Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've been finding sadistic serial killers in fantasy series to be boring after maybe one volume. I ran into one in Tad Williams Otherland, one in Michael Stackpole's Cartomancy series, a whole bunch of sexual sadists in the "Wild Cards" series. and the Emperor Jajang in Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. Jajang lasts for about six books and wore out his welcome after less than one.

Darken Rahl was an exception. He was actually interesting, and got his comeuppance after a reasonable amount of time.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I know no one (maybe Sydhe?) has been a Grey's fan in here, but their season finale was packed full of actor's dreams come true moments -- especially Chandra Wilson's. She deserves awards for that one episode alone and she and Sandra Oh, and "Kallie" (so sorry I can't remember yer name, Sara? Ramirez??) keeps me coming back weekly.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I know no one (maybe Sydhe?) has been a Grey's fan in here, but their season finale was packed full of actor's dreams come true moments -- especially Chandra Wilson's. She deserves awards for that one episode alone and she and Sandra Oh, and "Kallie" (so sorry I can't remember yer name, Sara? Ramirez??) keeps me coming back weekly.

Darn right I'm a fan, and that was an excellent season finale. I was half expecting a cliffhanger and I'm glad it wasn't. I really like Callie Torrez (yes it's Sara Ramirez of Spamalot fame) and Arizona Robbins (Jessica Capshaw). Two of the best actresses on TV today. I've been addicted since season one, and I love that the show has had several major cast changes, gotten rid of a major soap opera plot (Meredith and Derek got married and are quite happy outside of season finales), and is often better in a different way.

I also finally know who Mandy Moore is. (The patient with the colostomy who was forced by circumstances to be Bailey's assistant.) She's not bad at all.

But there is a major flaw: Chyler Leigh (Lexie) is a hell of a lot sexier as a brunette.

Last edited by Syd on Sun May 23, 2010 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
One of the reasons I like Grey's Anatomy: A couple of seasons ago, Derek Shepherd suffered a crisis of confidence, part of which was he went over his case files, which showed he'd lost a majority of his patients in complex surgeries.

The reason, of course, was that Derek Shepherd was the doctor you called in the most hopeless neurological cases, because he was the only surgeon who gave you a chance of survival. Under the circumstances, his success rate was a triumph. (His success rate on the series is more like 95%.)

It was a bit of a coincidence that he used to be married to the most brilliant neonatal surgeon on the face of the Earth.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
24 SPOILER AHEAD

Terrific "24" finale. I laughed, I cried. (Okay, I'll admit I laughed when Jack bit the guy's ear off.) Great ending. And knowing Jack's still out there, somewhere, makes the world seem safer.....
billyweeds
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
I agree with carrobin. Also about the laughing part. Great performance by Cherry Jones, btw.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
The Good Wife closed its season with another good episode (and another guest stint by my man Gary Cole), but really blew it in the closing scene. That cell phone bit was one of the most unconvincing plot turns I have seen in a long time. In the real world, Alicia would have turned off her cell phone, and in any case would have waited to take Will's call until after Peter's stint on the podum was over. Instead we get to see her conflict in detail and in a jaw-droppingly nonsensical way. This was an egregious writer's gaffe in an otherwise almost flawless season of great writing.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
I agree Billy. When I saw that closing scene said, "Oh pullease!" out loud. It was a good episode and I can't imagine who thought that C grade soap opera ending was a good idea. Per my complaint before, I think they are downgrading Alicia's character and starting to make her look like a self centred beeach instead of the admirable, sensible and sensitive character she had been. Her husband is starting to look like he's not so much of a villain in their relationship.

Just as a personal aside, the guy who is pursuing her is a creep. When I was divorced and moved back to Winnipeg and on the loose Smile there were a number of married women that I had I'd been just friends with or dated growing up who were pretty open about striking up a relationship. They were married, and seemingly unhappy with their husbands. I knew their husbands quite well and I found their wives' actions disturbing. I made it clear to them what I thought. I think any guy who hounds after a married woman, especially if he knows the husband, is a creep of the first order.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
I suppose in support of the show, I need to say something to support the ending. While I too, was surprised the Will called again, Alica has to have her cell phone on because of her job. And in support of her, I did like how she called Will out on his so-called "plans." I don't remember her exact words but in her earlier cell phone conversation with him, instead of sounding like an empty headed woman looking for some romance, she said quite clearly that romance wasn't enough - if he were serious, he had to have a plan or something to that effect.

But I agree with you both that the second call was silly. Will had to know where she was, and unless it was urgent there was no reason for that call. But Gary, she has shown time and again that she is a far more loyal and responsible woman than you give her credit for. And considering everything her husband has put her through, she is entitled to begin looking.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
He seems to have repented for putting her through all that and unless he is just a schemer, he seems to be earnest in his attempt to patch up their marriage and behave like a mensch. Maybe not.

Quote:
...she is entitled to begin looking.

A decent person would get a divorce first.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
You're right Gary. But you're naive if you think that married women don't look. It's the old adage: look but don't touch.

I admire any man or woman in a relationship, married or just committed who has no need to look at another man or woman. Alica has the need. But she isn't acting on it. Ya gotta give her credit for that!
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
She's not really looking. She's known this guy for a long time and it's not looking but trying to make a decision if should hook up with him. You would think that she would tell whatshisname that as long as her husband and her are trying to put their family back together she isn't interested in his advances.

Another thing that is troubling about her actions is that her portrayal of a caring mother, she puts her desires ahead of what might be devastating to her children.

Let's be honest here. This story line is tailored for women. They tend to sympathize with women acting in this manner, but are disgusted when a man acts in a similar way.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
You make some good points, Gary. And I can't argue them only to say, I've never seen a movie or TV show in which a woman in her particular situation appears to be handling it, and her needs as well as this woman is.

Maybe I am speaking from a woman's perspective, but I think she is thinking about her children and her marriage. I think that's why she allowed Peter back into her home when he was on house arrest. I don't know if she still loves him - that remains to be seen. She did, however, make it quite clear to him, how deeply hurt she was.

And again, perhaps speaking from a woman's perspective, I think she made it clear last night, that while she may have some romantic feelings towards Will, she is not is not interested in furthering that relationship.

One last thing, Gary. Children are usually happiest when their parents are happy. And most children know the difference. Right now, these parents are trying hard to put on happy faces, but we don't know how this is going to resolve itself.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Marj, if she decides to divorce her husband, that's fine, but I think if she takes up with Will, I'll lose a lot of respect for her because I think he's a puke. Laughing
Marj
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
LOL!!!