Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Earl
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Meant to mention before that last week's House, M.D. episode had a nice mini-reunion of Joan of Arcadia stars Amber Tamblyn (Joan) and Chris Marquette (Adam, Joan's next-door neighbor and sometimes boyfriend). Too bad Jason Ritter and Joe Mantegna couldn't have joined the fun, but I suppose they're busy with their own shows.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
All my network TV sources seem to be blocked by the networks. It's happened before, but this time it has lasted for 6 days so it might be permanent. Looks like a lot of old time radio for me. I'm listening to Judy Canova right now. Maybe we should have a radio forum. Oh, now it's Red Skelton.

At least this lack of contact will give me reruns to watch later when I'm home, that I haven't seen.

The Skelton show is making jokes about the gasoline rationing now. It's a show from 1942.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
The new Dana Delaney show, "Body of Proof," is pretty good. The character was on "Castle" last season, helping Beckett track down a killer, and she carries a show very well, but her backup guy doesn't have the charisma of Nathan Fillion, or for that matter David Boreanaz. (Couldn't they have found another "Buffy" alumnus? Nicholas Brendon, where are you?) Still, it's always good to see another smart crime-solving dame heading up a TV series.
Marj
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought you were a The Good Wife fan, Carol. If you haven't been watching it, then you'll have to rent it. This is definitely a show for you.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a couple of episodes of "The Good Wife," and agree that it's a good show, but it always seems to be up against something else that appeals to me more. Last season I think it was "Castle." My mother likes it a lot. You're right, I should check out the DVDs.

Last edited by carrobin on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Earl
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I thought you were a The Good Wife fan, Carol. If you haven't been watching it, then you'll have to rent it. This is definitely a show for you.

Indeed. That's a helluva bombshell they've dropped on us in the last couple of episodes involving Kalinda. I also have very much enjoyed the development of the character of Cary this season. And then Eli Gold, as played by Alan Cumming, continues to be a treasure.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote
I really hated Delaney in NYPD Blue so I was not looking forward to her new show. But she didn't look quite the way I remembered so I checked and she never played on NYPD Blue. It was Kim Delaney.

Sorry Dana.
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Missed the Joan of Arcadia reunion, will watch for it on reruns. Body of Proof was okay, but I thought the pilot was a little clunky, with the characters doing expository conversations on who they each are. I'm a big "show, don't tell" guy, and it seemed kind of stilted.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Looks like a battle developing over 'Mad Men." The network wants to put in more commercials, and reportedly wants a couple of characters dropped. Aaron Sorkin is, naturally, objecting. Doesn't AMC realize how lucky it is to have this show at all? Greed is going to kill its golden goose.
Earl
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
Had no idea Sorkin was involved with "Mad Men."

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I tend to associate him with the show, maybe because of "West Wing"--Matthew Weiner is the guy, of course. Here's an Internet item on the subject:

Get Don Draper to close the deal. Just the other week there were stories that a new deal was near that would keep "Mad Men" creator Matt Weiner running the critically acclaimed cable drama for another year or two. That may have been premature. Now talks appear to have broken down. At issue, according to the Daily and Deadline Hollywood, is AMC's desire to squeeze a few more ads into the show and trim some costs by canning some of the cast. Weiner, already very well compensated, is resisting that while at the same time looking for a deal that, if these reports are accurate, would pay him $15 million a year, or more than $1 million per episode. Maybe they can compromise and he can shave a few bucks off his deal and keep some of his cast and AMC won't jam quite so many commercials into the show.
Earl
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Interesting that a dispute over advertising...

I enjoy some of the ads "Mad Men" ran last year, the ones (seemingly) produced specifically to be run only during a "Mad Men" episode. The first time I saw one I mistakenly thought I was missing part of the episode and quickly un-muted the TV, only to realize that they'd fooled me. These are the ads that have the same "look" as "Mad Men" if you know what I mean.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Those ads were indeed concocted specifically for "Mad Men," though they may have run on other shows as well. Clever, those admen.
grace
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Never mind.....

But thanks for the heads up on Body of Proof. I've always found Dana Delaney quite charming for some reason.
Marj
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the twist involving Kalinda was a real shocker. It's one of the things I like about The Good Wife. You have to use your brain, because you never know in what direction they're going to head. My opinion is that now that Alicia has made a tentative decision about her marriage, they had to find a new subplot.

Btw, Aaron Sorkin has nothing at all to do with Mad Men. I think you're confusing him with Matt Weiner.