Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
Incidentally, I thought Anne Bancroft gave a terrific performance as Mrs. Robinson. It's just that I would like to have seen what Mike Nichols planned to do with Doris Day in the role, since she was supposedly his first choice. I can't help but think it would have been fascinating and possibly more intrinsically so than what he did with Bancroft.

Interesting, Bancroft herself had originally been considered a highly mediocre-at-best starlet, though at the age of 13 or 14 I had zeroed in on her appearances on television and thought she was fantastic. She was "discovered" on Broadway in Two for the Seesaw and was immediately a superstar after toiling for years in such cinema epics as Don't Bother to Knock with an awkward Marilyn Monroe, Demetrius and the Gladiators with a wooden Victor Mature, and The Girl in Black Stockings, with Mamie Van Doren and Lex Barker (no comment).
bartist
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
GARY, go to this website and, while you're visiting, do a search on Mel Gibson. The whole site is pretty funny....

http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=483

(apparently I was not alone in my misattribution of jewishness to Sandy...)

And ScarJo IS Jewish? Who knew?

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Incidentally, I thought Anne Bancroft gave a terrific performance as Mrs. Robinson. It's just that I would like to have seen what Mike Nichols planned to do with Doris Day in the role, since she was supposedly his first choice. I can't help but think it would have been fascinating and possibly more intrinsically so than what he did with Bancroft.

Sums up my thoughts on the matter, too.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
That was funny. Thanks, bart.
Marc
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
One of my best friends and one of the best men to walk the earth has died:

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/poet_prophet_and_redneck_revolutionary_joe_bageant_r.i.p/
carrobin
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Great story. I've never heard of him before but I'm sorry he's gone--he sounds like someone we need.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
One of my best friends and one of the best men to walk the earth has died:

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/poet_prophet_and_redneck_revolutionary_joe_bageant_r.i.p/

A great piece on your friend and yourself, Marc. One helluva guy!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I know this has been asked before, but if I want a DVD player that plays items from different countries, do I want an all-region or region free player? Or are these the same?

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Is everyone dealing with the NY Times new digital paywall?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/opinion/l28times.html?_r=1

Supposedly a lot of other news organizations (both old and new media) are looking at this closely to see if it will succeed and be a model for them to follow.

I enjoyed that they tested it on Canada first. Not sure why that made me laugh, but it did.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not interested in their cash grab. I check out other publications like the L A Times which is not only free but their puzzles are free and they are the equivalent of the NYT's puzzles. There are a lot of good papers that one can go to on line, so have doubts that the NYT will be successful with this effort.
gromit
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I know this has been asked before, but if I want a DVD player that plays items from different countries, do I want an all-region or region free player? Or are these the same?

Should be the same. Basically if the dvd player isn't locked to a specific region (R1 in the US) then it is region-free and plays all regions. Pretty sure that's right, with the caveat that in China all players (and all dvd's) are region free so I never think or worry about that region bs.

Hmm, not sure if this is an issue, but certainly best if the player reads and plays all regions automatically, instead of needing you to click to change to the appropriate region. Not sure if that is an issue on out-of-the-box players, but apparently it is on some players that you hack to make them region-free. So that's something small to check/ask.

So to me, region-free sounds best, or equal to all region which has automatic reading/playing.
Not sure if I've explained or muddied the issue.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:

I've subscribed to the "weekender" delivery plan, where I get Friday, Saturday, and Sunday papers. That gives me access to the website as well as iPad and iPhone, if I ever get those. I'm addicted to Paul Krugman and Gail Collins, so they've got me hooked.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Gromit. When I discovered the Region 2 release of Quadrophenia has five extra minutes, I determined then and there that I must have a machine that can play it. I'm a little intimidated because I don't want to spend a extra money and then find I've bought the wrong thing. And I kinda doubt the Best Buy clerks really know that much about the products.

Frustratingly, Best Buy does not have their web page set up in a way that one can look for a particular item and then look for it in stock at a nearby store. So I guess I'll have to drive out to see if one of the stores around here has one.

Not sure if an item like this I should order through the mail (from Amazon, say). Not sure what the likelihood of damage in transit is.

Again, thanks.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Earl wrote:

I've subscribed to the "weekender" delivery plan, where I get Friday, Saturday, and Sunday papers. I'm addicted to Paul Krugman and Gail Collins, so they've got me hooked.

I think they really screwed themselves when they shut down their forums and ran the paywall for a couple years. I used to go there all the time to chat about the Knicks and then would search through their articles. And I'd peek in on a few other forums as well. NYT was by far my primary news source then.

When they went for pay customers only, I would still find Krugman reproduced elsewhere.
When the free NYT returned, I didn't.
I only sporadically go there now.

Well, I read Krugman's blog a lot, and his articles usually. But I get my news from the AP feed, Google News, Juan Cole, Drudge Report and Retort, BBC and Real Clear News. NYT is more or less an afterthought. Every month, I go there for a few days and then forget about it again.

It's so marginal to my news gathering now, that I didn't even bother to find out what the new policy is. If it restricts me, I'll use NYT even less. The forums were a terrific way to maintain loyal traffic. They should have worked on monetizing that and getting readers to go from the forums to the articles (and vice versa). I read and post on 3 forums regularly, and two of them are offshoots of the NYT. If I were still using their forums, I'd still likely be reading their articles and using their site more than any other. Their loss.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
Joe, also make sure whatever machine you buy plays PAL (the Euro standard). I would think that any region-free player almost has to, but best to ask and make sure.

I'm assuming every region-free/all-region player automatically handles the region coding and plays both NSTC (US standard) and PAL. But doesn't hurt to ask and be sure.

If possible, you can go to the store armed with a Euro R02 disc -- either buy the one you want, borrow one from someone, or rent if available -- and you can test it out in store.