Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

shannon
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Welcome, Chris. Glad to see you 'round these parts.
lissa
Posted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
That's really sad to read. I think she has a great voice, and is obviously going through some sort of emotional breakdown.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Shocked IT'S SO MUCH BETTER ON HOLIDAY

Hey, all y'all! WOW, I come back to such a cool site. Thanks so much. I saw the mails in Europe, but didn't read. Excellent name. I actually had my 3rd eye open during a piano recital at the Berlin Philharmonie!

Lshap, Marc, and all our moderators (even in absentia), BIG PROPS! I've yet to figure out everything, but this seems remarkably functional, graphically pleasing and totally HOTT.

Warm vibes to all of you, the world is beautiful. Brownie, if you're reading, know that my thoughts are with you. Hope things pick up soon.

Shannon, drop my your snail-mail. Picked up a Kid Loco DJ Mix in Zurich that I think you'll love!

Peace out, I'm off to a roof party. Good to be back, I'll hit film and books soon. Oh, yeah, and actually make some music comments!
Marj
Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hi DJ,

So glad to see your here.

Quote:
I actually had my 3rd eye open during a piano recital at the Berlin Philharmonie!

Now THAT must have been something! When you return from your roof party, (I'm so jealous) please tell us about your experiences there?

Smiles ...
shannon
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
DEEEEEJ!

Glad to see you made it. One of my fav posters, man. I was hoping you hadn't been excluded for some ungodly reason.
censored-03
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
[/img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40b99573_11cc0/bc/McPartland2.jpg?bfMzZuABJCV9CSS2[img] This is a test

censored-03
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:24 am Reply with quote
That failed miserably

censored-03
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
[img]oofs.com/bc/40b99573_11cc0/bc/McPartland2.jpg?bfsYauABILeiCSS2[/img]

censored-03
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:36 am Reply with quote
[img] http://www.harlem.org/people/mcpartland.html [/img]

My wife "the expert" and I saw the legendary Marian McPartland last night at Birdland. Marj , ehle....the show was better than I even expected it to be. She is in fine form at 86! We were there early to have dinner and then catch the music. I got a chance to meet her when my wife met her in the powder room and told her I was a big fan and that I was an accomplished songwriter but would never say so. Marian actually waited for me while my wife fetched me, I hurried down to the bar to meet her. No shit! I said "Marian McPartland I've been a fan of yours since my sister introduced me to your music about 30 years ago. I also saw you on tv the other night." She said.."Oh ? On what" and I mentioned seeing her last week on PBS on a show where she mentioned that Duke Ellington had said to her.."You play a lot of notes" and I said "You said you thought he meant too many notes" Marian replied "Oh yeah, that did bother me some" and mumbled a bit then I said "I like the way you said that arthritis of all things has made you a better player , the way Duke would have preffered" and McPartland said "Oh yes".." I replied "the old less is more in music I guess"..she said "You know it..say you do know a bit about me don't you ?" and I said "only good things"...she smiled and said "I better get going now and get ready"..I said "Have a great show"..and it was.

At one point during the gig McPartland talked to the crowd about her beginnings in England when she was very young and she was invited to join a 4 piano pop-group and her father and mother balked at the idea, and her father even offered her a thousand pounds which Marian said was "a hell of a lot of money back then!" She said her mother sobbed " You'll end up living in an awful attic somewhere with some poor musician ! " and then McPartland said slyly "..and of course I did ! " which cracked-up the whole club. Then she asked for requests but stated in a stern and mocking way " No 'Honeysuckle Rose' or 'Mood Indigo'...and especially no Andrew Lloyd Webber !" at which point I joined a rather boisterous group in applauding extra hard! No offense to any of his fans.

I feel so happy to have seen one of the last of the real innovators of 20th Century jazz. Marian McPartland is the real thing !

billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:28 am Reply with quote
Wow! What an experience that must have been! Must confess I would have thought McPartland was no longer with us if I had been asked. She is one of the greats. And to hear that she's still keeping on trucking is truly inspiring. You're lucky to have been there. Thanks for sharing it.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:31 am Reply with quote
censored-03 wrote:
[img] http://www.harlem.org/people/mcpartland.html [/img]

...and especially no Andrew Lloyd Webber !" at which point I joined a rather boisterous group in applauding extra hard! No offense to any of his fans.

Bravo, Censored! We need more outright booing of Andrew Lloyd Webber. What a troll. But at least he's handsome. Twisted Evil

You're an accomplished songwriter? Tell more, more, more.
djmnyc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Thanks, Shannon, Marj, and so many others I've been thinking of... I dunno, Marj, it was just your average trip to Europe during the springtime, with two iPods to sweeten the pot. Flowers everywhere, a few of Fredick the Great's summer palaces, the still-healing and self-re-inventing Berlin, the cute and charming Zurich with its cafe Odeon, and the incredibly mercurial and volatilely beautiful Venice. Seeing a world of history and hopping around on a bicycle really renewed my sense of wonder, and has refreshed my eye for NY. Especially given that I was welcomed back with all the tenderness that my hosts in Europe showed. In addition to the piano recital, I saw an extremely well-equipped orchestra doing Shostakovich's 2nd Violin Concerto, which featured a full-length standing performance by the concertmaster, and Holst's The Planets, which was just amazingly dynamic. I was like a kid in a candy store, and not just because of all the chocolate. I've been steamrolled by beauty and sadness; Berlin in particular blew my mind--it's so vital and immediate, along with its display of the last 70 years of nearly unbearable heartbreak, its got an even denser and more storied history than I'd have guessed...
ehle64
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Ahoy deej!

Welcome home, your trip sounded absolutely smashing!!
Marc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Welcome macca.
Marj
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Censored,

Thank You. I read the post of your evening in apt fascination. What a night this must have been?

Btw, I didn't know you composed. What kind of music do you write?

Does Marian McPartland still have her show on WBGO? For Billy and others who appreciate artists like her, her show was a sumptious treat. She played some and then usally had a guest of some caliber to discuss and play music.

It was always wonderful.

DJ,

I was enthralled by your adventures in Berlin. I must admit to being a tad envious as well. But I know what you mean about it "refeshing your eye for NY." When I was in London, I thought I'd hate returning to NY. Instead it renewed my love of architecture and for weeks I wondered the city, just to drink in what I'd taken for granted before.

Just your average trip to Europe, indeed!