Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Best Films of the Decade - 2000 to 2009

Marc
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did anyone else put Children of Men in theirs?

I did.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Cool -- it's so worthy.

Moulin Rouge!; You Can Count On Me; Zodiac; Lost In Translation; Before Night Falls; The Diving Bell & The Butterfly; Little Miss Sunshine; Amélie; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days; the aforementioned Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

*screech* -- my brain's on OverDrive. . . .
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
I have not really enjoyed any of Charlie Kaufman's work. Contrived, over-reaching and mental masturbation.

Let's form a club.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Ghulam wrote:
I have not really enjoyed any of Charlie Kaufman's work. Contrived, over-reaching and mental masturbation.
Mental sex with someone I love....

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
This is why I can NOT make lists.
Me neither. Virtually all the films you cited in your two previous posts would either be locks or contenders on mine as well. Far too many to winnow down to 10. The Best of Youth is absolutely one of my favorite films of the decade, but in length and scope, it might as well be three of my favorite films of the decade. Or all the Pixar films. All of them. Or certain films that premiered on cable but were released abroad in cinemas. Or those films that for whatever reason send me yet aren't necessarily or even actually "great" films. It's just too taxing on my feverish cranium, expecially when one candidate makes me think of yet another, and another, and another.

Not that lists are bad or anything.Wink

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Lists are fun to read, but hard to compile. Especially when they are restricted to 10 for a whole decade or god forbid, a lifetime.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Lists are fun to read, but hard to compile. Especially when they are restricted to 10 for a whole decade or god forbid, a lifetime.

You said it right, Gary. They are very hard to compile. Took me some time to get mine together. Some of my picks were easy, but most went on and off the list until they found their place on or off the list. I even went back to watch a few of them over the last couple of weeks to see if it still had that spark and enthralling feeling.

inlareviewer
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Mulholland Drive tops L.A. Film Critics Association's 10-best-of-decade list

1. "Mulholland Drive"

2. "There Will Be Blood"

3. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

4. "Brokeback Mountain"

5. "No Country for Old Men" and "Zodiac" (tie)

6. "Yi Yi"

7. "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy (tie)

8. "Spirited Away"

9. "United 93"

10. "Sideways"

LAFCA: Films of the Decade

The full list is pretty interesting, containing many films cited in this forum (and some most assuredly not). The breakdown of each critic's weighted ballot is also rather intriguing.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
That list is fascinating to me, containing four of my own top ten and also two which are assuredly in my "Worst of the Decade" list. Amazing.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
I know Leonard Klady. He's a Winnipegger of course. He is closer to my older brother Bill's crowd. Very nice guy. I have no (how could he have picked that one) reaction to his picks. Didn't pick My Winnipeg though. Smile I think the last time I saw him was at a restaurant shortly after I had seen Excaliber which he had given a good review. I asked him how he could have given it a good review. He wasn't offended or anything and agreed to disagree. Something like that anyway.

I'm sure Billy would be thrilled to se Synecdoche and Eternal Sunshine on so many lists.

I haven't seen it, but what's with There Will Be Blood being such a favourite. Every review I've heard or read (including here) says that it goes off the rails in the final third.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
That list is fascinating to me, containing four of my own top ten and also two which are assuredly in my "Worst of the Decade" list. Amazing.
Amazing to me in that it is a Top 10 list with 14 films on it.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Paring down a decade’s worth of films into a top ten is a near impossible task. Part of the problem is that this entails spurning brilliance, but it is also difficult to make short list reflect a number of competing objectives. There is always the temptation to reward the worthy at the expense of the slight, however well-made, or the frivolous – is it justified to allocate a precious spot on the list to a guilty pleasure. And the seminal, the inventive, the iconic all deserve to be recognised. However, part of the raison d’etre of such lists is to make hard choices, to weigh and to judge, to choose between your children. So no cheating; in the order they came to mind; 10 it is.

Pan’s Labyrinth
Kill Bill
Apocalypto
The New World
Spirited Away
The Incredibles
Eastern Promises
Mulholland Drive
Moulin Rouge
City Of God

Also vying for inclusion were:

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance; Slumdog Millionaie; Sexy Beast; Saw; Shaun Of The Dead; Children Of Men; The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind; Donnie Darko; Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World; Team America; Sympathy for Mr Vengeance; Atonement; Lagaan; Gosford Park;4 Months, 3 weeks, and 2 days; The Lives Of Others; Y Tu Mamá También; Sin City; Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkhaban…

Last edited by jeremy on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:

Pan’s Labyrinth
Kill Bill
Apocalypto
The New World
Spirited Away
The Incredibles
Eastern Promises
Mulholland Drive
Moulin Rouge
City Of God

I've seen all but the last of those movies. I need to refresh my memory of why I haven't yet viewed this movie.

Shane
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Fascinating to me that two movies I actively loathe are #1 and #2 on that interactive list, and my #1 movie is nowhere to be found.

Yes, fascinating is the word for it.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.