Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It is no surprise to any of us that the Times does not understand the web.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Hey Syd, your senator is a menace:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/inhofe-scared-crap-out-airport-workers-192645
A cavalier jerk too.
I like how he dismisses this as an old story.
It happened only 6 months ago and just became public.
I probably wouldn't have mentioned it except that the article includes a pic of Cary Grant dodging the cropduster.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
gromit wrote:
Hey Syd, your senator is a menace:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/inhofe-scared-crap-out-airport-workers-192645
A cavalier jerk too.
I like how he dismisses this as an old story.
It happened only 6 months ago and just became public.
I probably wouldn't have mentioned it except that the article includes a pic of Cary Grant dodging the cropduster.

Inhofe also made a half-hour speech on the Senate floor supporting the dictator of the Ivory Coast at the moment that the dictator was captured by opposition forces. The dictator was claiming that his opponent won an election by vote fraud, when the olnly way the dictator won was by excluding the entire vote in several areas the opponent won. Obama's congratulated the actual winner, while Inhofe's a total imbecile. He makes me appreciate the relative brilliance of Tom Coburn in comparison. Coburn may be insane but at least he's not stupid.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
Gbagbo was elected to a 5 year term, decided to stay for 10, and then was pressured to finally hold elections. When he lost, he dismissed the results and refused to leave. I sure would be interested to know the Inhofe/OK connection to the Ivory Coast. There has to be something there -- money, a mistress at a lobbying firm, a love for cocoa puffs, etc.

Btw, props to the Frenchies who brought in tanks, helicopters, boots on the goddamn ground, and brought about the final end for Gbagbo in Abidjan.
You know the kind of thing Obama is afraid to do.
Why not encourage the French and/or Brits who seem willing to deal with Qaddafi.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
"Btw, props to the Frenchies who brought in tanks, helicopters, boots on the goddamn ground, and brought about the final end for Gbagbo in Abidjan.
You know the kind of thing Obama is afraid to do.
Why not encourage the French and/or Brits who seem willing to deal with Qaddafi."

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I liked Sarkozy right from the start. He is a little eccentric for a leader of France, but I like that, and he has no qualms about voicing his opinion and pushing things through that he believes in. France being a strictly secular country for one thing, and his recent initiatives regarding the dictators who have been facing uprisings in the last few months. He has changed the face of France from a self-centred, we are above all these conflicts and active participation, to, we don't tolerate anti-France rules of conduct from our citizens or criminal despots in other countries, not just with words, but actions. It goes back to de Gaulle when he took his holier-than-thou approach to the world. De Gaulle was never popular in Paris, by the way.

I can understand Obama's reluctance to enter the fray in the middle east and Africa because the US is involved so much in other areas, but still think he is being far more caution than what is called for.

I really like the fact that England and France are on the same page. Charles de Gaulle must be turning in his grave. Laughing
Syd
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Sarkozy also has a hot wife who can sing. She's one of his biggest assets.

Gbagbo is apparently a born-again Christian, which is one of the reasons Inhofe likes him.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Sarkozy also has a hot wife who can sing. She's one of his biggest assets.

Gbagbo is apparently a born-again Christian, which is one of the reasons Inhofe likes him.

That's funny and I think it must be the reason.

I'm not sure if Sarkozy's wife was much of an asset in getting votes, but he hooked up with her, not giving a damn what anyone thought. Another action in his brash manner and an insight into how clued into the French psyche (well the male Frenchmen), he was. Maybe she did get him men's votes, but I think she would have cost him women's votes.

He's a short, immodest, secular guy who loves attractive women and gets things done. Sure reminds me of Napoleon. The French armed forces my be having a renaissance.

Very Happy
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy was married to his 2nd wife when he got elected, then got divorced soon after the election, and he married Bruny 6 months later.
Both Sarkozy and his wives seem to be serials cheaters.

The Conquest, a biopic of Nicolas Sarkozy that charts his rise to power and break-up of his (2nd) marriage has been selected for the Cannes Film Festival.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
I'd like to do a bit of self-promotion here. I am currently appearing in a brilliant play called The Un-Marrying Project, one of the best pieces of writing I've ever had the pleasure/honor of helping bring to the stage. It's a play with a miltant message, in favor of gay marriage, but not militant in effect or I wouldn't be particularly interested. No, it's pure entertainment--funny and sad in equal measure--and is the work of a simply marvelous writer named Larry Kunofsky.

If this show were in a more mainstream venue it would be a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, believe me. Not to say that the director Rachel Eckerling has assembled one of the finest acting ensembles I've ever worked with. Anyway, here's an on-line review that appeared this morning which sums up the show intelligently.

I play three roles and am a member of a sort of Greek chorus as well. It's one of the most fulfilling experiences I've ever had as an actor, or as a human being.

If you come to the show, and I fervently hope you will, I can arrange for either comps or half-price seats, and the full price is only $18 anyway.

Here's a link to the review, and the performance dates are in the copy.

http://tinyurl.com/3strsr4

Let me know if you want to come. You will not regret the two hours you spend in that theater, I swear it.
Earl
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
Hi, all.

While my presence here has been scarce lately, I'm afraid I'll be around even less in the coming weeks. My family and I are mourning the death of my sister. We just got the news yesterday.

I'll be back sometime, just not sure when.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Earl, I am so sorry. I had no idea. Take care, and I mean that for your mother, too.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
Earl--Add my condolences. We'll be thinking of you a lot.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Earl, I'm so sad to hear that. You have my sympathy.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Sarkozy was married to his 2nd wife when he got elected, then got divorced soon after the election, and he married Bruny 6 months later.
Both Sarkozy and his wives seem to be serials cheaters.

The Conquest, a biopic of Nicolas Sarkozy that charts his rise to power and break-up of his (2nd) marriage has been selected for the Cannes Film Festival.

The people knew that he and his wife were splitting up. She stayed by his side though through the election. And IIRC they knew about his new squeeze also. Bruny never had any qualms about stating that she liked to have affairs with more than one man either.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Your sister, and your family, will be in my prayers, earl.