Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Theatre

globear1950
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Apr 2010 Posts: 5 Location: Hartney Manitoba Canada
back from NYC...just had time to see Jersey Boys...wonderful, a packed house and I did go back in time. Did not know the story of the group. Would have loved to see South Pacific but time did not allow...never enough time to see all that you would love to see...can't wait for the next trip. Had a "NY experience" in a cab along with the NYPD...they are portrayed well in the movies!

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I've heard Jersey Boys is a lot of fun. And I'm sorry you ran out of time, Gloria but can you tell us about your taxi cab experience? I've lived here most of my adult life and have never had one that included the NYPD.
ehle64
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen "Next Fall"? I'm dying to see it but can't afford anything near a movie ticket let alone a Bway show ticket @ the mo.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as you Wade. In the past, I tried to see at least on show a year. But I didn't last year and I won't this year either. But I'll see what I can find out about, Next Fall.
Marj
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Wade, here's some info on Next Fall. It appears to be garnering a lot of praise.

http://www.nextfallbroadway.com/new/news
globear1950
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Apr 2010 Posts: 5 Location: Hartney Manitoba Canada
Marj wrote:
I've heard Jersey Boys is a lot of fun. And I'm sorry you ran out of time, Gloria but can you tell us about your taxi cab experience? I've lived here most of my adult life and have never had one that included the NYPD.

We were stopped by a plain clothes officer and his partner in an unmarked car. They had issues with the cabbies license and something else?
We bailed and hailed another cab...

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Very intriguing!
carrobin
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Saw "Red" on Friday night, with my friend (a graphic artist-turned-freelance proofreader) who has spent the past six months in South Carolina and was feeling "culturally starved." Excellent play, excellent performances. Billy, you'd be perfect as Rothko.

The only problem was my friend--his hearing aid emitted a persistent whine throughout. I couldn't tell him because he couldn't hear me when I tried to whisper to him (and there's no intermission). I told him afterward, and he said oh, that's just feedback from the battery. So I had to tell him that I couldn't see any more plays with him if he was going to be wearing it. (And he's the type who would go nuts if someone else was making that kind of noise in the theater.) Has anyone else heard of this kind of problem?
Marj
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
No, Carol. But it kind of stands to reason that this could happen.

At least your friend is wearing a hearing aid. I have one friend who's too vain. So you spend the entire time your with him, yelling. Very frustrating.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
He doesn't wear his hearing aid all the time, but he has trouble hearing dialogue on the stage, and evidently the theater's earphones weren't adequate. (In SC over the holiday weekend, I had dinner at a restaurant with him, his sister, and my mother; I was sitting between him and my mother and neither could hear the other one, so both were carrying on conversations with me without realizing that the other was also talking. Very confusing.)
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes people with hearing aids don't realize the problem. A very good professor at my undergrad school had terrible hearing and wore two hearing aids. And sometimes they'd start making sounds, and we'd just ignore it and pretend it wasn't happening, even outside of class. Sometimes he'd catch on and say "Oh, excuse me" and take off. But I don't think he wanted us to let him know, because he was very self-conscious about even wearing them.(I don't think he should have been, and we had tremendous respect for him. But I've never had his experience, so I don't know how I'd react under the circumstances.)

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Carol! Red won the Tony for best play. I figured if you didn't see the show, you'd like to know.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I saw The Tonys--pretty good show, all things considered. And I was wondering, how come so many Broadway performers are British? I didn't even realize Eddie Redmayne was English. Should have read my Playbill. (He sounded perfectly American in the play.)
Marj
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I can give you a good answer. But I expect some of it has to do with some shows starting out in the West End.

Of course the same could be said about movies. I think the British are, generally speaking, much better with American accents then we are with British, save a few. Of course in the end, I think the best person for the role ought to get the part.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hugh Jackman and Hugh Laurie are pariticularly good. Maybe it's not about being British but about being named Hugh?

-Topher