Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I'm a John Sebastian fan. He wrote the great Summer in the City and Darlin' Be Home Soon. I wouldn't recognize him today unless he still had the same old huge sideburns form 40 years back.

Trivia: What Sebastian composition was used as a Tv theme song? and which was featured in a movie?
Hint: lots of NYC connections.

TV theme was one of the all-time best TV themes, "Welcome Back (Kotter)."
knox
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
I was going to chime in on Kotter, but I see both Bart and Billy beat me to it. I'm making a sound like grinding corn trying to think of the movie....

....was it "Summer in the City" ? I think it was used in the Wim Wenders film of the same title?
knox
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess not, given the hint "NYC connections" -- how about "Do You Believe in Magic," which was used in "In America" ??

Great songwriter.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Gabe Kaplan and I played Baccarat at the same table a number of times at the Aladdin in Las Vegas. We would exchange comic put downs during these sessions. I think I held my own. Smile One time I was at the table and he walked by. When he saw that I had a bet going he called out, "Put five hundred on the bank for me, Gary can't win." He was right. He won and I lost. My bet was substantially less.

Am I scraping the bottom of the barrel here?
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
One of my favourite Sebastian songs is "How Have You Been?"
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I once served Michael Moore a beef and cheddar at the Miller Road Arby's.... that's all I got. I feel so fucking lame.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
My father knew Roger Ebert when he was working for a newspaper in Peoria and Roger was over in Champagne-Urbana, getting his career started. He came by for dinner when I was 3 years old, and I'm afraid I remember nothing of the evening.

Later, in Wichita, when Alan Ginsberg read at The Vortex, my uncle and parents invited him and Peter Orlovsky over for drinks afterwards, and they spent a couple hours at the house, with me being told to go to bed several times before I complied. My uncle handed Alan an essay I had written about my parents, with me pretending to be a secret agent (I think the McGoohan series was on, at that time) filing some kind of report on their sinister doings. Alan read it aloud and had hysterics. So, you all can have all your celebrity moments, I freaking made Alan Ginsberg laugh like a hyena.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Great story. I'd like to have made Ginsberg laugh. I'd rather have given Gregory Corso an orgasm, but making Ginsberg laugh would have been good, too.

-Topher
Kate
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
When I was 16, a guest came to the door, Robert Redford. He wanted my stepfather to write a screenplay about Alaska. My SF did not tell us he was coming, so I was in my pj's looking less than spectacular. I was mortified. He was very nice, very warm and down to earth. And much shorter than I had thought.
Kate
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Kate wrote:
When I was 16, a guest came to the door, Robert Redford. He wanted my stepfather to write a screenplay about Alaska. My SF did not tell us he was coming, so I was in my pj's looking less than spectacular. I was mortified. He was very nice, very warm and down to earth. And much shorter than I had thought.

This post should be in the lobby and the lobby post should be in here. All topsy turvy.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The weirdest "shorter than I expected" story I have is seeing Tom Wopat of stage and The Dukes of Hazzard at a pool hall in Houston. He's really short, like Tom Cruise short, but his features aren't comparably small-sized. He looks like big guy except for the length of his legs. Odd.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:
I'm a John Sebastian fan. He wrote the great Summer in the City and Darlin' Be Home Soon. I wouldn't recognize him today unless he still had the same old huge sideburns form 40 years back.

Trivia: What Sebastian composition was used as a Tv theme song? and which was featured in a movie?
Hint: lots of NYC connections.

TV theme was one of the all-time best TV themes, "Welcome Back (Kotter)."

The Lovin' Spoonful did the title song to "You're a Big Boy Now."

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I liked that song (and that movie). But they suck in What's Up, Tiger Lily?

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I liked that song (and that movie). But they suck in What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Turns out the Lovion' Spoonful did the theme song for 3 films I think.
But actually that goofy early Woody Allen was the film I was thinking of. The theme song is Pow, with the immortal lyrics:

"I'm always the guy with his fingers up his nose when the passport picture gets taken."

You wouldn't believe how many photos I've only managed to endure because that was running through my head.

John Sebastian had a good sense of humor and was able to translate it into song. I'm partial to Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind? (say yes to one and leave the other behind).

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Summer In The City was a favourite of mine.