Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

Kate
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Also caught Toy Story 3 and for this one seeing it on the plane was probably was not a good thing. I like it well enough - entertaining story line and all - but I suspect it is better on the big screen - or even a 13 inch. Just could not love it.
Syd
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Kate wrote:
Also caught Toy Story 3 and for this one seeing it on the plane was probably was not a good thing. I like it well enough - entertaining story line and all - but I suspect it is better on the big screen - or even a 13 inch. Just could not love it.

The climactic scene needs to be seen on the big screen. It's one time the surcharge for 3-D is worth it.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Kate wrote:

The climactic scene needs to be seen on the big screen. It's one time the surcharge for 3-D is worth it.

Saw it on a computer screen and thought it was one of the best animated films in history. Shows to go ya.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Knight and Day not bad
droll spoof of techno-thriller
Diaz, Cruise, chemistry

(OK, one extra syllable....just say Diaz quickly and make it sound like one syllable)

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
The early scene on the plane when Diaz is in the can and Cruise is causing mayhem outside is hilarious. This is going to be good was my conclusion at that point and I was right.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It seems a bit over-serious to describe Knight and Day, which is a popcorn movie, as "underrated," but that's just what it was. It's a solidly entertaining example of the genre, with charismatic performances by both pieces of eye candy, and it got generally trashed. Not fair.

Something similar and even more egregious happened more recently with the James L. Brooks romcom How Do You Know, a wonderful movie that only got a handful of wonderful reviews, with most of them pans. Sometimes I think critics are idiotic. Make that "a lot of the time."
jeremy
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I've never really believed in Tom Cruise as a romantic lead. He's at his best playing narcissists, more into wowing women than loving them.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
knox
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Loved the cabin mayhem scene in Knight and Day, too. And the highly amplifed absurdity -- as in the cellphone mistake, where Diaz answers a call (thinking she only had to not make outgoing calls) and a few seconds later aircraft are strafing and bombing their island hideway.

And have never liked Cruise so much in anything else -- he does seem to do well with the egocentric jerk or narcissist, a character who moves through life with supremely unwarranted confidence and charm -- so I hope he sticks more with comedy in future.
Earl
Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
From Prada To Nada is an endearingly modern take on Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility" as well as a loving homage to Mexican culture in Los Angeles. If you love Austen and enjoyed what Clueless did with "Emma" then you'll enjoy this one too. Catch it on the big screen while it's still out.

**** out of 5

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I enjoyed the BAFTAs. For good reason, they are more low key than the Oscars, which makes for a more relaxed atmosphere. It's a bit like a classy Golden Globes. For me, the only disappointment was that their were so few surprises. Of interest were the wins for Social network (including Best Director) holding off a clean sweep by home favourite The King's Speech. This should give the supporters of the former film some heart for the Oscars. Chritopher Lee's acceptance of the Academy Fellowship was truly humbling.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Seeing bad fright films
So you don't have to comrades
Case 39 stinks.

Squinty Renee Z.
Takes demon girl under wing
Drudgery to snuff.

One reason to watch,
Jodelle Ferland as bad girl,
Gives genuine chill.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I saw Knight and Day, with a bad cold. Naturally I fell asleep. But what I do remember was enjoying the tongue in cheek approach to the goings on.

I will see it again when it gets to premium channels.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The Kings Speech is very good.
bartist
Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The Fighter -- caught in last moments before the Festival of Golden Bald Swordsmen, not into boxing movies, not expecting much one way or another, then....

HOLY SHIT. BEST FILM OF 2010. CONSIDER THIS MY BLANCHE VOTE.

Wahlberg, Bale, Leo, Adams -- each give performances, each own their character absolutely, each give us something that any actor should be proud to consider the shining peak of their career. Hit me so deep emotionally, I can't really put it into words -- HENCE consider this a SQUAWK, not a review.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
The Fighter -- caught in last moments before the Festival of Golden Bald Swordsmen, not into boxing movies, not expecting much one way or another, then....

HOLY SHIT. BEST FILM OF 2010. CONSIDER THIS MY BLANCHE VOTE.

Wahlberg, Bale, Leo, Adams -- each give performances, each own their character absolutely, each give us something that any actor should be proud to consider the shining peak of their career. Hit me so deep emotionally, I can't really put it into words -- HENCE consider this a SQUAWK, not a review.

Totally agree. Not the best, but certainly better than the two front runners.