Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

pedersencr
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:01 am Reply with quote
censored,

I think the posts stand as written, without providing factual basis for the exceptions you seem to take with them.

Charles
censored-03
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
ishap

You're a good guy! I think I wrote that about word nazis before you even posted you amusing remark. I just think words are cool and I like to curse...I'm sometimes a curmudgeon and what would I do without the 7 beautiful words in our spacious language ? Sheeeiiiitt !

pedersencr
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:15 am Reply with quote
censored,
There is an answer to that question that I am very old fashioned enough to have been brought up with.

I won't offer it, however, first because I would probably be giggled right out of the forum Smile and second because I have the feeling your question is more rhetorical than malicious.

Looking forward to hearing some really colorful cursing from you,
Charles
djmnyc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 May 2004 Posts: 10 Location: New York/Costa Rica/Private Idaho
Hmmmm. The way I hold doors open without being a condescending asshole is by doing it for everyone, not just women...
bocce
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:01 am Reply with quote
alexb38b - 11:04 PM ET May 29, 2004 (#315 of 316)

Selfish Vs The Day After Tomorrow

I believe anyone in this plaint understand we have a problem on hand. But people in different position and different situation will behave differently.
If you remember a scene in "Titanic", those people refused to go back were those already in lifeboats. But in this matter is anyone really in lifeboat?

coniraya - 10:52 AM ET May 30, 2004 (#316 of 316)
words die gletscher schmelzen - wie lange noch Liebe machen_ Schatz =?

ask modrator if go and so. not a place to do this
Melody
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quote
Couple of things....

I hold the door for ANYone who happens to be behind me. This seems common courtesy and a show of respect to my fellow human beings. Or maybe it's just a southern thing, I don't know. I never experienced what I consider rudeness with not holding the door the times I've been to NYC, but when I was at a restaurant near the Grand Canyon several years ago and then later at Monument Valley, I repeatedly had doors slammed in my face by men who happened to be foreigners.

Lissa,

As for the C word, I know where you're at. But ever since I started watching Deadwood and listened to Ian McShane use the word (although he much prefers "cocksucker" and says it with more gusto than anyone on the planet) and then Keith Carradine's Wild Bill Hickock describe his cowardly future killer as having a "c__t mouth" -- well, somehow that word has lost some of its charge for me. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd never use it in conversation and can't think of anyone I'd hurl it at (okay, maybe one).

And I'll say this, too: Lissa expressed her dislike of the word. She wouldn't have said anything if she didn't feel strongly about it. I think we should take her feelings into consideration. Ain't got a thing to do with equality, either -- has to do with respect.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I think we're enjoyng being able to discuss words that we were unable to talk about in the NY Times forum. I think this is a healthy debate. Its amazing that certain sex slang words still have the power to upset people. Its interesting to examine that. In language there's a thin between sex and violence...and sometimes no line at all. The fact that we use sexual terms to insult each other says something about our collective dysfunction when it comes to sex.
Marc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:01 pm Reply with quote
"It's S-M-E-G-M-A. No Yiddish stuff to muddy the waters. "

Billy, I did not intend to muddy the waters with smegma.
marantzo
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
First of all let me state that there are words that grate on me. And they aren't neccessarily swear words. I don't expect anyone to stop using them because they offend my sense of whatever (I'm not even sure why some words rub me the wrong way, but it may the sound or something that they dredge up in my past, they just don't soung good to me.)

I don't think it is reasonable for anyone to take offense at the use of a word if it is not directed at them.

Kinky Freidman is running for Governor of Texas on a platform of De-Wimpifying Texas. I think that there is a danger with some of the suggestions here that we will wimpify this forum. Or sissify, if you will.

Billy's absolutely right about the Yiddishifying (now there's a word) of 'smegma'. It's ridiculous as Jews don't even know what smegma is.
Marc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
words that really piss me off:

closure, networking, politically correct, mindset, postmodern,
smegma...
marantzo
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I hold the door for men and women if they are behind me. I've noticed that some women don't even give a perfunctory 'thanks'. A few days ago i was leaving a building as a women was coming in and she held the door for me. I said, "Thanks. Feminism at work."
lissa
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Not being armed with pepper spray and mace, I wasn't going to post till Mel did, and to her, I say (besides thanks for being the sole female voice among the most recent posts) thank you for understanding that I'm not asking this place to censor itself. You're all enjoying the freedom to swear, and hey, go to town. I expressed one very strong feeling over one very offensive word (to me) and that's all. It has nothing to do with the dichotomy of equality between men and women and how I need my doors opened for me (I don't - I, like Mel, open the door for others, of both genders), or how I want to be a soldier too, or any of those arguments men seem to take very personally when women express their desire (and ability) to join them in ANY venture they undertake. Pretty interesting how, when a woman expresses a view, she becomes a bra-burning, ball-busting butch feminist demanding equality along with her glass slippers but instead ends up getting flipped off by the male of the species. Something about women being equal bother you guys? Nothing in my post was about equality between the sexes, it was about one word. That's it. And I never said it's acceptable to use the male epithets either, I just tend to tame my language a little more than others. Maybe it's my kids and the fact that I want to set an example for them. Whatever it is, it's me, and I'm not asking anyone to become me. Yeah, I know, you're all so relieved.

FYI - I actually DON'T have a problem with "bitch", which is sad, as it's become commonplace to use. But hell, I'll brag on my bitchiness when it's warranted.

Never asked you boys to censor yourselves on my account, I simply expressed it in hopes that maybe there is a gentleman among you. Charles, I never doubted you'd be the one.

Now, till the testosterone smell is outta here, I'll take myself out to the park and enjoy the ducks.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
"ball busting". ooh, theres a phrase I don't like.

" in hopes that maybe there is a gentleman among you."

Lissa,
is openly discussing and debating the use of certain words ungentlemanly?
It might have been ungentlemanly if someone had called you the c-word.
I don't see how taking your comments seriously enough to discuss them is ungentlemanly.

"Now, till the testosterone smell is outta here."

what does open discussion have to do with testosterone. thats a cheap shot and an example of reverse sexism.
Marc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
some more words that creep me out:

toejam, cyst, upchuck, hershey squirt, fungus, pus....

okay okay, I'll stop.
Marc
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
there are many words that offend and disturb. Not all are sexual in nature. But, many are related to bodily functions. Its an interesting reflection on how out of touch man/woman has become with his/her own flesh. So, essentially I agree with Lissa's being offended by the the use of the word "cunt" as an insult. I have tried to stop using sexual words as insults. The phrase I have had most difficulty eliminating is "fuck you". It is probably the ultimate example of a phrase that, when used as an insult, symbolizes how sex and violence are linked. It also represents a certain revulsion toward the act of making love. If we were fucking more, we would be "fuck youing" less?