Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Shane,

sending you good vibes.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Great article on De Palma at The AV Club, with probably the best write-up of Mission to Mars, ever:

Quote:

De Palma has never shied away from treating any genre with a strong dose of his sensibility: all heightened emotions, florid style, and tongue-in-cheek humor. As a result, he’s always evoked hostile reactions from those who don’t care for his take on mainstream moviemaking, although the reaction was unusually vicious to Mission To Mars, a mash-up of high-minded 2001: A Space Odyssey-style sci-fi and countless Rocketship X-M-esque ’50s B-movies. Yes, Mission To Mars is goofy at times, with its squeaky-clean story of a yeoman crew of astronauts racing through space to rescue stranded colleagues and investigate possible extraterrestrial contact. But it’s no goofier than De Palma’s over-the-top thrillers, and is every bit as bravura—in some ways more bravura, since the weightlessness of outer space allows De Palma to move the camera on x, y, and z axes. It’s simple, really: Either you roll your eyes at the scene where the heroes are aided in their desperate search for a leak in their ship’s hull by a handy squeeze-pouch of Dr. Pepper, or you smile at the sublime silliness of it, and appreciate how De Palma pivots from that moment to a scene steeped in real tragedy, as a daring rescue effort leads to a husband and wife having to say goodbye to each other forever. It makes sense that people who don’t know De Palma might not enjoy the abrupt tonal shifts and overt artificiality, but veteran critics should’ve known better. Mission To Mars is one the director’s most entertaining and emotionally powerful films: a salute to modern mythology that understands how rockets can fizzle and crash, and how awesome they can look before they do.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/brian-de-palma,52964/

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I find it almost impossible to talk about Mission to Mars without also giving a nod to Red Planet -- two films truly bound by the Rule of Two law, came out the same year (IIRC) and both offering interesting characters that rose above the constraints of mere genre. But, much as I liked Val Kilmer and Carrie Anne Moss in Red Planet, I'd have to go with the AVC in saying that MtM is the one you need to see. Like Kubrick, DePalma manages to capture some of the magic and poetry of space, and with considerably more warmth.

Glad you posted that, Joe. I may have to dig MtM out of the bin and watch again.

More thoughts -- I was impressed that the film managed to conform to the rules of true science fiction, in being drawn from a "literature of ideas," and managing to present so many scientific ideas: the Panspermia theory, that Mars "seeded" Earth with life, the cruel and uncompromising nature of the laws of physics, as Tim Robbins has no choice but to sacrifice himself as he is dragged down into re-entry, the possibilities of a biosphere allowing longterm survival -- in this case, for Cheadle -- and the "Arc" concept, where an entire race must flee to another solar system after eco-catastrophe. It does all this, without sacrificing the development of characters and breathing life into them. And Gary Sinise even learns to breathe in some kind of liquid (shades of "The Abyss"), so that he can make the lone journey at unthinkable velocities to another star system. The liquid, one presumes, protects him from crushing accelerations, and leaves him cute enough to stand next to Melina Kanakaredes in some distant future where he fights crime.

Oh yeah, DePalma can do sci-fi.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mission to Mars is a disaster. And I know De Palma. It is embarrassingly bad, with an ending that wrapped it up in a way that it deserved. Stupidly and badly done. Right from the back yard party near the beginning with the gag inducing discourse between the astronaut friends who seem like D grade college frat boys, I hoped with all my might that it would get better, which it did before crashing and burning in crappiness again. FEH!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked, shocked by your response.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not shocked but surprised that you liked that ridiculous movie. The Red Planet which was not great by any stretch, was a much better movie. It was an actual scifi movie, not a mishmash of cartoon characters, childish humour, unbelievable events (did you notice that Cheadle had gone insane while stranded and came back to sanity in about two minutes?), sappy tragedy and aliens that looked like something that MacDonald's hands out to kids, but of course highly evolved. This is a movie for the under 10.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
Mission to Mars is a disaster. And I know De Palma. It is embarrassingly bad, with an ending that wrapped it up in a way that it deserved. Stupidly and badly done. Right from the back yard party near the beginning with the gag inducing discourse between the astronaut friends who seem like D grade college frat boys, I hoped with all my might that it would get better, which it did before crashing and burning in crappiness again. FEH!
I agree 100% with gary's take on Mission to Mars, which I have never seen.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, Gary, as far as I'm aware, you've never re-considered a position in your life, and certainly not your position on any movie in any conversation you've had with anyone on this site, so I hardly expected you to reconsider your opinion of Mission to Mars in light of that quote.

But I'd say you misunderstood how Mission to Mars was to cheesy sci-fi what a Lichtenstein painting is to the cheesy cartoon panels he reproduces. No, I don't expect this post to alter, or even cause you to consider altering, your evaluation of this movie, either.

-Topher
Shane
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Years ago when we first heard about Alzheimer's, it seemed horrific. Now it's become so "ordinary" that it's frightening in a different way. My father died of it in 2006. The good news is that the medical understanding of it is expanding quickly, and there's a sense of urgency about finding treatments and a cure.

I guess that there is a bit of peace to be found in all the discussion and knowledge about it. I don't feel gutsy my friend just scared that I'll forget people before I want to. It's a challenge to find ways to remember stuff Kinda like the movie 'Without Her'
which I really liked.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Sweet christ the Charlie Sheen discussion on this board is hilarious.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
McBain wrote:
Sweet christ the Charlie Sheen discussion on this board is hilarious.

I'm about to make it even more hilarious, or something or other, by eating a large portion of crow. Whether Sheen always was doing performance art, or whether that started after a few more days of staying away from the pipe, he is beginning not only to make more sense but also to reveal levels of talent I never knew he had. When I saw this I laughed out loud and my face became immediately a little bit redder.

http://tinyurl.com/4aqx3an
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm glad you got a kick out of it, Billy. Of course, one wonders what he'll be doing to get on Animal Planet. A bit scary to think about...

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Shane,

I'm sorry to be late on this, but I've been stymied about what to say, except I want only the best for you. I admire your outlook. Like Marc, I send you good vibes.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Shane--Obviously (I hope it's obvious) I feel the same way. But cures are being found, so hang in there. Good wishes your way.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Two upcoming events:

On April 8 at the IFC Center (formerly the Waverly) my stepson Eric Schaeffer and his partner Donal Lardner Ward open their new comedy They’re Out of the Business. It’s a sequel to their breakthrough 1994 feature My Life’s in Turnaround, and it’s hilarious. Reminiscent of Preston Sturges, it even includes an inadvertent tribute to the one-take “walking and talking” scene between Betty Hutton and Eddie Albert in The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek. Not incidentally, Dolores and I are both in it, playing heightened versions of ourselves. The movie will be available On Demand on cable television in advance, as of March 30.

On April 9-30 at the Paradise Factory on East 4th Street, I will be appearing in a fascinating new play called The Un-Marrying Project. Written by the brilliant young ( and multi-awarded) playwright Larry Kunofsky, it’s about married couples committing a unique act of civil disobedience, getting divorced in solidarity with gay couples who are not yet allowed to get married. Very funny, solidly satirical, yet still heartfelt, it’s a most unusual and marvelously original play. I play several roles--a WASP, a blue-collar type, and a rabbi.

I can provide more info if you let me know.