Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

yambu
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote
Marge -

...Did you know that the word Messiah came from the Greek?...

No, but my unabridged says the Greeks stole it from the Hebrew, as they were wont to do, from before, during, and after the time of Christ. Phonetically, the Hebrew is " Maysaíach", meaning The Annointed One.
lissa
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
Ehle - I am actually thrilled you brought that up - because though we did it on the other site, we're in a new ballpark now, and I would love to - eventually - include a book/movie-tie-in Forum, or discussion. I had a hard and fast rule that has me not seeing films until I've read the book, and THEN deciding whether or not I want to ruin my imaginative visions by seeing someone else's take on a beloved book. The one exception to that rule was when I bought Like Water For Chocolate after having seen (and bought) the film. The book and film hold true to each other more closely than any other tie-in I have seen (although About A Boy comes close. And dang, that's another one I read after seeing the film...whoops!)

So your suggestion is a good one, and I think I am one who will get the book in preparation for the film. Thanks, Wade!

yambu - those childhood memories are wonderful, especially when they carry forth. And goes to show just how language, established at an early age, can be so powerful. When my now 20.5-year-old nephew was a baby, he couldn't say "Auntie Lissa" so with his emerging babytalk, he was drawling, "annnnnnnnnnnn-eeeeeeeeee". To this day, I am Annie to all three nephews, ages 20.5, 17.5 and 11. It is one of the sweetest endearments to which I answer. (but none o' y'all better be usin' it *grins*)

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
Will I be banned forever if I admit to reading a John Grisham novel? (Seriously, this should be criteria for banishment, me thinks.) I just finished The Last Jurer, first Grisham I've read since high school. Good fun. He's not really a good writer, but his stories are interesting in a tv movie kinda way. They're fun, wholesome, not too taxing on the brain ("not at all" that probably should read), and they're over in less than 4 hours. That said, I am appropriately ashamed of myself.
Marc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:59 am Reply with quote
a movie that did justice to the book:

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST
Marj
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, but my unabridged says the Greeks stole it from the Hebrew, as they were wont to do, from before, during, and after the time of Christ. Phonetically, the Hebrew is " Maysaíach", meaning The Annointed One.

Yambu,

I should know by now not to trust certain sources. Sheesh.

Truly, your explanation makes actual sense! Rolling Eyes
yambu
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:13 am Reply with quote
Alright, already. In response to the clamor for my Isaac Bashevis Singer joke, here it is:

As for the past 40 years, at 11:45 each day, Ezra shows up at the same Kosher deli, sits at the same small corner table by the window, and orders the same lunch - matzohball chicken soup.

This day, he says to Mo, his waiter of 40 years:
Taste the soup.

Whaat, taste the soup. I don't have to taste the soup.

Mo, I want you should taste the soup.

I know the taste. It hasn't changed in 40 years.

Mo, taste it.

Alright, already, I'll taste it.......Where's the spoon?

AHAH!
Marj
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
Shannon,

I think Grisham is what one might call a good page turner. It takes a certain talent to do that well. And I have a gut feeling everyone has read a Grisham at one time or another. I've tried a few. The only one I would even mention is Runaway Jury.

Speak of a bad film from a book! This was unrecognizable. If we ever made a list of the worst movies taken from a book, this would be close to the top.
censored-03
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I have mentioned in other forums that I have been looking forward to the making of the film A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES for years. I so enjoyed the book about 20 years ago. To hear that Will Farrell is playing the role of Ignatious Reilly (not the originally rumoured Philip Seymour Hoffman) has made me sick. I hope he surprises me but as another poster said to me "expect the worse" or something like that. What a waste of a great book-to-movie property!

Recent books on my list :

Sentimental Education - Gustave Flaubert....I've been reading this book on and off for 2 years !

The Theatre (A Concise History) - Phyllis Hartnoll

18 Best Stories By Edgar Allan Poe..... A one-time fellow New Yorker..and it shows.

The Artist's Way (A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity) - Julia Cameron....a very strange "gift" from a friend.

Sex, Art, And American Culture - Camille Paglia....tell me what you really think girl !

Quincy ( The Autobiography of Quincy Jones)...cool stories...like the time a musician friend of his cooked him food and taught him about women when Quincy was 16 and the friend (Ray Charles) was 18.

To be honest reading all of the posts in The Third Eye is a very interesting kind of book to me..a very current one.

djmnyc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
I really liked The Davinci Code. It was grand silly entertainment on the level of the first two Scream movies. Admittedly, it wasn't quite as wise as the an U. Eco work, but it was quite fun. Even more than "The Name of the Rose", it paled after "Focoult's Pendulum". But, its advantage is that it doesn't require a full week of isolation to read, nor does it require dodging a baby viper. (Literally, not metaphorically)

Other things I've read lately: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, author of The Virgin Suicides. It's his second novel;, and is quite an adventure. Of late, it's kind of tied with the life of piand my dysfunctional memory data for a wonderful thing. Omniscent narrator two generations before she was botn, and eventually enters the story. Sweet!

Then, iI have my moments when my brain isn't still on vacation. Looking forward to Dogville, The Fifth Obstacle, and several others.

Oooh, sorry I keep getting off-topic. W.G. Sebald, who recently (10 months?) died in a car crash, is one of the most amazing writers I've ever read. It's a bit rough, but it's so life affirming. Y'all start with Rings of Saturn Read his review of the writing of an SS tortured Jew, in which he says is one of the first important, genuinely felt writings on the subject in 15 years. And I think he's right! This, of course, was split, half before I saw Liebskind's Jewish Museum, and half the morning after I saw it. Big Kudos for mixing the light and fun with the gloom. And for making a few spaces to cry in relative privacy...
shannon
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:45 am Reply with quote
I liked the film version of Runaway Jury. Not a lot, but I did like it. Thought Hoffman and Hackman had one of the best "You can't handle the truth!" scenes of recent memory, plus I'll watch Cusack in anything. And Weisz is easy on the eyes, too. Thought changing the villains from a tobacco company to a gun company was kinda inspired, as I thought the anti-cigs aspect of the book was over-the-top, even for a Grisham novel.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
I think Grisham is a decent premise-setter-upper, but after the first 50 pages or so, I find myself losing interest. He's just not that good a writer, even on the pulp level. I prefer such hacks as Robin Cook and James Patterson. At least they keep the story moving past the premise. Grisham invariably runs out of steam. This even applies to "The Firm," which is still probably his best but is only riveting for the first 100 pages.
bocce
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
i find grisham, brown, clancey et al unreadable for the same reason i find a lot of present animation unwatchable: there is no depth.

characters are not fleshed out and there is little panorama. the average modern animator seems so consumed with the action that he fails to create an enviroment of any substance in which it might take place. there is little figure from ground delineation which is necessary to both the developement of the character and of the story.

the reason we have sets and props in theater is so the audience has to make an investment in the landscape as well as characters and action which takes place within it. in a lot of modern animation and writing, the characters cast no shadows on their enviroment. they merely interact with one another motivated by the storyline, atoms bumping into and rebounding from one another in an empty universe.

i'm probably overstating this and i'm sure there are great present animators. i simply prefer the don de lillos to the dan browns.
djmnyc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Well, yeah, I read White Noise, recently, and it resonated more than Brown's work. But, I like variety. Bootylicious has room on my shelf with the more serious stuff...
Melody
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
... there is a really good novel that is being filmed right now and perhaps we could start reading it in anticipation of the film? It's A Home At The End Of The World by Michael Cunningham, author of The Hours ... It's also really cool just to read what everyone else is reading.

Ehle,

I'm in favor of a book club type discussion. As I loved Cunningham's The Hours, which I read after seeing the movie -- which I also loved -- I will go out today and try to find AHatEotW.

Just went to IMDb --

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359423/

Wow -- Colin Farrell, Robin Wright Penn and Sissy Spacek -- now I'm totally curious. What a wide-ranging cast! And with Cunningham writing the screenplay and Penn & Spacek there to keep Farrell in line -- well, it's definitely at the top of my must-read and must-see list.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Melody,

I am not ignoring you, I am tearing the place up trying to find my copy of CPatW (I think my brat sister took it from me), I want to re-read the ending to get a better feel of it before responding.

Grisham, to me, is like Stephen King on his good days, churns out stories with some modicum of success - but not too deep - as bocce pionted out.

I thought Christine was a pretty good try at book to movie.

I am really liking this forum, can't wait to put in my first review.