Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Befade
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Amelia was a waste of time. I loved Mira Nair's The Namesake.......but Hillary Swank in flight was not a beautiful bird. Was she trying to talk like a 30's or 40's movie star? Was she supposed to seem sexy? Was she trying to look like Mia Farrow?

The only scenes I liked were of the planes going into the sky or over the landscape. What was the point?

I watched it because I thought there would be more about Lindbergh. A movie should be made about him.........The guy was a white supremist, a friend to Nazis, and a polygamist.

Gary......You might like Philip Roth's The Plot against America. It imagines how a Lindbergh presidency would affect his Jewish family in Newark. The man who ran the local movie theatre took off for Winnipeg.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gary......You might like Philip Roth's The Plot against America. It imagines how a Lindbergh presidency would affect his Jewish family in Newark. The man who ran the local movie theatre took off for Winnipeg.

That's funny. Of course Winnipeg has always been a left leaning city. We had a lot of movie houses also.
grace
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:

Are they making it into a movie, or do you speak of the book? (which I liked very much)
gromit
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately the DvD of Seraphine here is sans English subs.

There was a recent article about outsider artist Vollis Simpson.

There's also the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Phoebe in Wonderland starts off like it's going to be a sweet children's picture but gets progressively more troubling until it's very disturbing indeed.

Phoebe (Elle Fanning) is a nine-year-old girl who is starting to have troubling mental symptoms that are disturbing her parents and herself. Her mother (Felicity Huffman) is writing a book on Alice in Wonderland based on her dissertation, and Phoebe is becoming obsessed with Alice. When the new drama teacher, Miss Dodger (Patricia Clarkson) decides to stage a production of Alice, Phoebe finally works up the courage to try out for the part, and is outstanding, and also discovers that her symptoms disappear when she's on stage. Unfortunately, they get worse off stage, with compulsive behavior, spontaneous insults, spitting and apparent hallucinations. We naturally eventually find out what's wrong with her (Tourette's Syndrome combined with a lot of Obsessive-Compulsive disorder, which I figured out about forty minutes in since I recognized the symptoms).

Phoebe in Wonderland distinguishes itself from the usual disease of the month movie by excellent acting and the unconventional way Miss Dodger teaches her students to put on the play, which pays big dividends toward the end of the movie.

Elle Fanning is very good as Phoebe, which is good since she's on-screen about 80% of the time. I think she's better than her big sister was at her age. Felicity Huffman, Patricia Clarkson and Bill Pullman are impeccable, as is Bailee Madison as Phoebe's little sister. (Bailee was the little girl in Bridge to Terebithia.) Campbell Scott is a bit odd as the school principal, who's overmatched in his job.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Grace.........I just read the book.........but I think a movie about Lindbergh would be in order.

Gromit: I have been to the Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore. It is the home base for outsider art. I really liked Seraphine.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I read The Plot against America a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, even though I'm usually not a huge Philip Roth fan. Put a very interesting spin on Lindbergh, Henry Ford and Roosevelt. I agree Lindbergh would be an interesting character to flesh out for a film.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I've never finished a Philip Roth novel. Not even Portnoy's Complaint.

-Topher
lshap
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I know where you're comin' from. For its time, Portnoy's Complaint grabbed people by the balls with its style and its 'Oh-My!' audaciousness. But as a story it's mediocre. And decades after it was written, I found I was kind of numb to the shock and awe of all the bodily fluids.
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Was surprised that I enjoyed Andy Warhol's Lonesome Cowboys, since I haven't really liked any other of his films I've seen. Cowboys is low-budget and amateurish, but has an energy and wit about it even as it muddles around. It was fun to watch.
It certainly beats Brokeback Mt. to the gay cowboy genre by nearly 40 years. Similarly, it's not just gay, as some of the cowboys try to make it with a female ranch owner, while the sheriff is a transvestite prostitute in his spare time.

It's got a ridiculous way of transposing middle-class suburbaness, with a gay twist, into the cowboy/mythical West. The sheriff talks a like a Republican accountant, while the cowboys worry about their hairstyles. One young buff cowboy talks about how to wear a gun; the trick is to buff up your thighs and tighten your butt so that your pistol will standout he explains, as he uses a hitching post to demonstrate some ballet exercises.

I liked one bit of dialogue where another buff young cowboy talks of wanting to settle down, raise a family, build up a town, and get ready for World War One.

It really is a document of the subversive 60's that is worthy of being seen.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Lonesome Cowboys and wrote about it back in the NYTFF days. I'll write about it here later. I'm bushed. Saw it in the theatre,
Marj
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Why can't I get rid of this damn post?

Last edited by Marj on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marj
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Hmm...I have never seen the two movies, but I've read Molnar's play. I guess I'm forgetting something. I do remember he was surly and told he would have to go to Purgatory to burn away his stubbornness and (I guess) anger. I'll have to pull that out and look at it again. Maybe they do offer him the opportunity and her turns it down, but I wonder if that was added to the movies? I think they were flops, by the way. Odd since, though it's forgotten today, Liliom was a very famous, very popular play around the globe, including America.

Joe - It's also possible that the film differs from the play. I'm only referring to the film. I've never seen or read the play. But the reasoning makes sense.
Marj
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
I read The Plot against America a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, even though I'm usually not a huge Philip Roth fan. Put a very interesting spin on Lindbergh, Henry Ford and Roosevelt. I agree Lindbergh would be an interesting character to flesh out for a film.

I've been wanting to read this for years. And I'm not a huge Roth fan either. But I also agree there ought to be someone who's interested enough and good enough to do a fleshed out film about Charles Lindbergh.
Befade
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
He was the celebrity/icon/hero of the day. I once asked my mother why she married my father. She said because he looked like Lindbergh.

I love Philip Roth: The Human Stain and the story that was the basis for the movie with Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz.......(memory?)

And John Updike's book Terrorist is pretty good, too......if you want to read another New Jersey based story.