure to watch. Very funny at times, mysterious at times and powerfully moving at times.

It seems to have come and gone without much notice. Has anyone on here seen it? I think I wrote a review of it back when it was current.
Read the book, it is miles and miles better than the movie, which I slightly disliked for its ending. Perhaps in part because it was a huge change from the book, but also because I didn't feel it worked on its own level. Particularaly the "Wait, they are suddenly Jewish?" bit.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:

Read the book, it is miles and miles better than the movie, which I slightly disliked for its ending. Perhaps in part because it was a huge change from the book, but also because I didn't feel it worked on its own level. Particularaly the "Wait, they are suddenly Jewish?" bit.

So in the book the guy who looks for the woman who saved his grandfather isn't Jewish?
grace
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking WP means the grandfather, maybe? - the book and movie are different. In the book, the grandfather gave up his Jewish friend to the Nazis (he had to choose who would die, him or his friend, and he chose the friend). In the movie, the grandfather was Jewish, but pretended to be dead in among the actually dead bodies in order to survive. That's all if I recall correctly; have to admit, I finished the book on willpower alone.

The parts of the movie that bugged me were dumb things, like the dog's name - I felt like the joke was just beaten.to.death. That, and the blind grandfather driving - yeah, yeah I get it. It's hilarious. Even the potato scene was just a little too cute for me. Overall, though, I'm still a little warm and fuzzy about Everything is Illuminated.