Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Montreal wins 5-2. The crowd at Le Cage aux Sports must be going crazy.
Marc
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
oops.

Last edited by Marc on Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lshap
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
marantzo wrote:
Montreal wins 5-2. The crowd at Le Cage aux Sports must be going crazy.

Thanks Gary!

The most compelling stories in any medium are the underdog kind, the ones where the unlikely shlep goes from zero to hero and wins redemption. That's what Montreal's experiencing en masse with their hockey team right now. Yeah, decades ago we were the league's powerhouse, winning as many championships as the Yankees in baseball. No more. The past 17 years have been an endless series of dashed expectations and early playoff exits. We were this year's zero-chance-to-win afterthought, a last-second playoff team not even considered a credible underdog.

Especially when we had to face the best team in the league, Washington. We'll be gone in four or five games, right? But wait a minute... holy shit...we beat them in seven games. Next up: last year's championship-winning team, Pittsburgh. Impossible! But wait - we just won the seventh and final game last night.

It's Rocky vs. Apollo. It's a great story that's as much to fun to watch on ice as it is to talk about over beer. There are Montreal Canadiens flags flying everywhere, Montreal Canadiens sweaters being worn over suits and Montreal Canadiens trivia being discussed on every radio station and in every newspaper.

It's a city-wide party in a city famous for parties, and it's a fucking blast for as long as it lasts.
lshap
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal

Facebook says the page can't be found.
mirgun
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote

aaaaww I sent it to my mom..she loved it..and I need a decent haircut

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Lorne, when I wrote my first post about the game, it was 3-0, but I checked back to the site to see what part of the period it was and bingo, it was 4-0. I watched the third period on my computer. I couldn't relax at all until they scored their 5th goal. They showed the crowd in the arena in Montreal and the thousands of people in the street celebrating. I love Montreal. And it's not expensive. Very Happy I stay at the Hotel de la Montaigne and always paid less than $100 a night. Great hotel.
knox
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks for a nice visit. Amazing film savvy here and a very close-knit group of regulars. My best to you all.
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Knox, are you leaving or something? And if you are, why?
knox
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
No real explanation -- and if I came up with one, it would the type that benefits neither the explainer nor the explainee. Just not a good fit? Peace.
Marc
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a very close-knit group of regulars

Knox, too close knit?
Marj
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Knox - I'm on late today. But as a semi-regular, and only that because I'm so far behind with my movies this year, I've really enjoyed what you've brought to the party. Please tell us what's going on. Perhaps we can help.
ehle64
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I lurk occassionally, very rarely actually -- weening(?)

Marc -- even though I've had my problems with you in the recent past, I find it ridiculous to consider that someone has that much venom towards you. It's almost self-aggrandizing to think so, but -- hmmm -- consider the source. Coincedences do occur. Often at a rate that is highly unexplainable.

Before I even got to that "drama" about banning your other video, I went to watch your new version of your biggest hit. I don't get it. Would the dude that wrote that song when he wrote it make the same video then? That's all I could think about. Breasts and any form of human nudity is so NOT offensive to me, I find it absolutely beautiful, stirring and sometimes mystifying. Why someone would deny your song to be heard and viewed because of that is beyond me. Why a video about 44 women is steeped in one or two particular cultures is another thing.

I wish you the best of success with your future endeavors and have massive interest in knowing whether or not you'll actually get what it is you're trying to preach. Best of luck.

Hi to everyone else I haven't said hi to in a long time and a thanks to gromit for reminding me of Mary & Max -- freaking brill flicka mate.

Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's almost self-aggrandizing to think so, but -- hmmm -- consider the source.

Just had to get that dig in you, didn't you?

Quote:
I wish you the best of success with your future endeavors and have massive interest in knowing whether or not you'll actually get what it is you're trying to preach. Best of luck.

Thanks Wade. Though, I'm confused about the preaching part. I write songs, not sermons.

Quote:

Would the dude that wrote that song when he wrote it make the same video then?

I doubt it. I would have probably done something more obvious, like all the other "88 Lines" videos on youtube, you know, a compilation of photos of women. Instead, I tried to do something unexpected, basically working up from the rhythm to the image.

Quote:
I find it ridiculous to consider that someone has that much venom towards you.

Maybe they actually were offended by the video. I'm rather certain it's flagging is connected to it's being linked to Third Eye. I hope to find out soon. Not to exact revenge or anything petty like that, I would just like to find out the source of the problem so as to avoid running into the problem again and having my youtube page permanently disabled.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Ehle to the extent that we call them coincidences for reason. "The timing of X is too close be a coincidence" has become a common term, yet that's exactly what a coincidence is: an accident in timing between events that seems too perfectly placed to be accidental...yet is.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I agree with Ehle to the extent that we call them coincidences for reason. "The timing of X is too close be a coincidence" has become a common term, yet that's exactly what a coincidence is: an accident in timing between events that seems too perfectly placed to be accidental...yet is.

I posted earlier -- want to say this again -- that anyone who goes online in a PC lab or at a work computer, i.e. anything on a network with filters and an administrator who potentially monitors websites visited, could have innocently clicked on Marc's fine video and sent the URL into a cache where a zealot/prude of an admin. could find it and flag it.

For that reason, I'm going to wait and view any future linked videos from a private PC.