Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Syd
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
No posts exist for this topic.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Finally saw Avatar -- somewhat better than I expected, after all the "Pocahontas-in-space" critiques and whatnot -- the visual artistry is amazing, in terms of the planetary environment, and the strangely erotic/exotic Na'avi and their feline good looks. Sure, the plot is simplistic pap, and the ending improbable, but the exploration of the science fiction concept of the avatar was well-rendered and held my interest. That and all the flapping loincloth moments -- god bless frame-advance.

Also interesting that JC followed the Joss Whedon playbook -- "no rayguns." It's a natural choice here, as there is nothing like an old school ballistic weapon to produce carnage. A gun that vaporized would have been too tidy for fully conveying the horror.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
As with Aliens, James Cameron likes his grunty hardware. For a current audience, the marine-type styling, redolent of the daily news reports from Iraq and Afghanistan make a conection, add verismilitude, and, as you say, make for a more brutal form of warfare.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bartist
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the funniest device to give a contemporary feel to the distant future was that cigaret that kept appearing in Sigourney Weaver's mouth. I'm not sure I've ever seen her smoking before, not even in her Ripley gigs, where there were always smokers slouching about somewhere. There was also a kind of low-key sex joke there, in that she would emerge from her avatar link, arise from this gelatin-like bed where she was experiencing the sensual delights of being a limber and lithe 10-foot blue pussycat, and immediately request a smoke.

edit: OK, I think maybe she did smoke at some point in "Alien" -- something tickling at the memory there. Maybe when she was talking to the Nostromo's computer, aka "Mother."

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
I rather liked Avatar. It was pretty masterful stuff, and when you think that the actors did it all in a sound room or whatever - it is that much more impressive.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Saw Broadcast News for the first time and came away pretty impressed. The Holly Hunter character is interesting with two or three competing aspects. At times Hunter reminded me of Sally Fields.

Unusual for a film to focus so much on the guy who is close friends with the girl but unable to translate his feelings and their relationship into a romance. A good portrayal of the 80's Sensitive Male.

I guess I was out of the country when it was first released. In 1989, the law firm I was at was handling some business for Hurt -- his pre-nup I believe, and I found myself riding in an elevator with him. We had been instructed to ignore him, which was easy, because, not having seen Broadcast News, I only had a vague idea who he was anyway.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Broadcast News was good. I had forgotten about it. I liked Holly Hunter in everything I've seen her in. An under-appreciated actress.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I like Hunter a lot too, which is why I was surprised I'd never seen this early film of hers. She's the focal point of the film, and is always interesting. She was even supposed to be quite good in that Xmas film, Home for the Holidays.

Hmm, just looking over her career and I think I've only seen her previously in the two Coen movies, and she only has a small -- but wonderful -- part in O Brother. I guess I've just watched Raising Arizona enough times that she seems like a familiar actress.

I didn't realize that she's been doing teevee for the last bunch of years. How is Saving Grace? I've heard of it -- pretty sure I've seen the dvd's are around -- but know nothing about the show/concept/quality.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Gromit - Outside of the fact that Hunter plays a cop in "Saving Grace" I know nothing about it.

Re "Broadcast News": I remember liking it a lot with the exception of two quibbles. First, I found it almost impossible to believe that someone as stupid as Hurt's character could have risen so swiftly to a position of prominence in national network journalism. But that was in the late 80s and since then I've seen FOX News. Second, the ethical breach that angers Hunter's character so much at the end is something a savvy pro like her would have spotted instantly. But Hurt did have a great line about that when she accused him of crossing an ethical line. "It's hard NOT to cross it when they keep moving the little sucker!"

I loved that sly reference to the Albert Brooks directed movie (Modern Romance?) in which Brooks played a documentarian. Brooks and Robert Prosky were outside their office. A despondent Brooks says, "I want to be alone," and Prosky replies, "OK, I'll go with you," and they walk off together. Nice.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
... the ethical breach that angers Hunter's character so much at the end is something a savvy pro like her would have spotted instantly.

No, they covered that well, by Albert Brooks only finding out and later revealing to Hunter that it was only a one camera crew for the interview. Everyone just assumed that two cameras were used and the reaction shot was genuine and in the moment, as the editing presents it. Also Hunter admits at the time that it got to her emotionally, making it more likely that she wouldn't question it intellectually.

My complaint was why would she then show up at the airport to not go? A bunch about the airport scene(s) left me less than convinced, including Hurt's plastic bag luggage. I thought that was some of the film's weakest stuff, and there was an alternate ending where he gets in the cab with her and they argue and make up.

I liked the cute prologue with the kids. I didn't care much for the forced reunion in the epilogue, but understand the desire for symmetry.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
Earl--The Albert Brooks movie you were thinking of is Real Life. In Modern Romance (a much better movie, arguably Brooks's best) Brooks plays a Foley artist.
Earl
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Earl--The Albert Brooks movie you were thinking of is Real Life. In Modern Romance (a much better movie, arguably Brooks's best) Brooks plays a Foley artist.

Thanks, Billy. I should have looked it up, but I was tired, about to go to sleep and just wanted to get my reply in.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Earl wrote:
Gromit - Outside of the fact that Hunter plays a cop in "Saving Grace" I know nothing about it.

Re "Broadcast News": I remember liking it a lot with the exception of two quibbles. First, I found it almost impossible to believe that someone as stupid as Hurt's character could have risen so swiftly to a position of prominence in national network journalism. But that was in the late 80s and since then I've seen FOX News. Second, the ethical breach that angers Hunter's character so much at the end is something a savvy pro like her would have spotted instantly. But Hurt did have a great line about that when she accused him of crossing an ethical line. "It's hard NOT to cross it when they keep moving the little sucker!"

I loved that sly reference to the Albert Brooks directed movie (Modern Romance?) in which Brooks played a documentarian. Brooks and Robert Prosky were outside their office. A despondent Brooks says, "I want to be alone," and Prosky replies, "OK, I'll go with you," and they walk off together. Nice.
I believe Holly Hunter plays a cop Troubled by Personal Issues in Saving Grace, making it different from exactly no cop show of the last twenty years.

There's a similar "I'll go with you" line somewhere in Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Holly Hunter was excellent in Living Out Loud, a movie that I keep forgetting to put in my all time favourites list. Danny DeVito has never been better and Queen Latifah is a better actress than a singer.
gromit
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

As for "Ten Little Niggers," that was the original title of "Ten Little Indians," so blame Britain, or Agatha Christie, or someone, but not the makers of KHAC.

I just started reading Agatha Christie's autobio.
I've read about 6 pages so far.
Interestingly, she starts off writing during an archeological dig in then British Iraq.
Quote:

gromit--You must add Room at the Top to your Brit list if you haven't done so already, and the Alastair Sim A Christmas Carol, and several of the early Alec Guinness comedies, and...oh, don't get me started.

No, the whole point was to get people started.

I'd probably add Peeping Tom, maybe Powell&Pressburger's I Know Where I'm Going. Have to consider some Monty Python, likely Life of Brian. Lean's Great Expectations as well.

I've heard of Room at the Top, and some mention of it recently, maybe in connection with Lawrence Harvey in I Am A Camera (?)

I was just perusing this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_Top_100_British_films
There are a lot of highly regarded British films I don't like at all.