Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting that clip, Billy. I missed most of Gervais' opening remarks because of "The Simpsons" (and most of the rest of the show because of "Downton Abbey" on PBS). But the audience obviously seemed to be having a good time, and if some people were offended, they're probably in the minority (and also probably happy to get any kind of publicity). Johnny Depp looked rather amused at the comments about "The Tourist"--I doubt that he has any illusions about the quality of the film. (And like Gervais, I haven't seen it but was surprised to see it nominated, considering the lousy reviews. And the fact that it seemed to be neither a musical nor a comedy, unless the reviews were hiding some major plot twist.)
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
P.S. Just found a clip on the Huffington Post e-mail I get every day (they send out lots of e-mails, those folks), in which Gervais is telling Conan O'Brien that he didn't show any more of his opening monologue to the Globes committee after they refused to let him do the bit that he did run by them. He says he intended to come onstage in a Nazi uniform, salute the audience, then say "Wrong crowd" and take off the mustache, then add, "I should have known better than to borrow a suit from Mel Gibson."
Befade
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Gary.........please.......a speedy recovery! seeing Black Swan could bring on a setback for you.......wait til you're totally mended.......

Ricky G. was great. His irreverance is refreshing. poor Cher. poor Phillip Morris.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the warning Betsy. My bronchial pneumonia seems to have been conquered but the blockage in my ear persists regardless of my efforts to flush it out. I am going to a doctor this afternoon to have it taken care of. The whole ordeal has been as they say in Yiddish a furschlepte krank. (A drawn-out illness).

After neglecting to see The Tourist and not walking out on it, I almost died of boredom the two hours I didn't spend seeing it. A dreadful, flat, hollow, pretentious, pile of nothing that I was very glad to have missed. Phooey!

Last edited by marantzo on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually the Mel Gibson jokes are getting pretty tired, but I confess I still find Charlie Sheen jokes funny.
Befade
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote
and that happened on a Monday............

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
"as you do..."

I really love RG - he is a comic genius. I saw his stand up act a while back and it is inspired...ridiculously mean spirited and outrageously funny.

I also agree that Jonny Depp looked like he could handle it, but I gotta wonder about some of the others. It was cringeworthy at times, and marvelous because of it. Some hate him, not me.
Earl
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I just assumed that Gervais was hired for the specific purpose of going too far. Or, more accurately, giving the appearance of going too far. There is little doubt in my mind that he gave NBC and the GGs exactly what they wanted.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
It's a generalisation, but comedy tends to be crueller in the UK. And Ricky Gervais is crueller than most; he is an arch exponent of exposing human frailty and insecurity, at stripping our protective lies. His schtick is to state the obvious, to be the boy who says the emperor has no clothes. And lets face it, the HFPA is a naked starfucker. Though the HFPA may be regretting it now, they got what they paid for.

Though I like Ricky Gervais' stand-up routine, I'm not sure that his style is appropriate for a Hollywood event that is all about self-promotion and congratulation. The Golden Globes do not really have enough credit in the bank to be able to afford jokes at the expense of themselves and their guests. The HFPA didn't really think this through; unless I am doing them a disservice. Are they that cynical that they'd sacrifice their pride to be able muscle in at the water cooler.

Last edited by jeremy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the Globes ain't the Oscars. I think even the nominees are aware that it's all a hyped-up publicity event, and it's just a fun outing to mingle with stars in pretty clothes. And maybe give a hint to the probable winners of the actual Oscars.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Ricky Gervais can take it or leave it. Russell Brands similar antics at the MTV awards a few years ago didn't do his career any harm. However, I don't think Robert Downey Jr. did himself any favours. It demostrated a troubling lack of self-awareness to upbraid Ricky Gervais for his lack of reverence an then launch into a much less savoury discussion of the nominees for best actress. Given that he was experimenting with various substances from a very young age, would it be irresponisble to suggest, that this may have stalled his mental develpment. He said he was up for sharing a bed with all the nominess and alluded to the fact that he 'knew' one of them already. How old is he, 17?

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
daffy
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Loved Ricky, though I thought the God/atheist bit should have come earlier. (Truth be told, it's a line that should have been used at the Oscars or the Tonys, when every second winner thanks the almighty. I've quoted Durang on this before: "God is silent on the Holocaust, but he involves himself in The Tony Awards?!?! It doesn't seem very likely!!")

The Hefner line was an all-timer.

Jeremy: I thought Downey was just playing along with his talk of mean-spiritedness and that's why he felt he could go on to the later bit.

Whatever they say outwardly, I'm sure the GG people are loving the whole thing. People are still talking about the show, and probably will be for a few more days.

Gervais was hysterical on The Daily Show a few weeks back, talking about Stephen Hawking's voice-box. Talk about nothing being sacred.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
If the Golden Globe people are too stupid to sign Gervais up for next year, then they deserved to be roasting even more than they were because booking him for next year would get a HUGE rating. And isn't that exactly what they want.

The first time I remember seeing Gervais was in Ghost Town. That was good enough for me to become a solid fan. I'd probably seen him in some TV shows previous to that but didn't remember.
inlareviewer
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Staggering in after last night's over-extended coverage of the Gilded Globules, to see if the snack bar has any ginger ale:

Since this seems to be GG Central, here's colleague Mary McNamara's review of last night's telecast, which, generally, reflects the view of most Industry A-Listers, Movers and Shakers this morning -- and given the reactionary nature of the people atop this particular heap, it's zip chance that Mr. Gervais will be asked back next year.

L.A. Times/The Envelope/Television review: Golden Globes -- Host Ricky Gervais was too nasty

Personally, wasn't offended by Ricky, he did what he does (though quite a few jabs were Insider-skewed to the point of being oblique) -- but then, I'm not a Big Ticket Movie Star/Producer/Publicist/Etcera, am I? No, and The Globules (and the enterprises that benefit from their tacitly ersatz honors for 68 years) have been taking themselves more and more seriously these last few cycles, even as the show's Party Of The Year sobriquet would indicate just the opposite. However, the ratings were static, no higher or lower than last year, and that's the main thing for NBC and HFPA. Well, that, the God quip, which is really what's gotten the nattering a'natterfied, and his crack at HFPA President Berk, which is the Real Issue as far the organization is concerned. Anyhoo, between the Globules and the Critic's Choice awards, the Patterns in the Red Carpet are all but Set, with only the SAGGYs and other guild awards left to shore up/throw the odd note of uncertainty into what's already feeling A Done Deal -- last night's film winners are all but certain to repeat on February 27. Another reason the Blanches remain THE awards show on tap. Feel better soon, marantzo. Back to the grindstone for bleary-eyed me.

Dragging back out, opening the ginger ale en route so it can go flat.

Last edited by inlareviewer on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:06 am; edited 5 times in total