Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
IMO Two Weeks Notice is the very epitome of a terrible romcom. Bullock and Grant have zilch chemistry and the story is lame and farfetched in the extreme. I loathed it.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
IMO Two Weeks Notice is the very epitome of a terrible romcom. Bullock and Grant have zilch chemistry and the story is lame and farfetched in the extreme. I loathed it.
I didn't loathe it, because it isn't worth loathing. I saw it and recall absolutely nothing about it except the main stars and, vaguely, its premise. Utterly forgetable in every detail, and so utterly forgotten.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
I didn't loathe it, because it isn't worth loathing. I saw it and recall absolutely nothing about it except the main stars and, vaguely, its premise. Utterly forgetable in every detail, and so utterly forgotten.

Whiskey is closer to the truth about TWN. I worked on the movie (as an extra) and still recall the lousy food and more-curt-than-usual treatment. This affects my attitude.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Great. Now I have to see it again, and look for you.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
Jeremy,
I'd say it was the perfect time to crack out some longass serious film, such as The Human Condition or Satantango or Berlin Alexanderplatz. Even the new Assayas film Carlos runs 5 1/2 hours in its extended form. Or yearning for the warmth and charm of Olde Albion, you could try the 5 hour The Red Riding Trilogy.
Then again, the other night I cued up the 8 hour Our Hitler, fully expecting to knock off the first 2 parts (of 4) and promptly fell asleep 8 minutes in. Barely outlasted the credit sequence.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Don't forget Dekalog, which is ten hours in digestible hour-long segments.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Great. Now I have to see it again, and look for you.

No you don't. I was in the longest of long shots and completely invisible if there at all. I'm delighted not to be implicated in that totally lame flick.

How well I remember hiding from the camera when I did extra work on Batman Forever, which I could tell from the atmosphere on set--the icy relationship between Joel Schumacher and Tommy Lee Jones was obvious from a mile away--was going to be a huge turkey. (I was right in spades.)
bartist
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Contrasts sharply with my experience as extra on the set of Terms of Endearment: offering to strip down to my underpants and dance to Bob Seger with a broom, "Risky Business" style, following Debra Winger around and repeatedly sniffing her hair, wrestling matches with security goons, jumping into the frame and yelling "boo-yah!" and generally reaching for that first rung on the ladder to fame. Jeff Daniels did walk over to where they were cuffing me and called me "a world-class asshole," so...pretty darn close.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
My most interesting experience as an extra was my very first, on the forgettable romcom John and Mary, which I shot for four all-nighters in the late 60s. I was chosen to stand right next to Dustin Hoffman in the classic (not) singles-bar sequence since I was the only man short enough not to dwarf the pint-sized Hoffman. Anyway, somewhere during the four nights, Mia Farrow got very chummy with me and, fueled by non-stop white-wine guzzling by her and beer by me (we all got real alcohol), spilled a whole lotta stuff about how boring her marriage to Sinatra was.
Marj
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Billy -Having seen John and Mary numerous times since you told us what scene you were in, I think I saw you. Please tell us if you were wearing a greenish-yellow turtleneck?

Some catching up: Saw The Kids Are All Right and agree with most everyone here on that. So I don't have much to add, other than if I had any complaints it would be a bit of predictability, which seemed to make up for itself by the end.

Now, Inception. OMG. Where to begin? I find it interesting that I almost turned it off at that 35 minute mark where Marc and Mirgun walked out. The thing is I kind of like Christopher Nolan and since I was at home and could stop and start it, I did.

But it was terrible. I can see Mitty's point about seeing it a few times in order to really 'get it' but even now with a big screen, I couldn't wait for it to be over. And what a shame with so many really great actors.

Here's the deal as I see it. Inception stops every so often to explain what's going on, hence the necessity for the Ellen Page character. But once it's explained we then have to watch the explanation! Am I making any sense?

One last complaint: the wall to wall scoring. Sheesh. One compliment: it was visually arresting. That's it.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Billy -Having seen John and Mary numerous times since you told us what scene you were in, I think I saw you. Please tell us if you were wearing a greenish-yellow turtleneck?

I would call the turtleneck "yellow" rather than "greenish-yellow," but it sounds like you got the right guy. Dig the smoking and drinking; that hasn't happened for decades now.
Marj
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Marj wrote:

I would call the turtleneck "yellow" rather than "greenish-yellow," but it sounds like you got the right guy. Dig the smoking and drinking; that hasn't happened for decades now.

YES! Finally. And yes, I know the other - smoking and drinking, is a thing of the past.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Mirgun had a perfectly good review of Exit through the Gift Shop here http://www.thirdeyefilm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4&start=35858 and I don't have that much to add to it. I get the feeling that Thierry Guetta is a practical joke on the art world; his art is, frankly, bad. I enjoyed seeing a lot of Banksy's own graffiti art here, in particular his work on the wall in Israel and a couple of pictures he put up in art galleries. And the elephant, of course.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked the film, but got distracted a bit by the shadowy Banksy with the disguised voice.

An interview with Banksy.
http://edendale.typepad.com/weblog/2010/12/banksy-yes-banksy-on-thierry-exit-skepticism-documentary-filmmaking-as-punk.html
He claims it's all real.
Though it seemed to me to be one of those things that becomes real, even if it had an artificial to start.

A funny quote on his anonymity:
Quote:
My inability to go around schmoozing people might have hurt the film on one level, but on another level I’m a volatile drunk and it’s probably been an enormous blessing.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
Marj,
Criterion recently released 5 Allan King docs on their eclipse label. While a couple of those old people dying and seniling in the hospital are tough watches, one doc int he set is Come On Children, a 1972 film revolving around the simple idea of putting 10 teenagers in a farmhouse and filming their lives.
Wonder if that concept could be transferred to TeeVee?
Maybe I can steal it and make millions.

It's interesting, and the one kid, John Hamilton, steals the show with his Bob Dylan based personality.
(Oddly, last night I just watched another film, Kisses from Ireland, which had a big Bob Dylan component.

Last edited by gromit on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total